• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interested to pick up Roy?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

When I played Project M, I really do have a hard time deciding on how many characters I should focus on. I play only two characters in Smash 4 and only one in PM so far. My main is:marth:so far and I picked an interest on:roypm:recently. Basically I do have some questions (I`ve read Sethlon's guide btw) :
1) What are my main and safe approach options as Roy?
2) Good solo daily practice routine for Roy?
3) Is it better to focus on both Marth and Roy or should I only focus on Marth? For a bit of background, I love Smash 4 and PM equally, but I feel more comfortable in Smash 4. Marth and Roy are the only characters in PM that can totally fit my criterias for a main, but I'm still not sure if Roy truly fits me...
4) Does it happen that playing Marth and Roy at the same time can be hard to adapt due to their different spacing ability? I`ve been having this problem and Roy can mess up my Marth play a lot. If I would have to choose between Marth or Roy to only focus on, I would choose Marth if focusing on both doesn't work.

Thanks for answering these questions. I really want a complete answer for question 3 preferably since it's the one that I'm more curious to hear...

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
1.) Roys main approach option is dtilt. It actually might be the best individual neutral tool in the game because of its good range, reward, ability to chew through ASDI down (aside from the very tip at low percents), and its extremely low lag (FAF on frame 20.. which is ridiculously good). when you combine skillful DDing with this move (and good pivoting skills as well, if you really want to refine your game), this moves becomes great for covering space while staying very low commitment (its extremely hard to punish a whiffed dtilt). his other main approach is grab, which is his best method of dealing with CCing. it has great range (2nd best grab reach in the game, behind just marth) and the reward is very high as well, mainly because of the 50/50 DI mixup with fthrow/bthrow, and the ability to connect straight into dtilts, dash attacks, side bs, fsmashes, and bairs, all which are incredibly rewarding combo/kill options. side b is another main approach option, that mainly is great for nabbing people out of the air due to its aerial coverage and reward. those are his main 3, aside from those, you may consider spaced ftilts, dash attacks, and sometimes a nair as approach options as well (just use these a bit more carefully because of the increased commitment on them). In MUs with characters that have slower run speeds, ftilts become significantly safer.

2.) practice pivots. pivot fsmashes, pivot dtilts, and pivot ftilts are all really really good. theyre not hard to perform in pm like they were in melee. when you run or DD, just slightly tilt the control stick the other way to do an empty pivot. also, practice ledge dashes. good ledge dashing is really critical for maximizing roys ability to get back on stage from recovering. additionally, practice hitting the spike from dtilts. when you start to get good at this, you may try to hit it from a fair. DI in on a fair will get you a dair spike. Theres a whole thread I wrote about this (http://smashboards.com/threads/di-mix-ups-landing-ken-combos-with-roy.426286/). Other than that, just practice good fundamentals like proper DDing, WDing, dtilting consistently from a DD at the minimum range, WLing on platforms, etc.

3.) IMO, its good to stick with one character UNTIL you get to a certain skill level. after that, I believe that practicing 2 characters (and sometimes more), will actually really improve your gameplay since it forces you to focus on your gameplan with a given character instead of autopiloting. it also helps you become more aware of the different timings you need to input with attacks and movements as opposed to relying strictly on your muscle memory. Those things get brought into focus way better when playing a couple characters, and overall, will help increase your practical knowledge of the nuances of the game. mainly, I would say you should judge whether or not you should try two characters based on your fundamentals. if you can apply DDing in a practical sense to bait and punish moves, make use of simple WD OOS and WL onto platforms, sweetspot the ledge relatively consistently, L-cancelling is down pretty solidly, then I would say you should definitely add another character. If you dont understand what any of those terms are, it might be good to look them up, and work on some of the basic applications of them with a single character before trying to overwhelm yourself by learning two characters essentially from scratch at the same time. at the end of the day, its up to you to determine whether or not you should, but i truly believe that you will be ultimately limiting yourself if you never learn another character.

4.) just like any other combination of characters, when you focus on your general gameplan (what your main approach options should be, how to perform basic combos with that char, how to connect into kills from hit confirms, etc.) instead of going on autopilot and just hitting buttons that your remember work, you should be able to perform consistently well with each character, without messing up becuase you were used to one or the other. The goal is to make every move you make completely intentional. Like, whenever you do something in game, you can periodically ask yourself "why did I just do that?" and if you cant answer that, then you should be trying to focus more on intentionally implementing your strategies. if you find that youre playing marth, and getting messed up because you are used to playing roy in conjunction with him, then (again), you should try more consciously implementing your inputs.

Kulty

Smash Ace
1.) Roys main approach option is dtilt. It actually might be the best individual neutral tool in the game because of its good range, reward, ability to chew through ASDI down (aside from the very tip at low percents), and its extremely low lag (FAF on frame 20.. which is ridiculously good). when you combine skillful DDing with this move (and good pivoting skills as well, if you really want to refine your game), this moves becomes great for covering space while staying very low commitment (its extremely hard to punish a whiffed dtilt). his other main approach is grab, which is his best method of dealing with CCing. it has great range (2nd best grab reach in the game, behind just marth) and the reward is very high as well, mainly because of the 50/50 DI mixup with fthrow/bthrow, and the ability to connect straight into dtilts, dash attacks, side bs, fsmashes, and bairs, all which are incredibly rewarding combo/kill options. side b is another main approach option, that mainly is great for nabbing people out of the air due to its aerial coverage and reward. those are his main 3, aside from those, you may consider spaced ftilts, dash attacks, and sometimes a nair as approach options as well (just use these a bit more carefully because of the increased commitment on them). In MUs with characters that have slower run speeds, ftilts become significantly safer.

2.) practice pivots. pivot fsmashes, pivot dtilts, and pivot ftilts are all really really good. theyre not hard to perform in pm like they were in melee. when you run or DD, just slightly tilt the control stick the other way to do an empty pivot. also, practice ledge dashes. good ledge dashing is really critical for maximizing roys ability to get back on stage from recovering. additionally, practice hitting the spike from dtilts. when you start to get good at this, you may try to hit it from a fair. DI in on a fair will get you a dair spike. Theres a whole thread I wrote about this (http://smashboards.com/threads/di-mix-ups-landing-ken-combos-with-roy.426286/). Other than that, just practice good fundamentals like proper DDing, WDing, dtilting consistently from a DD at the minimum range, WLing on platforms, etc.

3.) IMO, its good to stick with one character UNTIL you get to a certain skill level. after that, I believe that practicing 2 characters (and sometimes more), will actually really improve your gameplay since it forces you to focus on your gameplan with a given character instead of autopiloting. it also helps you become more aware of the different timings you need to input with attacks and movements as opposed to relying strictly on your muscle memory. Those things get brought into focus way better when playing a couple characters, and overall, will help increase your practical knowledge of the nuances of the game. mainly, I would say you should judge whether or not you should try two characters based on your fundamentals. if you can apply DDing in a practical sense to bait and punish moves, make use of simple WD OOS and WL onto platforms, sweetspot the ledge relatively consistently, L-cancelling is down pretty solidly, then I would say you should definitely add another character. If you dont understand what any of those terms are, it might be good to look them up, and work on some of the basic applications of them with a single character before trying to overwhelm yourself by learning two characters essentially from scratch at the same time. at the end of the day, its up to you to determine whether or not you should, but i truly believe that you will be ultimately limiting yourself if you never learn another character.

4.) just like any other combination of characters, when you focus on your general gameplan (what your main approach options should be, how to perform basic combos with that char, how to connect into kills from hit confirms, etc.) instead of going on autopilot and just hitting buttons that your remember work, you should be able to perform consistently well with each character, without messing up becuase you were used to one or the other. The goal is to make every move you make completely intentional. Like, whenever you do something in game, you can periodically ask yourself "why did I just do that?" and if you cant answer that, then you should be trying to focus more on intentionally implementing your strategies. if you find that youre playing marth, and getting messed up because you are used to playing roy in conjunction with him, then (again), you should try more consciously implementing your inputs.
Thanks a lot. I think I'm only going to focus on Marth for PM. Roy kinda messes me up and when I go back to Marth, I kinda tend to play Marth like Roy which is not what I want to do. Also, I wanted to learn a bit of the other characters so that I can have a general idea on how to play the overall cast while only focusing on Marth.

Top Bottom