• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introducing Snakeskipping; A new Lucas AT

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Heeell its about time. A new Advanced technique found with Lucas. I recently found it by accident but it was rather straightforward to replicate and understand how it works. There are quite many applications to this tech but i still urge you to use it advertently, if your opponent expects a snakeskip it is most likely punishable.

I'll let the video do most of the explaining, but if there are any questions just write me here or in the commentsection of youtube. Cheers! /Magnetgoat

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
The easiest way for me to do it consistently is by buffering it out of shield, since you can hold your left analog stick all the way to the right / left without running of the platform. Shield, Roll up to the ledge, keep holding shield and the analog stick, slide your thumb from jump to A. Its a shame that you need to 'reel in' the tether to get a ledgetrump, if snakeskips worked to ledgetrump it would be soo dope.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
The easiest way for me to do it consistently is by buffering it out of shield, since you can hold your left analog stick all the way to the right / left without running of the platform. Shield, Roll up to the ledge, keep holding shield and the analog stick, slide your thumb from jump to A. Its a shame that you need to 'reel in' the tether to get a ledgetrump, if snakeskips worked to ledgetrump it would be soo dope.
Seriously that easy? It's a shame I don't have time to get this in my gameplan right now because i'm leaving in 2 hours but you should be able to buffer it in a PP as well which will make it a lot harder to execute but also more threating because you can stand face-forward threating with a 2-frame d-smash and then psych them out with a PP ledgetrump -> B-air. If people see you shield near the ledge and they've seen it once they'll know what you're up too.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Yeah man! I've only done it by accident before but decided to lab it some more when i found the skipping. I hadnt even thought about it from a PP, love the feedback. Its all these small questions and thoughts that really can push the characters boundries.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Yay movement options! I'm finally getting the timing down for the various heights and angles and actually managed to get a surprise f-smash from a snakeskip on someone during friendlies at a tournament yesterday, which was pretty cool. The mix-up potential for this is really nice since you can choose to tether or not based on what your opponent's ledge guarding tendencies are. If an opponent likes to shield by the ledge you can snakeskip low to basically tomohawk grab someone from off-stage. If they like to ledge-trump you can choose to avoid the situation entirely. If the like to over-commit to covering specific ledge options, then you just tether to the ledge and punish accordingly. This is a pretty neat tool.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Nice to hear Pollo my man, the timing is quite easy after you've done it once - the tricky part is knowing the angles. :) I was thinking of doing a chart of where they are, but maybe its not needed? Yeah there are def. alot of mixups options here, I didnt even include attacks like jab, dtilt, ftilt, grab and so on but ofc that works aswell!

Btw WhYYZ, does that work with Lucas? I remember when that video came out and i thought it looked cool and tried to replicate it without any success. But if it'd work it would look hillarious haha!

Jahreem

Smash Rookie
For some reason, I can't get Lucas to grab the ledge with z-air off the momentum of the double jump whereas he grabs it fine after the double jump animation is over or when I do jump 1. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Btw WhYYZ, does that work with Lucas? I remember when that video came out and i thought it looked cool and tried to replicate it without any success. But if it'd work it would look hillarious haha!
I'm not sure, I tried it with Link and that took a good 10 minutes to get it once.
There is no reason why it shouldn't work though as you use the momentum of your character hitting the wall to go up. As long as you hit the wall fast enough and press down on the exact frame it should work, regardsless of tether recovery.
But now I really need to run, see your guys sunday. :)

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
For some reason, I can't get Lucas to grab the ledge with z-air off the momentum of the double jump whereas he grabs it fine after the double jump animation is over or when I do jump 1. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Might it be the spacing? Try replicate the distance from the video. You'll want to press down almost immediately after pressing your tether button. If this doesnt help, try recording it and I'll help.

And yeah WhYYZ, Im hoping I failed rather than it doesnt work with Lucas - I allways figured it was a height-thing :)

Last edited:

Jahreem

Smash Rookie
Might it be the spacing? Try replicate the distance from the video. You'll want to press down almost immediately after pressing your tet9+her button. If this doesnt help, try recording it and I'll help.
Will try that and let you know the results.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Much better name than what I'd come up with, but I'd thought this was already known by the average Lucas player by now. It's very helpful to use for a lagless getup.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
So, this is fun. This is Lucas EXCULSIVE. Doesn't work with other tether characters because they have to much range on their Z-air. >.< You win some, you lose some I guess. Now I'm not so sure that I want slightly more range on his throw. Insta-ledgegrab into B-air is so much win.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Huh. No wonder. I was looking around various tether characters' tether AT's and didn't see anything similar to this so I thought no one else had discovered it yet. Turns out the COULDN'T have discovered it. That's kind of cool.

When not at the correct angle, using this option results in an instant fast fall instead.
I'm enjoying using this fast fall option while leaving the edge to get a very quick momentum boost into a back air spike. Nice mixups, hope I can land it on someone.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
I'm pretty sure you're just cancelling the tether (or possibly performing the tether itself) too late, not at a bad angle. Tapping down only causes a fast fall at any time in the game if you're past the peak of your jump.

Top Bottom