• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
One could treat it as an early capitalization on the Splatoon hype but I have to say with Ryu setting a newcomer + stage precedent and Super Mario Maker getting a cross-promotional stage it always struck me as odd that Splatoon never got a stage of it's own in spite of the fact that you could easily just have reskinned Lumiose City from the 3DS version and put an Inkopolis model in the background instead. Since they had six months of foresight on Splatoon with a plethora of stages from the game to draw from the option was right there, so maybe they consciously did hold off on a Splatoon stage knowing that they'd design them as characters regardless.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
They might have waited on the Inkling pre ballot decision. They could've wanted to see how popular the game would be when it was released. And if it were to be a bad game, they could've just stuck to the costumes.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It's not really good news to be honest, all of these obvious "oops did I say Squid? You weren't supposed to see that" tweets are making it look less legit. What's happening here is one of the three possible situations:

1.) They don't know **** all and are just looking for attention
2.) They actually do know something and are purposely leaking bits of info for attention
3.) They really are genuinely dumb enough to accidentally leak info

Not trying to be negative here, just trying to be the anchor that keeps our hype from flying into space.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's not really good news to be honest, all of these obvious "oops did I say Squid? You weren't supposed to see that" tweets are making it look less legit. What's happening here is one of the three possible situations:

2.) They actually do know something and are purposely leaking bits of info for attention

Not trying to be negative here, just trying to be the anchor that keeps our hype from flying into space.
I'm beginning to feel like all of the above is the correct answer here. Everyday has some different part to this story with no clear indication of how it will end.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I'm beginning to feel like all of the above is the correct answer here. Everyday has some different part to this story with no clear indication of how it will end.
Maybe. Honestly, the best case scenario is that there was an original leaker that was legit, and a bunch of people echoed the exact same info on their twitters to gain attention. It would mean that the info is true, otherwise I don't see how so many different people are coming out of the wood works claiming to have insider info without any connection to the Sakurai Squad.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Sean has already gone on record to openly say he didn't mean that tweet to be misconstrued as a "hint" on his part, which makes perfect sense since he was making a passive joke in a conversation regarding Gravity Falls. I'm inclined to believe him. Here's his response to the ordeal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ohvb5/firedragonroaar_is_overspeculating_my_tweet_i/

Let's not read too much into things. Besides, him not intending that to be a hint doesn't mean that the character isn't Inklings.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

Sean mention everyone is throwing questions at him because of the tweet about "the new character". If he didn't want to get ton of messages, then why even share that information in the first place?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
In case Inklings are announced, let me post how I wish think their moveset would be.

Up special: Super jump. Works more or less like Dedede's recovery
Down special: Dynamo roller. The Inkling slowly spreads ink through the ground, whoever steps on it is slowed down and have a delay when inputing a jump. Deals moderately to heavy damage when hitting the opponent.
Side special: Kelp Charger. The Inkling quickly aims at the target and shoots a long ranged projectile thingy (think of Tron Bonne "aiming" her gun in Marvel vs. Capcom). It naturally inks the ground, but the ink doesn't last as long.
Neutral special: Tentatrek Splattershot. Faster than Fox's neutral and with the ability to cover the ground with ink as well. Doesn't really deal that much damage.

Up Smash: Slosher. The longer you hold the button, the longer is the ranger of the ink trail.
Down Smash: Seeker. The longer you hold the button, the shorter the range and the more powerful the explosion.
Side Smash: Luna Blaster. Range is garbage as it is to be expected from the Luna Blaster, but the shot is quite powerful.
Jab: Inkbrush. The Inkling quickly swings the weapon until the button is released or they run out of ink.

Neutral aerial: ??
Forward aerial: Throws a Burst Bomb on the direction they are facing
Back aerial: Hits the opponent with the Octobrush downwards, can and will spike :p
Down aerial: Throws a Splat Bomb below them-self. Range is bad.

Dash Attack: Turns temporarily into squid and hits the opponent.

Final Smash: Kraken or Inkstrike.

P.S.: When covered by ink, the opponents become considerably heavier. That is bound to mess up with some recoveries here and there.

Stage entrance: The super jump falling animation
Up taunt: The Inkling spins the slosher on their finger
Side taunt: No idea
Down taunt: Booyah!
Winning poses: Pretty much the winning poses from the actual game. Maybe Callie and Marie or Cuttlefish could appear in one of them?
Victory music: The victory music from the game, lol

----

After typing all I realized I completely ignored the swimming mechanic. I could change the down special to "swimming" and use the Dynamo Roller as the Down Smash attack instead of the Seeker. Anyways, the moveset will likely be nothing like this, but it was fun thinking about a potential moveset for the Inklings.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
After typing all I realized I completely ignored the swimming mechanic. I could change the down special to "swimming" and use the Dynamo Roller as the Down Smash attack instead of the Seeker. Anyways, the moveset will likely be nothing like this, but it was fun thinking about a potential moveset for the Inklings.
I thought the swimming could probably work just fine as a crawl you can jump with. If you crouch, you turn into a squid, and if you're on a turfed platform, your crawl is faster than your dash, and your hitbox reduced greatly. foes could still hit you with grounded attacks and dairs, and know your position from your ink splash though.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I overheard they'res a chance we may have won for a rumored leak

I saw it lets not get overhyped just yet this is only speculation point

The only reason I want it fake so I can be hyped for inklings (aka inklings not the character revealed that day.)

(But I do want the REAL inklings in smash bros)

Reila

I thought the swimming could probably work just fine as a crawl you can jump with. If you crouch, you turn into a squid, and if you're on a turfed platform, your crawl is faster than your dash, and your hitbox reduced greatly. foes could still hit you with grounded attacks and dairs, and know your position from your ink splash though.
That could work as well!

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
If we get a Splatoon stage I hope it's either Inkopolis or Kelp Dome (or maybe it'll be like Mushroom Kingdom U and switch between a few stages?)

Also we need this in the game. Remix or not.
Personally, I want a moving-transforming stage (like Delfino and Skyloft) around Inkopolis if they have the models to do it. If they can't make that work then maybe something like Castle Siege where it transitions between different stages? It could transition to different multiplayer maps with Inklings battling in the background.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Splatoon is a video game that I've been gaining interest in the more I play it. I can definitely see the Inklings being a great Smash Bros character with all the weapons they use. I personally envision the Charger as a normal special, the Roller as a side special, the Super Jump as an Up Special, the Splat Bombs/Ink Mines as a down special, and I could go on and on.

With that rumor going around that seems to hint at the Inkling's inclusion, I guess it's finally time for me to join the Inkling Brigade! Add me to the supporters list please! They'd be a welcome addition in my book for Smash 4 DLC, and if they won't be in around that time, no doubt they'll be in Smash 5!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Here's my version of the Inklings' home stage, excerpted from my moveset: (Oh, and btw, it's written in the character of that one scientist guy from the Splatoon direct.)
Natural Habitat - Inkopolis Plaza

Image not quite to scale -- fighters should be a bit smaller
Ah, Inkopolis Plaza. This bustling central of squid culture is where every Inkling hangs out, and for good reason -- it's in this plaza where Inklings enter battles, shop for the hottest new fashion statements, practice their inking techniques, and more! They've even installed an arena right above the plaza built specifically for Smashing, and it's a pretty basic one; after all, it seems that the arena was built in order to get new Inklings into the sport. Whilst battling, fighters can see the bustling plaza below, with Inklings strolling about. You see that big screen in the upper right, next to the big tower? This will often just show strange-looking symbols scrolling across the screen, but occasionally, the Squid Sisters news, hosted by Callie and Marie -- who are, strangely enough, not sisters, but cousins -- will come on, as Callie and Marie share their thoughts on the battle, which is shown on the screen-within-a-screen behind them Pokemon Stadium-style! Fascinating! In fact, this screen contains technology such as-- wait, what's this?!

Wait a minute! It's a Splatfest! This celebration takes place on select weekends, and involves two teams of Inkling battling it out over a specific theme -- for instance, cats versus dogs. They take place at night time, and are accompanied by a city-wide party! The heart, however, of this party is definitely here in the plaza, where rather than hosting the news program, Callie and Marie are performing live on stage! This version of the stage has its own unique music, features real Miiverse posts from the event in the background, and appears whenever a Splatfest is actually going on in Splatoon! This can be selected outside of a Splatfest, however, by holding Z whilst selecting the stage, and this also allows you to select the normal stage during a Splatfest. These methods also work for My Music customization.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Here's my version of the Inklings' home stage, excerpted from my moveset: (Oh, and btw, it's written in the character of that one scientist guy from the Splatoon direct.)
My only complaint with the stage is that certain songs would be exclusive to the splatfest version. I guess you can say I'm selfish for wanting access to all of the music at all times. Your idea makes sense and matches how it works in Splatoon. Wouldnt be opposed to it. Kind of gives me a similar vibe to that 3ds Pokemon stage

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
My only complaint with the stage is that certain songs would be exclusive to the splatfest version. I guess you can say I'm selfish for wanting access to all of the music at all times. Your idea makes sense and matches how it works in Splatoon. Wouldnt be opposed to it. Kind of gives me a similar vibe to that 3ds Pokemon stage
You can choose the Splatfest version of the stage even if there isn't one happening at the moment by holding Z when you select the stage, as I detailed in the post; same goes for selecting the normal version during a Splatfest. :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Thr single thing that makes the Inklingd unique is their requirements in movement: dominating the doaxe with ink. To move as a squid. Everything else is generic. A moveset must be based around inking the ground to move with stealth and speed.

An Inkling stage, thusly, is best if static. Particularly with a few grates to fall through.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I can't help but wonder about these guys who are supposedly leaking information about this new character. I mean they're big Smash fans themselves so I'm sure they're aware how annoyed people get when character reveals are spoiled.

There is the possibility that all they know is that a new character announcement is on the way and that they're just leading us along with fake hints. I mean it wouldn't be hard to get people thinking the Inklings were on the way.

You could say they wouldn't risk their reputation but they could always justify it by saying they had the interest of the Smash fanbase in mind. (not being spoiled in advance) I feel like there are probably a lot of people who would actually be grateful for being tricked.

I don't think that's happening, I think they really are being on the nose with their hints and it is the Inklings....but it's something to think about.

Last edited:

Reila

I can't help but wonder about these guys who are supposedly leaking information about this new character. I mean they're big Smash fans themselves so I'm sure they're aware how annoyed people get when character reveals are spoiled.

There is the possibility that all they know is that a new character announcement is on the way and that they're just leading us along with fake hints. I mean it wouldn't be hard to get people thinking the Inklings were on the way.

I don't think that's happening, I think they really are being on the nose with their hints and it is the Inklings....but it's something to think about.
SOME people get annoyed when characters are leaked. Leaks give me life and I have seen plenty of people hoping for leaks to happen already.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
SOME people get annoyed when characters are leaked. Leaks give me life and I have seen plenty of people hoping for leaks to happen already.
Oh yeah I realize that. Personally I could go either way. I do like being surprised but I also love leaks. Either way I can get excited.

It's just the general consensus seems to be annoyance. (ignoring the hype for the characters themselves)

Last edited:

Reila

Most likely fake, as per usual. Edit: Yeah, looking closer it is definitely fake :p Good, the Inkling looks... weird.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Why am I getting this hype for what is probably a fake leak?

Oh well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Once more unto the breach, dear squid kids, once more!

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
You can choose the Splatfest version of the stage even if there isn't one happening at the moment by holding Z when you select the stage, as I detailed in the post; same goes for selecting the normal version during a Splatfest. :)
My bad. The dangers of reading forums when tired.

I'm hit and miss with leaks. I don't mind them but I'd prefer to be surprised out of the blue. Announcements are least hype for me when I know what's coming. I understand that others may enjoy them since you can make the argument about looking forward to something you know is certain in the near future.

Also that fake is scary. Probably an altered Mii gunner

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
My bad. The dangers of reading forums when tired.

I'm hit and miss with leaks. I don't mind them but I'd prefer to be surprised out of the blue. Announcements are least hype for me when I know what's coming. I understand that others may enjoy them since you can make the argument about looking forward to something you know is certain in the near future.

Also that fake is scary. Probably an altered Mii gunner
Probably? It is a Mii Gunner in the 2nd image. The other is the trophy altered.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead

Most likely fake, as per usual. Edit: Yeah, looking closer it is definitely fake :p Good, the Inkling looks... weird.
A bit to creepy to be real imo lol. Personally I hope nothing solid gets leaked, I remember being disappointed thinking about how hyped I would have gotten watching the Ryu direct.

jranks

Smash Cadet
Even if the leak is fake, I still think the chances of the Inklings getting in are really high. Splatoon has been doing so well in terms of sales, and it would advertise Splatoon even more, if they got added in

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

2 dead giveaways as fake

1 claims "HER" term sakurai would not leave the male version out as a alt skin.

2 with the second blurry the jumping splatoon could very well be the mii with that old blur disguise trick.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Just coming by to show my support! I saw the fake leak this morning which made me realize even more how much I want Inklings in Smash.

I was NOT on this side when people first started talking about the ballot because Splatoon wasn't even out yet... but I got the game shortly after it released and quickly changed my view. I'm really hoping they make it along with a stage -- not just because I love their design, but I would LOVE hearing the music from Splatoon while I'm playing Smash.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I love how much additional support the Inklings are getting post ballot. Probably has to do in part with the rumors. Us slimy hipsters voted for their inclusion before it was cool :happysheep:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I love how much additional support the Inklings are getting post ballot. Probably has to do in part with the rumors. Us slimy hipsters voted for their inclusion before it was cool :happysheep:
I cast my ballot vote to the Inklings about 3 weeks after the game came out, so I think I'm still somewhat slimy and hipsterish... However, I was TOTALLY against you Inkling supporters before the Splatoon came out. I used the argument of "Maybe let them EARN their position in Smash before we vote them in." Apparently you all had better foresight than I did and knew it was going to be the hit that it is.

Now please excuse me while I hang my head in shame and slowly shuffle away...

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I cast my ballot vote to the Inklings about 3 weeks after the game came out, so I think I'm still somewhat slimy and hipsterish... However, I was TOTALLY against you Inkling supporters before the Splatoon came out. I used the argument of "Maybe let them EARN their position in Smash before we vote them in." Apparently you all had better foresight than I did and knew it was going to be the hit that it is.

Now please excuse me while I hang my head in shame and slowly shuffle away...
No shame in being a supporter after the game came out, if anything that's smart voting. No sense in using your vote on a character who's game hasn't even come out yet

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
While I'm not exactly an Inkling supporter (though I wouldn't mind them if they got in) I wrote something relevant in the DLC character discussion thread and I felt like I should share it here, it's a reflexion about their potential technical issues as fighters (with the ink thing) and a proposal to solve them, don't hesitate to say what you may think about it:

-----

[...] at least those rumors made me reconsider the chances of Inklings which I used to consider very low because they would potentially be a technical hell (because you now, the paint), but actually when I think about it there's a potential simple solution to deal with it while doing the Inklings justice by still giving them a turf war based moveset: to limit the amount of RAM the paint takes and thus prevent framerate drops, instead program them like puddles with fixed size. I'm not sure I can clearly explain it with words, so I'll instead use pictures:

Let's suppose the orange thing in the pic above is Inkling's paint. It would take a lot of the game's RAM if it must remember each smallest unit possible where's there's ink, isn't it? But now, let's take a look at this:

To save RAM, the game's memory only has to remember one single spot for each puddle before giving all the remaining work to the engines. This frees place in the RAM where every item location is stored (it only has to remember one spot rather than several dozens) and gives the physics and graphic engines less work to do by making them work on only one item. For example, in the second picture, those orange dots represent where the "ink puddle" items are stored in the game's memory, and in the first picture, how the physics and graphic engines interpret these dots.

To make sure the game may support those puddles without FPS drops, there would be a limit to them, for example, five by Inkling. Those puddles I suppose could definitely be able to be handled by the Wii U, maybe it'd be a little harder for the 3DS but I don't think it'd be undoable.

I'm not a computer expert, but this may sound like a logical explanation to me. Any other thought about this?

Top Bottom