• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting Charizard movement quirk: Facade-Stepping

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Boring basic video example.

I noticed a few days ago that doing some moves during the IASA end frames of a whiffed Charizard standing grab causes Charizard to slide backward. During an uninterrupted standing grab, Charizard dips forward to grab, then moves back to his original position. I think it just continues the movement from the step backward Charizard normally takes at the end of a missed standing grab. However, there's more to it than that...

Most moves buffered after a standing grab are affected by the slide backward. An easy to see it is by whiffing a standing grab, then holding Down. Charizard ends up a little further back than his original standing position.

Shield, spotdodge, rolls, U-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash, grounded Jump, Dash, and crouching are all affected. Crouching looks particularly useful, as a buffered crouch can be followed up by a D-Tilt or F-Smash to dodge and counter incoming attacks, or F-Smash in the opposite direction for much greater range. Rolling away from the opponent after a whiffed grab is a little safer from retaliation as a result. A buffered Initial Dash is neat, because Charizard doesn't really move anywhere while doing it. Don't think it has any kind of utility, though.

Certain moves buffered after a standing grab cancel the sliding motion entirely, and since the IASA frames start before Charizard moves backward, the moves start further forward than his original standing position.

Jab, F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, and standing grab are all affected in this way (yes, you can travel across the stage just by buffering a Grab command repeatedly). Could be useful for Jab spacing or landing an unexpected KO move with greater range than normal.

I don't think this is a monumental discovery, but, every little bit helps, especially when our KO moves are so potent. Bait-and-counter has always been big for Charizard, so, I'm glad to see his repetoire expand.

Also, because I'm a Pokémon nerd, I'd like to name this AT something Pokémon-related. I was thinking Facade-stepping, but, I welcome any other suggestions.

Check the video at the top for a small look at it.

T-block

B2B TST
Mmm... I noticed the moving forward with jab and grab (it's the reason why we still move forward when we grab release Ness), but I never noticed a backwards movement o.o

I'm unsure if that forward movement will have much use, but if that backwards slide is significant, it could be pretty useful. Can't wait to get home to try it out - nice find.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The slide is actually enough to really mess some people up through proper baiting. I think this could really see some decent and practical uses as a mixup. I like this find a lot.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
i tend to be grab-aggressive, especially with Charizard's awesome grab-range. now when my enemies key in on it, i can use this to mess with them hahaha. cool find.

How about False Swipe? lol
or Swagger-stepping

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
False Swipe implies that the original move isn't threatening, which is not the case.

I just don't like to see the word "swagger," I suppose.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Is there any chance this works with a wiffed pivot-grab as well? I'd test it myself but I wont get the chance for a day or two and I figure that you already tried it.

I'm also wondering what you think the most practical use is so far. I like the idea of just making a habit out of holding down whenever I miss a standing grab and following with a down-tilt, mostly because I feel like I don't use that move enough. That or a jab combo, since its fast and will likely protect from any dash attack that the opponent tries to use to punish the initial grab wiff.

How about double-edge? Iirc, charizard can learn that move and the animation is a step back and an attack. Also kinda makes sense because you'll either get grabbed or hit after the wiff (double-edged sword?). Or maybe return, because the animation also includes a step back and of course, it depends on how much your charizard loves you :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, my name never really caught on, anyway. That's why my video called it Zero Switching.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Cool find, Reflex!

The only other names I can think of are Reversal, Endure, and Double Team. But I like Facade Step, too. :)

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There's fake out too, because he is kinda faking out, but he doesn't learn that either.

In terms of moves he learns, you've got swords dance, because he is doing a movement to make his attack better lol.

Baton pass was always a cooler name than zero switching.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Who cares what the founder called it call it what you want you're like the Red of smash.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
lol tru, whatever you called it would probably have been the term that caught on.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Baton passing is technically an inaccurate term because BPing is switching whilst passing on stat changes.

Zero switching is more akin to getting a free switch in, so calling volt-switch or whatever that electric move is that gives you a switch would be more accurate. U- turn also works but it doesn't sound as good.

Not that any of this matters anyway.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
This should be titled counter/focus stepping because we are either dodging a move and counter striking or focus on a setup and smashing them.

Named after counter and focus blast both of which Zard can learn. :D

Then again Giga Impact just sounds devestating LOL.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Sorry for the bump but I thought it could be useful to know it...

This technique also works if you drop through a platform : you get a little "boost" backwards.

For instance, you can go to the top platform of BF, go to the edge of this platform while facing the center of it, grab and press down (the timing is fairly large, you don't want to crouch so do it after the IASA frames). Even if you don't move in the air, you'll land on the middle platform.

Of course you can still move during this "boost". :p

Top Bottom