• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Interview with Brawl's Announcer, Pat Cashman!

Source Gaming has recently published an interview with Mr. Pat Cashman -- the announcer for Brawl. The following is an excerpt from that interview!

How’d you get the job to be Brawl’s announcer? Was there an audition process?
To be honest, I don't remember. I think I was just hired and called in without a real audition. I also have to admit that I had no real idea what I was doing...how the game worked...who'd be using it, etc...

It looked nice on my resumé to say that I was the announcer on what was one of the most popular video games on the planet---but had never actually seen it myself. For awhile I would get requests from gamers to do customized versions of the announcer for birthday greetings, etc...But I had to stop doing that because I was getting too many requests...And also I wasn't sure I really had the right to be doing the character that fundamentally didn't belong to me, but Nintendo.
Any funny stories from the recording session(s)?
I remember one time when I was really going for it...Way, way over the top. I remember thinking, "Man, I am really killing it! This is the best I've ever done!" my arms are waving...I'm jumping up and down...Spit flying all over the mic...My shirt's getting sweaty...

Then, I look up and notice that there is nobody in the next room. The producers, the engineer---everybody had taken a break and were gone. What I thought might have been my best "Brawl" announcer performance ever...Had an audience of one: me.
What kind of guidance were you provided for the role of the announcer, Master Hand and Crazy Hand?
Just to make the announcer big and bombastic---even sort of old school, drawing on the over-the-top announcers that would announce pro wrestling and roller derby in the 1950's and 60's....And the goofy way some radio announcers would do their thing on music radio.
There are some characters that were cut from Brawl’s roster and the game’s director has stated that if there were more time we might have seen an extra character or two. Did you remember recording any unused character lines?
Don't recall. It has been quite awhile, after all. But, I'm certain I did record announcer parts for announcers that didn't make the cut.
...check out the rest of the interview on Source Gaming!

If you've missed it, Source Gaming also done interviews with Xander Mobus (Announcer for Smash for Wii U/3DS) and Dean Harrington (Announcer for Melee). It's been an incredibly humbling experience to talk to all of these wonderful voice actors. I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone that has supported Source Gaming for the past two years. Make sure to follow us on Twitter to stay up to date with even more Smash news and trivia.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Oh my golly--you guys are insane.
Never have I thought this sort of stuff would happen. Xander was one thing--he's hip and new on the scene, but getting these old-timers to interview--it's awesome!
But, if it would happen with anyone involved in making the Smash games, it'd definitely be the English voices!
Thanks for the hard work, and stay humbled. <3

Last edited:
Oh my golly--you guys are insane.
Never have I thought this sort of stuff would happen. Xander was one thing--he's hip and new on the scene, but getting these old-timers to interview--it's awesome!
But, if it would happen with anyone involved in making the Smash games, it'd definitely be the English voices!
Thanks for the hard work, and stay humbled. <3
We try our best. <3

Really, it's only because of the support that the community has given us. If you guys didn't support us no one would answer my e-mails!

We try our best. <3

Really, it's only because of the support that the community has given us. If you guys didn't support us no one would answer my e-mails!
No problemo! My favorite question was the funny events one. I can imagine his vivid description and the realization that there was nobody to witness it.

Oh--a few things I noticed after actually reading it: "Who’s your favorite character in Brawl? Pit. He can anywhere. Even to the mall." wat
"(Nintendo of America used to own the majority of the ) " Of the what?! I NEED TO KNOW IT WAS THE MARINERS

No problemo! My favorite question was the funny events one. I can imagine his vivid description and the realization that there was nobody to witness it.

Oh--a few things I noticed after actually reading it: "Who’s your favorite character in Brawl? Pit. He can anywhere. Even to the mall." wat
"(Nintendo of America used to own the majority of the ) " Of the what?! I NEED TO KNOW IT WAS THE MARINERS
It's been corrected! Sorry about that, I was very late in setting up the post. :X

Top Bottom