• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

InternetExplorer's Sheik Needles Gimmick - can we take this further?

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
So, I came across InternetExplorer's commentated set against M2K's Sheik a couple of days ago and that needles gimmick that he discovered got me excited. The reason I was so excited was that I had a hunch that Link's dair would interact with a grounded Link arrow in the same manner that it interacts with Sheik's grounded needles. I haven't had a chance to test it yet since I'm on a vacation, but I'll be returning home tomorrow and will begin testing this thereafter. I think it should work based on this excerpt from the "Hitbox" page on Smashpedia:

"Orange represents a damagable hitbox- These can be found on projectiles with a lifespan that can be reduced by receiving attacks (Ness' PK Fire, Link or Young Link's bombs and arrows, Sheik's needles)"

I looked into the frame data and found that Link's arrow lasts 50 frames in the ground, while Sheik's needles only last 30. I think there's definitely potential here to help Link's mix up their shield pressure and projectile game, as InternetExplorer was able to against M2K. If we incorporate more arrows between other projectiles, we can still rack up a bit of percent the way the boomerang does, but we can mix up our approaches by following up arrows with full jumps. From these full jumps we could nair as usual, but if our previously fired arrow fell short of our opponent, it would be possible to mix in dair, which our opponent would most likely shield. Then we can hit them by bouncing off of the grounded arrow into them, because they will run right into us to punish what they expect will be Link's dair's huge landing lag.

Hopefully I was able to explain that approach well enough for people to envision it or try it out themselves to see what we can come up with. Like I said though, I haven't had access to my gamecube yet so I don't know for sure that Link can dair his own grounded arrow and get the bounce. I suppose you could also use a planted bomb to avoid landing lag, but you'd just blow it up and have to avoid your opponent as best you can. Plus, the only way I see getting a bomb planted that close to an opponent in shield is in a situation where Link is under a platform his opponent is on. Link could conceivably fulljump bombplant through the platform followed by DJ dair, but it would be easier to just usmash them from below if you had that situation arise.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think of this idea (if it even works).

EDIT: I can't reach my own arrows before they fade away. I'm not particularly techskilled, but I don't think it's possible to hit your own arrow. It might be possible in teams (with 2 Links) but would probably not be very rewarding even if it were.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
I totally meant to get back to this much sooner. I still haven't tested it (and still can't at this instant), but, I don't think you can hit your own arrow. I don't think Shiek can hit her own needles either. Otherwise the needles would clash when you throw a bunch at the ground.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think that Link can hit another Link's / Young Link's grounded arrows, but since no one every uses the bow as Link, it's pretty useless. I guess it would be kinda useful against Y. Link, since his arrows are better.

Still, the needle part is pretty good to know.

Top Bottom