• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I remember picturing the Inklings in Smash almost a year before the game even released. When I first made the Inkling banner I had about ten pieces of art to work with and choose from. Now there are hundreds, maybe thousands. But probably back down to hundreds if you only use the ones that aren't gross. ;P

Very happy this series struck a chord with fans in the way it did, for many reasons. One of the bigger ones being now we get to see them in Smash. And I hope and expect that'll happen sooner than later. :)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well see, I don't play with motion aiming either most of the time, but for me the camera movement felt much slower, more limited. Once again, I've been playing a lot of FPS's lately with around 90 horizontal sensitivity, so it could be that, but it really threw me off. Hopefully we'lloyd be able to adjust the sensitivity in the future. Or maybe it's better with the Pro Controller? Idk, I just hope the gameplay didn't get a massive overall or anything, I don't want another Melee -> Brawl scenario, I liked Splatoon's gameplay just fine, just need more content and features imo.
I saw a sensitivity slider in the options menu.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I saw a sensitivity slider in the options menu.
Ok cool, I had to rush in to get a match, I got there late. Didn't notice the options.

EDIT: Played it again after playing the original Splatoon; the right stick is definitely a little different, but it's not nearly as bad as I originally thought it was. My biggest complaints right now are that you can't jump while shooting with the Splat Dualies, and B is Jump instead of X (which isn't a big deal), so yeah can't wait for it to come out.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I would be mores surprised if inklings werent added as at least dlc and i think there is alot of potential with this addition that i hope they execute on.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
My support for the Inklings wasn't really there during the ballot era, but now that I've gotten my hands on Splatoon 2 Global Testfire, I can say without a shadow of doubt I'd like to see the Inklings playable in Smash. They are just so spunky and full of personality. Their game is colorful, fun, and inviting. With Splatoon working on its second game, shaping up to be even bigger than the first, while also establishing itself as a prime mainstay series... Inklings have more than earned their place in Smash Brothers.

I support.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
I support this I'm actually a little shocked nothing splatoon related was added to smash 4. (besides mii costumes)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I support this I'm actually a little shocked nothing splatoon related was added to smash 4. (besides mii costumes)
I'd say "I think it was just a little too early to add them", but on the other hand, Corrin, from Fire Emblem Fates, was added as DLC under similar circumstances, so I don't think that quite holds up. :laugh:

Still, I'm very hopeful that we'll see the Inklings make a splash this time around!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd say "I think it was just a little too early to add them", but on the other hand, Corrin, from Fire Emblem Fates, was added as DLC under similar circumstances, so I don't think that quite holds up. :laugh:

Still, I'm very hopeful that we'll see the Inklings make a splash this time around!
You're bringing back painful memories with that statement. I heard 'it was too early', too many times, but the same people always seemed to gloss over Corrin.

I like to think Inklings didn't make it because of the 3DS. I'm going to keep telling myself that, because I can't accept a reality that they're considered lower priority then Corrin.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You're bringing back painful memories with that statement. I heard 'it was too early', too many times, but the same people always seemed to gloss over Corrin.

I like to think Inklings didn't make it because of the 3DS. I'm going to keep telling myself that, because I can't accept a reality that they're considered lower priority then Corrin.
i think sakurai's obsessed with FE now so we'll be lucky if we get anyone else

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
i think sakurai's obsessed with FE now so we'll be lucky if we get anyone else
Well even he said "there's too many Fire Emblem characters" so at least he's aware there's a lot.

I don't mind FE at all, but I'm not the biggest fan, and watching that series get all that extra attention during the entirety of Smash 4's character reveals has left me pretty salty.

I swear, watching the Corrin reveal was just surreal, it was one of the most painfully bad choices that could have been made, and it happened. People were already split after Robin and Lucina were revealed, on whether the series had too many reps, and it just kept happening making the debate even worse. The thing is, it's not that getting Fire Emblem characters is bad, it's that other series have fans that play Smash too, and it's really not fair to them to have to deal with getting nothing, and watching another series get so much.

A lot of fans don't seem to understand that here though, they just say 'muh representation' and act like it's just a word.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Whilst this holds up with pre-existing characters like the Ice Climbers, it doesn't hold up with not-yet-made characters at a time when they were designing around the 3DS/scalability. ;)

Anyway, I think that a lot of things about Smash 3DS/Wii U were very circumstantial, as I feel that the pair were, in part, a test-run for a scalable engine for the then-future hybrid console (I've been saying this since before we knew what the Switch was, as the direction of the market made it fairly clear a long time ago that Nintendo's next machine would be a hybrid), which will need to scale on one machine rather than two.

As a result of this view, the way I see it is that there were things that were left alone because Smash Switch is going to need to make a very big impact.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Whilst this holds up with pre-existing characters like the Ice Climbers, it doesn't hold up with not-yet-made characters at a time when they were designing around the 3DS/scalability. ;)

Anyway, I think that a lot of things about Smash 3DS/Wii U were very circumstantial, as I feel that the pair were, in part, a test-run for a scalable engine for the then-future hybrid console (I've been saying this since before we knew what the Switch was, as the direction of the market made it fairly clear a long time ago that Nintendo's next machine would be a hybrid), which will need to scale on one machine rather than two.

As a result of this view, the way I see it is that there were things that were left alone because Smash Switch is going to need to make a very big impact.
I agree with most of this, it's definitely possible that some bigger names were being held back for the Switch in order to make an impact, I do still believe the Inklings if done correctly, would've been a challenge to get working for the 3DS. All that ink can't be easy on that poor console.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I agree with most of this, it's definitely possible that some bigger names were being held back for the Switch in order to make an impact, I do still believe the Inklings if done correctly, would've been a challenge to get working for the 3DS. All that ink can't be easy on that poor console.
The thing is, there would be no need to render realistic ink or huge amounts of it. ;) Smash is viewed from the side - you're barely going to see any of it when it's on the ground.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The thing is, there would be no need to render realistic ink or huge amounts of it. ;) Smash is viewed from the side - you're barely going to see any of it when it's on the ground.
I remember reading somewhere that while its viewed from the side it's always developed in the 3 dimensions. That's why Mr. Game and Watch is developed in 3D before being visually simplified to 2D, and why certain hitboxes act as they do. Obviously this all sounds like gibberish as I'm very rusty on the subject matter, but I do believe it would be more challenging then you suggest.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I remember reading somewhere that while its viewed from the side it's always developed in the 3 dimensions. That's why Mr. Game and Watch is developed in 3D before being visually simplified to 2D, and why certain hitboxes act as they do. Obviously this all sounds like gibberish as I'm very rusty on the subject matter, but I do believe it would be more challenging then you suggest.
This is correct, but paring it down for the 3DS would be very easy - make the resulting ink a flat texture. The Inklings wouldn't need to run a secondary AI like the Ice Climbers do, or anything like that.

Planting a flat texture in a certain location (to use the example of inking the ground) and having the program make it affect players in a certain way, is not really any different from how the game handles power-ups, items, and stage-hazards as it is. Smash 3DS has zero problems with power-ups, items, and stage-hazards.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's possible that 3DS could've made an impact. The ink would probably be possible on the handheld, yeah, but that'd also require compromising the mechanic in some way. So, combined with the huge splash Inkling could make for a brand-new game, this could've led Sakurai to hold off on them until the next game on a more powerful console. He's very devoted to accurately representing characters and series in Smash through mechanics – Popo didn't get in without Nana, and most of the newcomers that did make the cut this time around are the ones that represent their series / character in unique ways, such as Robin's Tomes, Ryu's input system, and Cloud's Limit Breaks.

Sakurai said:
Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.

I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.
Sakurai didn't even consider the possibility of adding the Ice Climbers without their duo mechanic to be a valid option – he tried removing gravity before that. (Source)

Sakurai said:
Although Robin doesn’t use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn’t the first time I’ve given moves to a character that they don’t use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Robin's signature mechanics in Smash were implemented to accurately represent his home series. (Source)

Interviewer said:
You say it was “quite a struggle,” but you wanted to implement [Ryu's input system], didn’t you? (laughs)
Sakurai said:
Ryu wouldn’t be the same without command inputs (laughs). Also, I was very particular about his animations. I essentially based Ryu’s motions off his attacks in Street Fighter II, but creating the full animations required more work. For example, when Ryu punches, his extended arm pose is the same, but the animations for extending and retracting his arm were brought to life using the animation know-how we’ve amassed making Smash.
Similarly, Sakurai saw it as a requirement to include Street Fighter's command inputs into Ryu's moveset – even though they were difficult to implement into Smash's engine. He could have excluded them, but he went the extra mile and was dedicated to an accurate representation. (Source)

Sakurai said:
The biggest problem was that Cloud is simply too strong. He boasts long reach, plenty of power, and considerable speed. With all those strengths, he’s the perfect fighter.

[...]

If you look at him in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (FFVII: AC below), he’s on a completely different plane, and I had a hard time trying to make that work within the game. Ultimately, I came up with a balanced solution as seen in attacks like his Side Smash: he takes a moment to charge up, then slashes with incredible speed.

[...]

Charging up to the limit and then unleashing a powerful attack really meshes with my impression of FFVII, so I think assigning Limit Charge as Cloud’s Down Special was a good idea.

[...]

[By] using the Limit Charge to strengthen Cloud’s Special Moves, I feel like we were able to assimilate the feel of Limits from the original game.
And of course, the same holds true for Cloud. Aside from Limit Break, Sakurai also held firm to Cloud's signature reach, power, and speed – even though it was tricky to balance. (Source)

Sakurai said:
In fact, there was even a point where in the planning stages of the previous game, “Super Smash Bros. Brawl,” I removed the Villager, the protagonist of Animal Crossing, from consideration because he wasn’t suited for battle. To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.” This is a big factor. Of course getting permission and understanding from the original creators is necessary, but whether the image of the character in my head is dancing powerfully, or not. This is of the utmost importance. On the contrary, no matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them. I think there are probably many who have looked at the trailers on the official website or pictures and realized that both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were not selected solely because they can show off their eccentricity. They each have their own individual fighting styles and strategies, and make the game more fun.
On the flipside, Villager was "axed" from Brawl because Sakurai couldn't come up with a good moveset for him – one that accurately represents the source material and brings a unique fighting style to the table. If Sakurai is unable to do a character justice, he won't include the character at all. Here it was for creative reasons, while for the Ice Climbers (and Inkling, I suspect), it was for technical reasons. (Source)

This tells me that Sakurai wouldn't want to implement a half-baked, compromised ink mechanic for the Inkling as DLC. He'd instead want to save them for later, waiting until it'd be feasible to do it right – just like how he eventually did deliver with Villager in Smash 4, giving him a unique, source-accurate moveset and fighting style.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's possible that 3DS could've made an impact. The ink would probably be possible on the handheld, yeah, but that'd also require compromising the mechanic in some way.
Here it was for creative reasons, while for the Ice Climbers (and Inkling, I suspect), it was for technical reasons. (Source)
Please could you tell me how? It's not like ink requires a secondary AI to be run, which was the problem for the Ice Climbers, and they're not going to let you completely coat the stage with it for balance reasons. And it's not like the Inklings' Squid forms would require a secondary moveset to be kept in memory unless they were being misrepresented from their abilities in their home-games (it'd just be a model-change, much like, say, Corrin can do, and a restriction to only being able to jump).

I know it's easy for folks to point to the 3DS and say "This is why the character I was hoping for didn't make it", but to the best of my knowledge, there would be no technical reason holding back a true-to-form interpretation of the Inklings in Smash 3DS.

What makes much more sense is the fact that Smash Switch is going to need to be able to tie the Inklings in with Splatoon 2's recency, and help to provide a robust selection of newcomers, in a big game for a system that they don't want to follow the Wii U's path.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats assuming that in smash theyd spread ink everywhere

Luminario

Smash Lord
And of course, the same holds true for Cloud. Aside from Limit Break, Sakurai also held firm to Cloud's signature reach, power, and speed – even though it was tricky to balance. (Source)
I like how he says that as if Cloud is remotely balanced. The ******* is Little Mac holding the Ragnell with a Samus Charge Shot.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Inklings weren't added as DLC is cause Sakurai wanted them to be THE newcomer for Smash Switch. It's likely that they'll be one of the first characters announced. Wondering whether or not the ink would be too much for the 3DS is more speculation than anything at this point. I will say that the ink is gonna be hard to implement though, especially on stages that don't have actual solid ground like Skyworld or grid-like pattern like Delfino Plaza or 2D stages like Flat Zone.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I like how he says that as if Cloud is remotely balanced. The ******* is Little Mac holding the Ragnell with a Samus Charge Shot.
Ain't that the truth? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure the only reason Inklings weren't added as DLC is cause Sakurai wanted them to be THE newcomer for Smash Switch. It's likely that they'll be one of the first characters announced.
This is my view of it, too.

Wondering whether or not the ink would be too much for the 3DS is more speculation than anything at this point.
Yeah, it is. I guess we'd best leave it there - at this point, Smash 3DS/Wii U could easily soon be behind us, and it's not like they're getting any more support.

I will say that the ink is gonna be hard to implement though, especially on stages that don't have actual solid ground like Skyworld or grid-like pattern like Delfino Plaza or 2D stages like Flat Zone.
I'd imagine that they'll just have to take some creative liberties, there, the same as they've done with many things throughout the Smash series (such as Donkey Kong using his arms to fly around like a helicopter, Toad being able to vomit spores at people, and so on). Smash does tend towards doing that where necessary, for the sake of the gameplay working properly, after all.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Something about Splatoon has come up in the gaming news. It's specific only to people in the US, but I'm sure that there'll be folks in this thread who'll want to know about it: Nintendo of America is going to hold a tournament called the Splatoon US Inkling Open, and the prize up for grabs for the winning team is a trip to E3 2017!

The details are in the press-release in the link above. I wish the best of luck to anyone who enters! :grin:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Something about Splatoon has come up in the gaming news. It's specific only to people in the US, but I'm sure that there'll be folks in this thread who'll want to know about it: Nintendo of America is going to hold a tournament called the Splatoon US Inkling Open, and the prize up for grabs for the winning team is a trip to E3 2017!

The details are in the press-release in the link above. I wish the best of luck to anyone who enters! :grin:
they was a contest in europe not long ago, cant remember what the prize was

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Obviously they could've added them if they wanted for the DLC, but if you've got an ace in the hole wait til it's most advantageous to play it; saving the Inklings until they can headline a game is better use of the character than pushing them out as tail-end DLC.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This came up in YouTube's Autoplay feature for me today. I've heard it before and I love it, but I thought that you guys might get a kick out of it;

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
More breaking news on Splatoon 2, fresh from the presses! Today we've got a brand-new stage: Humpback Pump Track.

Don't let the date fool you; this BMX track is no joke! It doubles as a Turf War arena, as its open structure and humps are well-suited for a traditional splat-down while offering a bit of a unique flavor.

You'd think that such an open map would be easy to navigate, but the slopes and hills can make it tricky to keep track of where your enemies are, and add a wrinkle to one-on-one inkounters. The new Curling Bombs should come in handy here.

Staaaaaay fresh!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hey you guys see the new character murch?

hey can wipe the abilities off your equipment leaving them blank and giving you "ability chunks" of the abilities and with enough of these chunks you can use them to give that ability to a piece of equipment basically allowing you to give your stuff the abilities you prefer (sub abilities only from what i can tell)

in a complex way but i guess they dont want it to be to easy

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I spotted this in an article about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, in my Switch's news-feed;

The interesting thing here is the line "New to the series are the Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl from Splatoon 2.", since the Splatoon content in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is actually based on the original Splatoon.

I'd say that this is telling, in its way, as it shows that they want to specifically tie this appearance in with the upcoming game for promotional purposes, rather than just mentioning the previous game or the series as a whole.

If the Inklings get added to Smash Switch, I'd imagine that we'll see similar verbiage then, too.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I spotted this in an article about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, in my Switch's news-feed;

The interesting thing here is the line "New to the series are the Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl from Splatoon 2.", since the Splatoon content in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is actually based on the original Splatoon.

I'd say that this is telling, in its way, as it shows that they want to specifically tie this appearance in with the upcoming game for promotional purposes, rather than just mentioning the previous game or the series as a whole.

If the Inklings get added to Smash Switch, I'd imagine that we'll see similar verbiage then, too.
I don't think so, or at the very least I'm missing your point.

Are you saying that the Inklings will get including while they pretend the first Splatoon didn't exist? Bayonetta didn't come over with purely Bayo 2 references, Cloud didn't have FF Explorer references at all, etc... Smash Bros is no sellout game, Sakurai said he wouldn't include Pac-Man if he had to make him in his current design; if that's not telling you he's not going to solely put a big-name character in for half-asked promotion idk what is.

If Splatoon has a Smash presence, I highly doubt it will just be Splatoon 2.

If you meant that Nintendo will advertise a possible Inkling reveal with "now you can play as the Inklings from Splatoon 2!", then yeah, I agree, because marketers gonna market.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If you meant that Nintendo will advertise a possible Inkling reveal with "now you can play as the Inklings from Splatoon 2!", then yeah, I agree, because marketers gonna market.
That's exactly what I meant, hence why I said that I expect to see similar verbiage in promotions, and only talked about the wording used in this promotion. ;)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's exactly what I meant, hence why I said that I expect to see similar verbiage in promotions, and only talked about the wording used in this promotion. ;)
Yeah rereading through it made that obvious, that's on me, my bad.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah rereading through it made that obvious, that's on me, my bad.
Hey, no worry! :grin:

I just found it interesting because it's simple-but-effective promotion, which I'm sure we're going to see plenty more of.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey, no worry! :grin:

I just found it interesting because it's simple-but-effective promotion, which I'm sure we're going to see plenty more of.
Personally I never saw it as necessary until recently. Before I just thought, if they like the character/elements to that representation, they'll look deeper for it, but recently I realized some people won't make that effort, and you gotta make it for them.

Mentioning Splatoon 2 as much as possible will get annoying for people who know better, but it will get way more fans to recognize it's existent then if they let them figure it out for themselves.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Completely forgot to do this earlier, but I still support the Inklings. They'll definitely ink the competition in the best way possible! With Splatoon 2, there are bound to be new moveset ideas for the Inklings.

And I'd say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe helps Inklings chances for a roster inclusion; it comes to show Splatoon is becoming quite a big hit on the Nintendo scene.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Looks like we have a bit of a Splatoon-clone on our hands, guys. :laugh:

This is from a 3DS game by Konami, titled "100% Pasukaru Sensei: Perfect Paint Bombers". There's no word on whether it'll be released outside of Japan, but I figured that it might be of interest, nonetheless.

Top Bottom