• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introduce me to ZSS?

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
I'm not a new PM player, but I've been searching for characters to play other than Samus, because honestly she doesn't feel as nice in PM as she does in Melee. I played around with characters and decided ZSS and Ivysaur feel like what I want to play.

If any of you play Samus as well, could you explain the most important differences between the two?
If you don't play Samus, would you still introduce me to basic tech and essential play for ZSS?

Thank you :)

Foo

Smash Lord
I don't play much samus, but the most important difference between the two is that they are almost complete and total opposites that have almost nothing in common. ZSS is all movement movement movement. The most important basic tech for zss is being able to move as quickly and fluidly as possible. Get really good with dash dancing and being able to perfect wavedash at will during it as well as using crouch to instantly cancel run and dash the other way. Things that are equally important are wavelanding on platforms and shffling.

To learn more of what she can do, as she is a very quirky character, you can find a lot of stuff here http://smashboards.com/threads/zero-suit-mechanics-you-may-not-know-about.363917/

Reading the rest of this forum will also help, but the best way to learn would be to watch top zss players play and try to mimmick them until you build a style of your own.

But yeah, if you are trying to find a character that is like samus, you should look elsewhere. You won't find many characters less similar.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So Samus is a grounded zoning character with a really strong defensive game. She has good range, strong projectiles, and some of the best OOS options in the game. She doesn't have a great deal of safe, aggressive pokes, and her ability to safely challenge the air is limited, at best. Her gameplay is centered around her grounded pokes and solid whiff punish potential, as well as a very hard to counter edgeguard game.

ZSS, in contrast, is a movement based, bait-and-punish character with a good brickwall. She has good range and speed on her aerials, safe-ish air-to-airs, great combo potential, and a solid dash dance. Her defensive and OOS options, however, are sub-par, her projectile is underwhelming, and while her grabs are pretty decent, her throws are mediocre. She'll be utilizing the whole stage in order to bait out unsafe options from her opponent then get in and deal a lot of damage and try to set up for her pretty solid edgeguard game by knocking her opponent offstage.

It's less productive to compare the characters by asking what they have that is different, and a bit simpler to ask what they have in common. They both have pretty good edgeguard options that cover a lot and keep them pretty safe. Other than that, how they land their hits, how they capitalize on confirmations, how they set up for edgeguards, and how they play on defense are all balanced totally differently. Like Foo said, you won't find two more different characters, at least among those who are the same character.

Ok, I guess Zelda and Sheik are more different.

Top Bottom