• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Yeah, they seem very good possibly number 1, shocking it isn’t getting attention

And imo they’re the most toned down number 1 in the series if everything stays at is, cause their only true weakness is killing sometimes and they don’t truly excel at anything, it’s kind of a good at all master of none
Yeah, those are kind of my thoughts. I know people are demanding Roller nerfs but TBH I feel the potency of Roller is extremely exaggerated and people just get frustrated by the bury effect because you're helpless at high percents.

I dunno if they struggle too much with killing, though; Their aerials (especially Up-Air and Back-Air) have crazy knock-back and come out super quick and are super safe. Their edge-guard and gimp game is also some of the best in the game thanks to their recovery letting them go super far off-stage. I think it's just that their kills rely on set-ups rather than just getting in a quick Smash Attack.

VollrathFGC

Smash Cadet
Yeah, those are kind of my thoughts. I know people are demanding Roller nerfs but TBH I feel the potency of Roller is extremely exaggerated and people just get frustrated by the bury effect because you're helpless at high percents.

I dunno if they struggle too much with killing, though; Their aerials (especially Up-Air and Back-Air) have crazy knock-back and come out super quick and are super safe. Their edge-guard and gimp game is also some of the best in the game thanks to their recovery letting them go super far off-stage. I think it's just that their kills rely on set-ups rather than just getting in a quick Smash Attack.
“I think it’s just that their kills rely on set-ups”

Yeah having kills off set ups is good, but sometimes it’s kind of a curse, look at Smash 4 Sheik, she had a ton of set ups but once she got past the ranges for the kills they aren’t dying until 200, Inkling has kind of that problem as well since their smashes aren’t fantastic raw, you have to be able to get a good read and kill them right then or you risk these things

Their edge guarding game is fantastic though so it won’t happen too often, but there are going to be those times

D

Deleted member

“I think it’s just that their kills rely on set-ups”

Yeah having kills off set ups is good, but sometimes it’s kind of a curse, look at Smash 4 Sheik, she had a ton of set ups but once she got past the ranges for the kills they aren’t dying until 200, Inkling has kind of that problem as well since their smashes aren’t fantastic raw, you have to be able to get a good read and kill them right then or you risk these things

Their edge guarding game is fantastic though so it won’t happen too often, but there are going to be those times
Yeah, that's true. Their Smashes are definitely good, but they usually need to be charged to get a kill unless they're at high percents or near the edge of the stage. That's kind of why Roller needs to be the way it is, IMO; I think nerfing it too hard would basically make the move unusable past an extra jump off-stage. Their setups are definitely good, but as you said they can be finicky; Up-Throw > Up-Air is weird on certain characters with some being able to escape it at different percents and some having really small windows to get it at the required percentage for it to kill.

I feel like Inklings are in the same position as K. Rool was at launch; they're new, and rather than learn how to deal with them, some would rather they just get gutted and have no one play them so they don't have to adapt. They definitely have weaknesses, it's just a matter of knowing what they are and how to apply them to a match-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

VollrathFGC

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's true. Their Smashes are definitely good, but they usually need to be charged to get a kill unless they're at high percents or near the edge of the stage. That's kind of why Roller needs to be the way it is, IMO; I think nerfing it too hard would basically make the move unusable past an extra jump off-stage. Their setups are definitely good, but as you said they can be finicky; Up-Throw > Up-Air is weird on certain characters with some being able to escape it at different percents and some having really small windows to get it at the required percentage for it to kill.

I feel like Inklings are in the same position as K. Rool was at launch; they're new, and rather than learn how to deal with them, some would rather they just get gutted and have no one play them so they don't have to adapt. They definitely have weaknesses, it's just a matter of knowing what they are and how to apply them to a match-up.
Exactly, and hey, if they do turn out to be the best in the game I’m completely ok with it

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Yeah I'm Surprised too...where is everyone? You'd think inkling would get more traffic than this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm Surprised too...where is everyone? You'd think inkling would get more traffic than this
Really is surprising, especially when they're most likely gonna end up in the higher character playerbases if things keep going the way they are.

Are the other character threads this empty?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Really is surprising, especially when they're most likely gonna end up in the higher character playerbases if things keep going the way they are.

Are the other character threads this empty?
some aren't(Ridley and K.Rool get consistent traffic)but others like this and Isabelle yeah pretty much Hell Bowser Ganondorf and duck hunt are dead zones as far as social threads go

to tell you how bad it was

when the game came out it wasn't until December 9th that a post was made to the bowser social thread then one post on the 10th then one on the 11th and then nothing until the 17th

after christmas the thread was a ghost town until this past monday

D

Deleted member

some aren't(Ridley and K.Rool get consistent traffic)but others like this and Isabelle yeah pretty much Hell Bowser Ganondorf and duck hunt are dead zones as far as social threads go

to tell you how bad it was

when the game came out it wasn't until December 9th that a post was made to the bowser social thread then one post on the 10th then one on the 11th and then nothing until the 17th

after christmas the thread was a ghost town until this past monday
Really? Bowser's always been a Smash favorite, I'm surprised to hear his social thread is that empty...

Back in the Smash 4 days, the social threads for a lot of characters were pretty active. I myself was a frequent poster in the Corrin Social Thread.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Yeah Bowser's social thread is just depressing to look at....certain characters get some consistent traffic on their social thread but others like the ones i mentioned aren't so lucky

Wario For Example only has 6 pages on his social thread(at one point that social thread went from December 8th and didn't get a response again until December 16th)

just check it out for yourself and You'd be shocked at what social threads are dead or aren't as active as they should be(Palutena's a better character this time around yet her character board isn't that active)

D

Deleted member

That's really surprising! I would've figured with how much bigger the player base is for Ultimate that we would have huge character threads this go around.

It's a pretty big shame, actually; I was hoping to see this place get a little more lively after the game came out. Are the Discord servers more popular, or something?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
That's really surprising! I would've figured with how much bigger the player base is for Ultimate that we would have huge character threads this go around.

It's a pretty big shame, actually; I was hoping to see this place get a little more lively after the game came out. Are the Discord servers more popular, or something?
that's one explanation that could be given but not every character has a discord server and if they do the smashboards aren't mentioning them

ande

Smash Cadet
Could also be because of the time of the year ultimate came out.

I guess there are many people how just got the game for christmas and many of those, including me, first played a bit to have a clue which they could main and which thread they should follow, since there are literally 74 character to choose now.

Also i think there would have much more traffic in any thread if the game would have came out during summer break or after new year.
Most forums run on kinda low heat if theres christmas time or other family holydays.

It could also be because it seems to me there are much more smasher than befor getting their inputs from twitter, then it was a few years befor.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Isn't there a sister site to Smashboards called Squidboards that is all about everything Splatoon-related?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
and? what's that got to do with squidboards they mainly talk about splatoon over there and just the games not the inklings being in ultimate

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
and? what's that got to do with squidboards they mainly talk about splatoon over there and just the games not the inklings being in ultimate
Because all other topics regarding Inklings are taken there, only Smash Inklings are left here. And with only one valid topic you run out of things to talk about pretty quickly.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Silly drawing I did earlier

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It is based on a few matches I had with a PAC-MAN player online, where I got obliterated. I am beyond bad with the Inkling, lol

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm Also Quite Bad....originally thought i would main inkling but turned out I would main K.Rool maybe i should get back into using inkling soon and perhaps have them as a backup to K.Rool

Reila

I still consider myself an Inkling main but I actually play Isabelle the most.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Trying to get more characters into Elite Smash makes me feel like I'm not an Inkling main.

Reila

Is this Elite Smash thing exclusive to quick play? I don't think I have played on match outside of battle arenas yet.

Reila

I am giving the Inklings another try as they were ultimately the fighter was hyped the most to play in Smash Ultimate. I am definitely getting better with them, I just need to get used to the aerials (I really like using aerials). I still feel like some matchups are super annoying (like Cloud) but I suppose that is to be expected.

D

Deleted member

I am giving the Inklings another try as they were ultimately the fighter was hyped the most to play in Smash Ultimate. I am definitely getting better with them, I just need to get used to the aerials (I really like using aerials). I still feel like some matchups are super annoying (like Cloud) but I suppose that is to be expected.
Keep at it. They're tricky, but they are so much fun and really rewarding to play.

And yeah, their air-game is so much fun. Their so quick and combo into so much, it's crazy. Plus, they all can be used to get kills, which is crazy lol.

Reila

Keep at it. They're tricky, but they are so much fun and really rewarding to play.

And yeah, their air-game is so much fun. Their so quick and combo into so much, it's crazy. Plus, they all can be used to get kills, which is crazy lol.
Thanks. So far what I enjoy the most is edgeguarding with the splat bomb. My biggest priorities right now are to use Splattershot consistently, and to learn those sick up throw combos I read about (if you have any videos showcasing them, let me know).

I am almost certain the answer is no, but can you drag people (down) with you with Inklings nair like you can with Greninja's uair?

D

Deleted member

I am almost certain the answer is no, but can you drag people (down) with you with Inklings nair like you can with Greninja's uair?
I haven't tried that, but I'm assuming no since the knock-back seems to send people to the side due to the hitbox.

Reila

You are probably right. It just feels like you should be able to.

Similarly I keep trying to up B into uair like you can do with Sonic but it obviously never works since you only leave squid form when hitting the ground

D

Deleted member

Yeah, habits from other characters can be hard to break. I'll shield and hold B as if to refill my ink while playing K. Rool after getting a K.O. because I'll forget I'm not Inkling for a second, lol.

Reila

Has anyone been able to midair roller into uair or nair consistently?

D

Deleted member

Has anyone been able to midair roller into uair or nair consistently?
Haven't tried that, but it could work with input buffering. An idea I've been playing around with lately is using roller as a fake-out to lead in to shorthop DAir, which can be chained together with Up-Smash or Up-Air at certain percents.

Reila

Haven't tried that, but it could work with input buffering. An idea I've been playing around with lately is using roller as a fake-out to lead in to shorthop DAir, which can be chained together with Up-Smash or Up-Air at certain percents.
I do the fake out thing a lot, probably because I am used to playing Bowser Jr. I am really glad there is some versatility when it comes to how you use the roller.

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I recently made a full blown breakdown on Inkling's moveset. Love to know what yall think of it :)

D

Deleted member

nice to see the inkling made top 8 at Genesis 6
They did? Nice.

The recent roller nerf seems pretty harmless in the long run as well. Excited to see where they end up in the future!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
and cosmos just got eliminated 3-1 after he sd'ed by accident on the last match and whiffed his up-b trying to recover onto the stage....

inkling goes out like a real chump sadly...

Top Bottom