• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input Lag on Wii for Flatscreen

Connor Thompson

Smash Rookie
I'm just getting into Melee and was wondering if my flatscreen has composite inputs (red-white-yellow) would it be low on lag on a Wii? I could get a CRT but I really don't have room and don't want to get one unless its the best option.
I play on dolphin currently but my monitor is not very good

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm just getting into Melee and was wondering if my flatscreen has composite inputs (red-white-yellow) would it be low on lag on a Wii? I could get a CRT but I really don't have room and don't want to get one unless its the best option.
I play on dolphin currently but my monitor is not very good
Chances are it has lag

flim

Smash Rookie
the usual lcd's usually have a ton of lag
crts are the way to go for melee unless you have a 1ms 144hz monitor or something for your computer while using dolphin emulator.
yes, crts are clunky and weigh 2 billions tons, but they are pretty much the best for melee

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
I've wondered about the same thing before. My flat screen has composite. I often like to do a little shorthop backflip with a waveland to slide on the ground with falco. And I noticed that on the CRT I input the waveland right before I hit the ground and on the flatscreen I input it pretty much halfway in the shorthop, so deffinetly a noticable difference.

You can always look for a tiny little CRT TV. Heck, mine even takes less space than my flatscreen. (banana for scale)

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Also, if your monitor has low input lag you could buy a Sewell Wii to HDMI adapter and play with under a frame of lag. However, that’s probably unlikely since it seems like it’s more of a TV than a gaming monitor.

Side note, if you’re looking up input lag for a monitor- the advertised “response time” of a monitor is not the same as input lag. When you see a 1 ms monitor that number has to do with how fast a pixel can change, not how much delay there is on the incoming signal.

Top Bottom