• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invinci-Bombing Discussion with video+Z-air RARing.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
cool beans
:D
thanks CaliburChamp
Your very welcomed. I'm glad I was able to help Toon Link players.

I can't do this as told......blast me using a classic controller........A buttons does nothing for me when I'm in the air so I gotta do this a bit differently.
Your "A" button is your attack button, so use any button that is your attack button. I'm sure you can pull it off with all controller types.

Shiiiiiz.

We can start calling stuff like: INair, IBair.
Sounds sexy.

And combos ftw. =)
You can call it that if you like to shorten the term. And it's certainly great to have a combo that leads into a KO with I-Bomb to Up-smash.

I-Drops FTW
=)

For red eyes use clear eyes :)
Haha. Yeah, you can call it that for short. Dark Toon Link needs some I-Drops to fix those red eyes. lol.

Brawl doesn't have combos :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good stuff, Calibur. I'm definitely going to have to mess with this later.
It's worth messing around with. It probably only takes 10-15 minutes to master the timing of I-bombing.

once opponents catch on, they just have to shield and then punish?
Usually your opponent doesn't shield when you use air dodge, they try to attack you after your air dodge Invinci-frames wear off, but if they try to attack they will eat the explosion. It plays with the opponents mind, so it's not too easy to see coming, unless that is all you do. But in that case you can mix it up with I-bomb to Z-air to grab/N-air.

I think it has untapped mind-game potential though. Depending on the height at which people drop the bombs, it could prevent shield-grabs or punish a shield grab. Imagine making people hesitant in shield-grabbing--that opens up frontal attacks and more aggresiveness for a TL.

At the very least, its a mental attack on people who think they got Toon Link figured. TL's can also z-air out of iBombing and it auto-cancels. With DI you could advance, ibomb, then DI back so you're out of punish length (anything still too close can probably be countered with a well timed z-air).

This just comes from experience fighting my brother, who mains TL.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er
Yes, if it is aimed and timed right. I-bombing can prevent your opponent from shield grabbing or punish them for shield grabbing. It is a good mind game technique as well if you use it wisely.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
lol, you should add something about iDrops for TL in your sig. That would be hilarious....

"Need eyedrops? Look no further.... ____."

lol....

Sincerely,

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
For iBombing can't the opponent just SH aerial to catch it if you don't time it correctly?
or idk I havent messed with it.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well yes, but then you are invincible anyways...

As I see it:

1) They catch it and aerial + you airdodge = no damage anyways....and they're stuck with a bomb in their hand.

2) Most of the opponents' deadly aerials are ridiculously faster than just throwing a bomb anyways so that puts you ahead in terms of mindgames/followups. They have to throw it, you can do anything.

3) Plus, given that even if you're opponent is good enough to drop the bomb and aerial after catching it, if they catch it with an aerial its a free z-air for the TL the moment they miss (you're airdodged mode) their aerial. If they catch it by SH airdodging, charge an u-smash or something after while they are landing or finish airdodging.

What we are trying is to see how much "potential" this new tech/approach has rather than shutting its effectiveness down early. Same with most techs that come out.

That aside, this is some really good discussion happening. Wish we had more stuff to talk about in the pika forums. Any of you seen pikachus do anything wierd or out of the ordinary. Just a random question....

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Legendary PIkachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

PS.

Good idea. ;)
That's hilarious! Props >:D

Santi

Smash Lord
This has probably been said... but this now allows us to use bombs against Olimars.
If we get a pikmen on us and we have a bomb... we can just I-drop and not take damage.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I loathe certain olimars.... if only pikachu had projectiles.

Would invincibombing work as a recovery mindgame when recovering from up high? Against shuttle loop?

Sincerely,

Santi

Smash Lord
Jerm tried to Uair me for the kill this weekend in TL dittos.

I did an I-drop and I was not touched and he took the bomb :)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Dude.... i just realized.... we were in TEXAS for the winter break for like 7 full days. We should have dropped by Santi's Clause's house for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

Sincerely,
Legendary pIkachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

PS. oh santi, if you feel bored or have some time, what do you think of the last fews posts in Bombing Like a Pro. Any ideas? Collaboration?

Chip.

you know what to do
This is really usefulsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's really good against MK's tornado when they get tornado happy when you're close to them.

with this I'll be able to defeat any MK on West coast o.o . . . . . .

(psyche)

:colorful:

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea chip. It also works on mk's shuttle loop attack. The end of it. This should be stickied or something xD

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
I don't think TL mainers understand the magnitude of this technique. Simply amazing, Calibur you are a straight up pimp. Hit me up on AiB boy.

Santi

Smash Lord
People were telling me it was useless and I just wasn't sure.
It seems to help out our close range game and that is an area where TL skills are lacking.
I think it's an excellent find and I wish I could give Calibur a hug :)

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
oh man, great find dude! I actually started working on this in training mode a couple of weeks ago but then kinda forgot about it.

Suggestion: I tend to sometimes use this move against D3 when they are trying to back air you and Im trying to get back on stage. Just do the invincibomb and they back air the bomb. Good stuff.

EDIT: wow, Ive been doing it by pressing L and Z immediately after. Didnt know you could press A instead. Definitely a good find!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This has probably been said... but this now allows us to use bombs against Olimars.
If we get a pikmen on us and we have a bomb... we can just I-drop and not take damage.
It does really help against Olimar, I think you'll be I-bombing more in this match up than most other match ups. Mainly because of Olimar's shield grabs, you can I-bomb near them, land in front of Olimar, then Olimar grabs and gets hit with the bomb, then you can follow up from there. Of course, there are many more possibilities, so if they catch on you can mix up with something else.

I loathe certain olimars.... if only pikachu had projectiles.

Would invincibombing work as a recovery mindgame when recovering from up high? Against shuttle loop?

Sincerely,
I'm sure it would. After the MK shuttle loops into the I-bomb, you can double jump and use Up-air for your follow up attack. Great potential here. :)

This is really usefulsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's really good against MK's tornado when they get tornado happy when you're close to them.

with this I'll be able to defeat any MK on West coast o.o . . . . . .

(psyche)

:colorful:

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful:
Yeah it can be used to counter tornado too if you time it and space it correctly. This is Toon Link's counter move, as down+B is to Marth's counter.

Yea chip. It also works on mk's shuttle loop attack. The end of it. This should be stickied or something xD
Toon Like = MK counter? lol. Jk. But Toon Link would stand more of a chance against MK with Invinci-bombing MK's up+B, tornado, etc.

I don't think TL mainers understand the magnitude of this technique. Simply amazing, Calibur you are a straight up pimp. Hit me up on AiB boy.
Yup, people had their doubts about this, I'm just happy to know that people are finally accepting this technique and adding this to their game. Unlike most of the Link players...
Thanks SOUP. I'll add you on AiB.

People were telling me it was useless and I just wasn't sure.
It seems to help out our close range game and that is an area where TL skills are lacking.
I think it's an excellent find and I wish I could give Calibur a hug :)
It's good because it fills in on areas where T Link is lacking, close range, and combo's that end in finishers, like the I-bomb to Up-smash, it's a true combo and registered as 2 consecutive hits in training mode. Thank's Santi. *hugs myself* lol.
oh man, great find dude! I actually started working on this in training mode a couple of weeks ago but then kinda forgot about it.

Suggestion: I tend to sometimes use this move against D3 when they are trying to back air you and Im trying to get back on stage. Just do the invincibomb and they back air the bomb. Good stuff.

EDIT: wow, Ive been doing it by pressing L and Z immediately after. Didnt know you could press A instead. Definitely a good find!
Thanks. I guess it's useful against DDD back air edge guarding too. This keeps on getting more and more interesting as we look into this in depth. I'm going to have to try this when I try to return to the stage. That is another great application!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Don't let the Link players bother you Calibur.
They suck at life. =)

And heres enough evidence that this tech is a big deal:
SOUP freaking got on to comment on it. xD

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I'm not following the button inputs or what is going on exactly. So with a bomb in hand, you are saying...

Short Hop and Air Dodge + A IMMEDIATELY after the jump, leading to a air dodge with a bomb drop. If you Zair it indicates you did it to slow.

It's not like I don't want to try it for myself, but my friend is borrowing my Wii power plug because he can't find his.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I just press them at the same time. =/
It works.

Hold on, I'll check right now.

But its sorta... not "hard", but I'm too used to waiting after an air dodge to Zair with a bomb in my hand. So its sorta awkward.
Oh well, just somethin to get used to.

Edit:
Ok, so you can do it any way you want as long as the shield button is pressed while you press A or Z.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
So... Short Hop + Shield + A all at the same time?

Short Hop, Shield (Hold), A (afterward) would cause Zair. I'm pretty positive about this since I do a lot of AD, Zair and ZAC, Zair.

I'm assuming what makes this AT interesting is you can immediately your short hop, air dodge, and drop the bomb ASAP all at the same time where as short hop, Z-drop, air dodge come with the chances of accidentally catching the bomb again or throwing the bomb in a direction by mistake because to early direction input.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not going to be able to try this out until tonight. :(

TheJerm

Smash Champion
When you do it, you'll see why its so good xD. Also, for me, I kinda of press down L first cause thats what I use to airdodge/zair, but not shield/spot dodge/airdodge o_O, then I press A immediately after. Well, in my mind its immediately after but I could be pressing it at the same time.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
O_____________O

I just realized that you can do this to stop yourself from getting hit by something while your about to land.

I EFFING LOVE YOU CALIBUR.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
O_____________O

I just realized that you can do this to stop yourself from getting hit by something while your about to land.

I EFFING LOVE YOU CALIBUR.
Next thing you know he'll find us a way to SHIELDSTAB EVERYONE. ALL THE TIME.

Please? =3

Lobos

Smash Master
lol I havent been able to this correctly since I use a hori classic controller, so I was messing around with my buttons and actually found a way to do this almost automatically. I have my r trigger set as grab and L as shield, so when I SH I hit both at the same time and get the ibomb. I have been able to ibomb into an uair kill.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
CaliburChamp, this is a really nice find. Really glad you found it. Props out to ya, man. I tried to work with this pattern before by Z-drop and Air Dodge right away, but the mechanics of the game would make me catch the bomb when I Air Dodge. This really is an answer to that. Thanks!

Anyways, if anyone is having trouble with the commands. Here's my explanation.

While in the air with a bomb, the joystick must be a neutral position + Shield + Attack simultaneously.

• Shielding and holding and pressing Attack afterward will result in a Zair instead.
  • Holding the joystick in a direction will result in a toss.
So far I found iBomb useful more so for defensive and counter purposes. Here are the situations.
  • Glide Attack Counter - The explosion doesn't allow gliders to to even land for the lag cancel.
  • Edge Guarding - Decent against players who like to jump back on the stage with an aerial. Chance of bomb being caught so need some spacing here.
  • Landing - This creates a guard against players who try to Up Smash or grab or punish you in some other way when your trying to land. Even if it's blocked it'll bounce of the shield and hover over both of you so a shield grab from your opponent will probably not be followed up.
  • Falling Aerial Counter - There is a small chance your opponent will catch it due to the stupid physics, but only MK seem to be able do this effectively with his insanely broken Uair. Other characters seem to have difficulty with this, though.
Wheew! That was all in one night of playing. There is also the MK tornado counter that others have been confirming. Let me know if there is any other ways to use it. I'm still trying to get it to be a natural part of my game play, but so far it's very useful.

I also like give a thanks to sasukebowser for explaining this better to me. Thanks again man.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well, I didn't really forget. I was just putting down the situations where iBomb helps counter your opponent when he or she typically would usually be at an advantage. I'm pretty sure it's understood that you can build of it.

For example, I have difficultly landing safely when say I'm near the middle of stage like FD. My friend who would say play as Pit has two options: Hyphen Smash or Shield Grab as I land. Pit's Hyphen-Smash is a multi-hit move so Air Dodge Land you'll get it by it. The other option is I Zair, Nair, or Bair upon landing, but he can time in a Shield (hold) + Attack, which will grab me. An iBomb in both cases would counter both options. If he Hyphen-Smash he'll set off the bomb. If he goes for a grab he'll either get hit by the bomb or block it causing it to bounce grab me as the bomb is falling back down interrupting the grab.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I haven't found a lot of practical use for this on a regular basis. But it sounds like using this as a way to help you land will come in major handy. Definitely trying that out this weekend. Most people expect me to throw a bomb down at them and either shield it, or roll to the side and try to hit me that way. But this may mess with them for a bit.

Although, now that I have learned how to do it, i tend to Idrop when I mean to do zair while holding a bomb because my body got so used to me practicing it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Good stuff on the Falling Aerial Counter Impact.

Could be a good way to punish people who try to kill you with Uair. =)
TL dittos just got gayer.

Alzi

Smash Master
I'm having a little trouble with this i air dodge then i drop the bomb but it still hits me??

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
You're probably dropping the bomb too late so you land on the explosion. Do the iBomb earlier while in your Short Hop.

Alzi

Smash Master
You're probably dropping the bomb too late so you land on the explosion. Do the iBomb earlier while in your Short Hop.
So i short hop then airdodge quickly then quickly drop the bomb? Am i ment to air dodge into my opponent then drop the bomb?

I would be testing right now but can't atm so thanks for you're help.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
While in the air with a bomb, the joystick must be a neutral position + Shield + Attack simultaneously.

• Shielding and holding and pressing Attack afterward will result in a Zair instead.
  • Holding the joystick in a direction will result in a toss.
You will automatically Air Dodge and Drop the Bomb at the same time by doing this input. So do the command right as soon as you Short Hop.

Alzi

Smash Master
You will automatically Air Dodge and Drop the Bomb at the same time by doing this input. So do the command right as soon as you Short Hop.
Ok i will test it out once i can play my wii again if i still can't do it i'll come back here for help. Thanks for the help.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Before I forget, I also want to add on to the iBomb Landing is if your opponent decide NOT to bother to wait where you may land you might as well do an iBomb Landing and shoot an arrow when you land. If he or she gives you the space and safety to do it. It might be a surprise shot for some extra damage. What happens is the air dodge animation and the explosion makes it difficult to see the arrow shooting so you opponent may not recognize that an arrow is flying at them threw the explosion. I didn't mean to do it at first but it turn out to be a nice trick.

Twin_Scimitar

Smash Cadet
Thanks a bunch Calibur Champ.

This is a really nice trick when you approach or defense gets a bit too predictable. Then you switch it up, and bang, bomb drop to up-tilt! This was a really cool find.

I wouldn't suggest bomb drop/hookshot. I find that I have to get too close to actually pull it off, which leads to me getting shield grabbed. If I space it better, it just tends to not work. I'd much rather hit for 4 less, and use my bombs for chucking/bomb droping to u-tilt or d-tilt. Still though very cool. Good find.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Uh, well iBomb seems to be better for defensive purposes. I'm sure you can use it to counter people trying to catch you as you land and add in a Zair there. IMO, iBomb isn't a good approach option, but an excellent defense option.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Sasukebowser, Santi, and ImpactAR. I really appreciate you answering questions from other players and coming up with new ways to utilize invinci-bombing. It saves me some time. And your right about everything you said before, we'll keep on coming up with ideas to utilize this. I-bombing is mostly a defensive option, and an annoying one. Offensively, it's hard to hit with, unless both you and your opponent are both playing offensive, but if your the one playing offensive, and your opponent is playing defensive, most likely the bomb will explode on you before you even get in position to I-bomb successfully.

Alot of people have been asking how to perform this. What I do is, I press L/R+A at the SAME TIME. L/R are your shield buttons. "A" is your attack button. However, it doesn't have to be at the same time. While in your air dodge animation you can drop the bomb before the second frame of the air dodge, which means... really really quick, like as soon as your air dodge animation starts, and if you don't press it fast enough, TL will hookshot instead.

I'll be updating information on the first page as Invinci-bombing evolves into more applications of uses, so I will be quoting your comments, and put them on the first post of this page to make this more easily understood. I thought it was useful when I first discovered it, now from all this discussion going on about it, I-bombing is evolving, and there is still alot of depth to cover. I never really thought it would go this far, honestly.

There is still much testing to do. :)

Top Bottom