• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Sure thing! By the way, have you by chance checked out my moveset? It's l-inked in the OP, and I feel it really demonstrates what these guys are capable of.
Wow, just looked - very in-depth and, as you said, really shows off how capable they really are! I like it! The more I think about it, the more I want them. Looking forward to the next few weeks!

Also, I was thinking today - since Super Mario Maker just got a stage, you would think Splatoon would ALSO have gotten a stage by now... unless it's bundled with the Inklings!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Whether or not Sakurai directs it, it'd be inkredibly strange if Nintendo didn't eventually release a Smash 5. It's one of their best franchises, both quality- and sales-wise, and probably their best advertising platform.
Wow, just looked - very in-depth and, as you said, really shows off how capable they really are! I like it! The more I think about it, the more I want them. Looking forward to the next few weeks!
Glad to hear you liked it! :)
Also, I was thinking today - since Super Mario Maker just got a stage, you would think Splatoon would ALSO have gotten a stage by now... unless it's bundled with the Inklings!
You make a very valid point. Heck, Woolly World has had a stage since launch, and it's still not out in the U.S.! (By the way, it's stupid that Europe got it in, like, July, and we have to wait. >.<)

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Hello Inkling supporters. I'm popping in from the K. Rool support boards. It sounds like quite a few Kutthroats think that, if we get a character soon, Inklings will be next. I wouldn't mind this personally; I like Splatoon, and Inklings would be very cool additions. I wish you all luck! Here, I'll even offer a question: With the rumors of Octolings being playable in Splatoon soon, do you think that Smash Bros. could offer an alt skin for the Inklings in the form of an Octoling?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hello Inkling supporters. I'm popping in from the K. Rool support boards. It sounds like quite a few Kutthroats think that, if we get a character soon, Inklings will be next. I wouldn't mind this personally; I like Splatoon, and Inklings would be very cool additions. I wish you all luck! Here, I'll even offer a question: With the rumors of Octolings being playable in Splatoon soon, do you think that Smash Bros. could offer an alt skin for the Inklings in the form of an Octoling?
I don't see it happening, but who knows?As I stated above, I would prefer Octolings to be Inkling clones, but that's even more unlikely sadly. Also, Inklings have too much potential for great alts, so I am not sure if relegating one alt for the Octoling is a great idea. That said, I am not against Octoling as an alt, it is just not the ideal scenario for me.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's definitely possible, depending on their moveset. If the Inkling attacked by slapping with their tentacles, for example, it might not work too well, since they have rather different tentacle shapes.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Whether or not Sakurai directs it, it'd be inkredibly strange if Nintendo didn't eventually release a Smash 5. It's one of their best franchises, both quality- and sales-wise, and probably their best advertising platform.
It actually wouldn't be that strange, especially if the NX is something like "Nintendo's iOS" like it has been speculated. Other companies are following the MOBA format (one game with constant updates instead of various games every x years), so I can see Nintendo jumping in the bandwagon. Also, there wouldn't be that much of a graphical update in a NX Smash anyways (especially if it is a console and handlheld, like it has been speculated) and new and shiny graphics is what sells games for many people, so yeah. I am aware whatever I post here won't convince anyone in this particular thread that Smash 5 might not be released for the NX, but I wanted to share my thoughts anyways.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It actually wouldn't be that strange, especially if the NX is something like "Nintendo's iOS" like it has been speculated. Other companies are following the MOBA format (one game with constant updates instead of various games every x years), so I can see Nintendo jumping in the bandwagon. Also, there wouldn't be that much of a graphical update in a NX Smash anyways (especially if it is a console and handlheld, like it has been speculated) and new and shiny graphics is what sells games for many people, so yeah. I am aware whatever I post here won't convince anyone in this particular thread that Smash 5 might not be released for the NX, but I wanted to share my thoughts anyways.
If Smash 5 isn't a new game (which I doubt, as there's still plenty that can be done with both the gameplay and aesthetics), but rather just an updated Smash 4, then the same principle applies in this context really. They might hold the Inklings off to kick off the "expansions" or whatever. But I doubt that, as A) I doubt the concept to begin with, and B) it's in their best interest to keep Splatoon's inkredible momentum going.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
If Smash 5 isn't a new game (which I doubt, as there's still plenty that can be done with both the gameplay and aesthetics), but rather just an updated Smash 4, then the same principle applies in this context really. They might hold the Inklings off to kick off the "expansions" or whatever. But I doubt that, as A) I doubt the concept to begin with, and B) it's in their best interest to keep Splatoon's inkredible momentum going.
Smash 4 is the 3DS version and Smash 5 is the Wii U version according to Sakurai -_-

I'm not sure what the popular opinion for a possible NX Ultimate Smash 4 version is. Personally I don't know how I'd feel about it. Usually we get one per console but an NX version seems awfully close, especially with all of the DLC keeping this iteration fresh and relevant. However, I never thought about possible extra characters launching with an ultimate version until now to further promote the game. (course these characters would be DLC in the Wii U version) Like we keep saying, Inkling would be a prime candidate to promote the game. Despite that I still think Inkling is likely to just be a DLC character, possibly even in the next wave.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Smash 4 is the 3DS version and Smash 5 is the Wii U version according to Sakurai -_-
It's weird he thinks this, Smash 3DS and Wii U are way too similar to be considered entirely different entities; if anything Smash Wii U is Smash 4 and Smash 3DS is Smash 4-lite

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
My brother suggested Callie and Marie alts. It could happen. What if Inklings became like Little Mac, with 16+ different skins? 8 Inklings, a smattering of Octoling Colors, Callie, and Marie.

Seriously though, that WOULD be awesome. It would definitely help sales, though I assume it would take a fair bit longer to make...so I wouldn't get my hopes up. But a person can dream, aye?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that the hacker issue had been resolved, I can finally play the game without worrying about the loss of a save file. And I'm starting to like the idea of playing as a blue haired Male Inkling in in Smash since it's my favorite variation (major bonus points if that said blue hair comes with dark skin).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Still surprised no one says anything about the Callie and Marie alts they can have.
I feel like they would make perfect cameo characters on the Inkopolis stage. They could appear at night on a stage (similar to KK Slider) and sing their theme song.

They could have Inklings around the stage dancing as well.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I feel like they would make perfect cameo characters on the Inkopolis stage. They could appear at night on a stage (similar to KK Slider) and sing their theme song.

They could have Inklings around the stage dancing as well.
That's what I was thinking too. It was mentioned in Game Explain, along with the usual KK Slider style of special events at certain times they could also coincide with actual Splatfests.

I'm probably in the minority of people that don't want Callie and Marie to be alts, I just feel their role as a cameo would be much better. I mean look at Lucina, I love her character from the actual game but I never actually use her.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Helllo.

Glad to see you guys still kicking after all this time.

I'm glad overall Inklings seem to be more more accepted as possible as the days go by. I see less people bring up the costume as a counterpoint for example.

Anywho. Still stand by my ideas that the Inklings will have a variety of weapons. I keep trying to make a moveset, but I never get the motivation for it.

Basic ideas though:
  1. Would incorporate AT LEAST Shooters, Chargers, and Rollers.
  2. Splat Roller is a dash attack and not a side b (since I heard a lot of people say the opposite)
  3. If ink based mechanic included, should negatively affect opponents standing on it.
  4. Mostly projectile based. Any Physical attacks go to turning into a squid briefly or rollers. (Meaning no using chargers as a sword for example).
  5. I have honestly no idea what to make the Forward smash. Splattershot Pro fitted into my moveset. I had Splattershot as jab and Jr as forward tilt so the Pro just seems like a natural progression. Blaster is fitting as a strong attack. I like having the regular blaster as an up-smash though because of the explosion being described as "fireworks." So then we have the Luna Blaster which I feel could still work. Then there is the Dynamo Roller, which is suppose to be unique. It would have a very long start up time for a small front hitbox, but when it fires, it also fires projectiles in an arc in addition to it's physical hitbox on the Roller itself. With the addition of Splatlings, the Splatling also seems like a good idea.
  6. Final Smash Inkzooka
  7. Could have a special taunt similar to Pit's. Very much a dream though as my idea was Callie and Marie would pop up to talk about the stages in smash. Which would be a huge amount of work though for obvious reasons.
Something I will say that I have no idea is common thought, but I always thought this ever since I saw how popular the Splatoon direct was back in August. But if a second Splatoon direct ever showed up, I feel Inklings are a shoe in to be confirmed as newcomers in it. Even if specific directs haven't ever revealed a character, the Splatoon direct is the second most popular direct period last time I checked.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
CatRaccoonBL CatRaccoonBL

Welcome back (I assume)! I've actually written a rather in-depth moveset for the Inkling at a moveset contest, which I've l-inked in the OP (which I've recently been made owner of). I do disagree with some of your thoughts, but this is a character with a lot of potential inkterpretations, so that's to be inkspected. (Sorry I can't help myself)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Eh, thats quite alright, I disagree with a lot of move set ideas of most people for the Inklings. For example, I know how much people want to see specials like the Kraken or Inkstrike to become Final smashes, but the Inkzooka is just too heavily promoted to make me think of anything else. It does help that the Inkzooka is my favorite special though. :3

Also, a note, just because I was gone, doesn't mean I stopped supporting Inklings. No, I always believed in the Inkling's chances. I just 1. became busy and 2. wanted to focus on my backlog and also on new games.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Eh, thats quite alright, I disagree with a lot of move set ideas of most people for the Inklings. For example, I know how much people want to see specials like the Kraken or Inkstrike to become Final smashes, but the Inkzooka is just too heavily promoted to make me think of anything else. It does help that the Inkzooka is my favorite special though. :3
I kind of think that's what it boils down to. What people like as their special weapon. I will say I'm the opposite. I love the Kraken and my favorite special weapon is the Inkstrike. I'm awful with the Inkzooka so I don't really want to see it as their final smash lol.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
For the Final Smash, I chose the Rainmaker because A) the special weapons appear in the regular moveset and B) it's the only weapon that's the only one of its "class."

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I kind of think that's what it boils down to. What people like as their special weapon. I will say I'm the opposite. I love the Kraken and my favorite special weapon is the Inkstrike. I'm awful with the Inkzooka so I don't really want to see it as their final smash lol.
Sure sure. I understand that mentality. But at the same time, I personally prefer movesets that I can see happen. And as fun as wanting Kraken and Inkstrike probably is, I just find it more beneficial to think of the more likely scenario of the Inkzooka being the final smash.

In terms of it being a part of the normal moveset I also find that unlikely. Especially with precedence. Specials in Splatoon are meant to turn the tables on the opponent. Which is exactly Smash's function of the smash ball. In terms of characters' final smashes, the mechanics involving filling up a meter, became a final smash.

Chain attack? Final Smash. Giga Mac? Final Smash.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
In terms of it being a part of the normal moveset I also find that unlikely. Especially with precedence. Specials in Splatoon are meant to turn the tables on the opponent. Which is exactly Smash's function of the smash ball. In terms of characters' final smashes, the mechanics involving filling up a meter, became a final smash.

Chain attack? Final Smash. Giga Mac? Final Smash.
In my moveset, I inkorporated them as "overcharged smash attacks." That is, if you're standing in ink, you can charge your smashes past the normal amount for a super-powerful attack. Overcharging the side smash, for instance (which is normally the charger), will turn it into an Inkzooka, which creates a giant tornado of ink that deals inkpressive damage as well. They'll definitely turn the tides of battle if the Inkling manages to land the hit; I'd recommend reading the set if you're inkterested.

Also, that's blatantly wrong. The KO Punch, for example, is built up with a meter, but it's not a Final Smash. Aside from that, Ryu has shown us that even the basic inkputs of Smash Bros. can be altered for a unique gameplay style, let alone what moves are and aren't Final Smashes.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Helllo.

Glad to see you guys still kicking after all this time.

STUFF REMOVED TO SHORTEN POST
Here's my moveset
Should also make a note saying the charger has been given to grabs.

"What?! Grabs!? that makes no sense!"

Like Fox and Falcos, throws then shoots, or just throws if no ink.

Also covering an opponent in ink requires a lot of consecuitive hits, it's not just one blop and that's it

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Here's my moveset

Also covering an opponent in ink requires a lot of consecuitive hits, it's not just one blop and that's it
Doot doot doot!

Adding to the OP right away. :)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The KO Punch, for example, is built up with a meter, but it's not a Final Smash.
The KO Punch is like that yes, but it also doesn't have the range and visual effect as the Inkzooka. The inkzooka is a powerful bazooka that kill foes in a single hit. It is the most offensive special in the game. It would have to be weaken significantly to fit into smash.
Ryu has shown us that even the basic inkputs of Smash Bros. can be altered for a unique gameplay style, let alone what moves are and aren't Final Smashes.
Problem. Ryu's moveset is based off the gameplay mechanic of Kirby's fighter ability in Superstar/Ultra where depending on how you pressed the button you get a different attack. (The fighting ability was also based off Ryu. It comes full circle). So unless there is a Sakurai game that uses a similar gameplay mechanic as your idea, than I don't know the likelihood.

Here's my moveset

My problem is exclusivity. Sure, I can see some grabs using a charger attack, but I don't think chargers need to be only used in grabs.

I myself have the neutral special as Splatcharger and a down-aerial as Classic Squiffer.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I also will state that I also prefer the Inkstrike as the Final Smash because, in my opinion, it is the most impressive Special Weapon visually.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The KO Punch is like that yes, but it also doesn't have the range and visual effect as the Inkzooka. The inkzooka is a powerful bazooka that kill foes in a single hit. It is the most offensive special in the game. It would have to be weaken significantly to fit into smash.
Which I did. A) it's not an OHKO (although it's still pretty dang powerful), and B) it has to be charged for a whole second (plus the lag of actually shooting the thing).
Problem. Ryu's moveset is based off the gameplay mechanic of Kirby's fighter ability in Superstar/Ultra where depending on how you pressed the button you get a different attack. (The fighting ability was also based off Ryu. It comes full circle). So unless there is a Sakurai game that uses a similar gameplay mechanic as your idea, than I don't know the likelihood.
A) Not being in a Sakurai game doesn't make something unlikely to appear in Smash. Heck, holding the button to do a different action is a common enough game mechanic; I highly doubt that Ryu only has the feature because Kirby used to. Rather, it was to accommodate his many inputs in Street Fighter, much like how the overcharged smashes accommodate both the ink mechanic and the special weapons from Splatoon.
B) That doesn't explain the "true" inputs for Hadoken, Tatsumaki, and Shoryuken.
C) The charge mechanic is in a Sakurai game anyways, that game being Smash itself. Smash attacks, when charged, are devastating moves; the overcharged smashes simply take the concept to its logical extreme.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I said I would do this when I had time, now is that time. This is my first try at a moveset, so allow for some leeway ;P

Okay, so I agree that some kind of ink swimming mechanic should be in smash if Inklings make it as dlc. However, I don't think it should be exactly like Splatoon where you can freely swim and hide as much as you want for as long as you want. Other characters don't have any ink game, so just copy and pasting ink mechanics from Splatoon would result in either campy or awkward gameplay. With this in mind here's my moveset:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike most movesets that revolve around the Inkling using different weapons for specific moves, similar to how Snake operated in Brawl, I believe most of the Inkling's A attacks (every attack that requires you to press the A button) should be done by a single weapon. In this moveset the Inkling's primary weapon is the Inkbrush. While the Inkbrush won't spread ink for most of its attacks, it will make up most of the Inkling's regular attacks. The way Ink works will be better explained below.

Body Class: Light, slightly smaller than Mario. The character, like all smaller characters, can be launched and killed early. However, quick attacks and fast mobility aided by an Ink mechanic more than makes up for it.

Jab- A standard jab consisting of three quick attacks.
Dash Attack- Inkling transforms into a squid out of a dash and slides. This spread a little ink on the ground.

Side tilt- Similar to Shulk's side tilt, but with less range and quicker.
Up tilt- A quick overhead swing, ideal for juggling and starting combos.
Down tilt- Inkling swings brush at the legs similar to Ike's down tilt, good for ground spacing.

F-Smash- An overhead swing, similar to Ike's F-Smash. This attack will also launch some ink that acts as a disjointed hitbox, which becomes more disjointed the longer you charge it (a property similar to Duck Hunt's F-smash)
D-Smash- Inkling jumps into the air and stomps on the ground, making ink shoot up from the ground to hurt the enemy. This is similar to how Squirtle's D-smash was in Brawl (or maybe it was up-smash, I forget)
Up-Smash- Like the up-tilt, and overhead swing except with a stronger and larger arc.

N-Air- Inkling curls his/her body, then stretches every limb and discharges ink around him/her.
F-Air- Standard quick slash in front of the Inkling. Quick and reliable disjoint, but has poor damage and knockback.
U-Air- Longer starting lag than the Inkling's other air attacks, but it has more damage and knockback capable of killing off the top if near enough to the blastline.
B-Air- Inkling uses the bottom part of the Inkbrush to stab behind him/her.
D-Air- Swings in an arc below the Inkling. Like most spikes this attack has significant starting lag.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have noticed that most of A attacks mentioned so far don't spread any ink. In this moveset the Ink Swimming mechanics are mainly focused on the Inkling's Specials (basically his/her B button attacks). Rather than simply swimming, the Ink swimming works very similarly to Greninja's teleport (side-b). See the Inkling's D-Special for more details.

Squid Jump (Up Special)- Pretty self explanatory, works very similarly to DeDeDe's up special. Can be used as a quick OOS option, but is easy to punish if whiffed.
Charger (Neutral Special)- It works pretty much like it does in the actual game. It can be charged, and when released it will hit anything in front of you while spread a long line of ink on the floor depending on how long it is charged.
Splat Roller (Side Special)- Swings a splat roller like in the game. Like in the game, there will be a significant amount of starting lag, however it makes up for it by its huge disjoint. It spreads ink in front of you. It will typically be used in the air while fading away.
Squid Dive (Down Special)- The Inkling jumps into the air, transforms into squid form, and dives toward the ground. If there is Ink below him/her the Inkling will dive into the ink. When the Inkling dives into the ink, he/she will reappear some distance in front of him/her depending on how long the player holds the button when diving (similar to how Greninja's side-special works). There is no hitbox on this move, but this is a very quick move that significantly expands the Inkling's movement options. This can even be used to extend combos or escape attack strings.

This moveset focuses on being agile and quick, while also keeping track of the ink you spread on the ground and using it for both defensive and offensive purposes. This might stray from most people's ideal move set, but I feel like this is a reasonable way for the devs to implement concepts of Splatoon into Smash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a couple of side notes, it would be cool if the alts (four boys and four girls of course) all had unique outfits like Villager. It'd be a great way to show off the different gears from Splatoon, although I don't know if Nintendo would care enough to do this.

And lastly, the all important Final Smash (dun dun dun). I've heard a lot of great ideas like Inkstrike and Rainmaker, I think they'd make great Final Smashes. Here's another idea I thought of the other day: Killer Wail. The Inkling puts down a Killer Wail and unleashes a massive sound blast, launching all that fail to escape its path.

Welp, that's all I got.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Which I did. A) it's not an OHKO (although it's still pretty dang powerful), and B) it has to be charged for a whole second (plus the lag of actually shooting the thing).

A) Not being in a Sakurai game doesn't make something unlikely to appear in Smash. Heck, holding the button to do a different action is a common enough game mechanic; I highly doubt that Ryu only has the feature because Kirby used to. Rather, it was to accommodate his many inputs in Street Fighter, much like how the overcharged smashes accommodate both the ink mechanic and the special weapons from Splatoon.
B) That doesn't explain the "true" inputs for Hadoken, Tatsumaki, and Shoryuken.
C) The charge mechanic is in a Sakurai game anyways, that game being Smash itself. Smash attacks, when charged, are devastating moves; the overcharged smashes simply take the concept to its logical extreme.
The problem I personally have with this idea is that it's unneccesarily complex.
For Ryu, the button system was a crucial part of representing Street Fighter properly.

The overcharge mechanic is not a part of Splatoon mechanics and thus doesn't need to be a part of Inkling's Smash mechanics.

On top of that, the Inklings would be unique through their ink mechanics themselves, so they don't need to resort to another over complicated gimmick

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The problem I personally have with this idea is that it's unneccesarily complex.
For Ryu, the button system was a crucial part of representing Street Fighter properly.

The overcharge mechanic is not a part of Splatoon mechanics and thus doesn't need to be a part of Inkling's Smash mechanics.

On top of that, the Inklings would be unique through their ink mechanics themselves, so they don't need to resort to another over complicated gimmick
I don't see how "charge the attack for a more powerful weapon" is "unnecessarily complex." The overcharged specials are tied into the ink; you can only use them while you're on your own turf, so laying down ink is rewarded.

----------

IndigoSSB IndigoSSB

Right off the bat, I appreciate how you decided not to make the standards a mess of different weapons, and instead used a single weapon for them. I used tentacle-based combat (i.e. slapping foes with the head tentacles) and attacks in squid form, but the inkbrush certainly fills that role too. With that said, I do have a couple of problems with how it's executed here. Firstly, it makes the Inkling feel like just another generic sword user. There's not much that the brush does that's different from a sword -- it doesn't even lay down ink or anything, except for forward smash which is just inkonsistent -- and literally all of the moves are copy-pasted from other sword users. Also, I feel that this makes the inkbrush take up the entire moveset when it really shouldn't. I mean, it's not even in the main game -- it's an add-on through DLC. Perhaps the smashes and some of the aerials could have used different weapons?

Now onto the specials. Splat Charger and Super Jump are rather harmless, other than the lack of the iconic Splatter Shot.

But why can the roller not be rolled? That's the entire purpose of the weapon.

Anyway, now for the ink mechanics themselves. Firstly, I don't think you needed to nerf them as much as you did -- or at least, not in the way that you did. Yes, not everyone has an ink mechanic, but that never stopped Rosalina from having a Luma, or Robin from having limited resources, etc etc. Rather than instantly changing something, you should first ask, "How would the opponent combat this?"

Now, the way ink works in my moveset is like this: Most weapon attacks lay down ink (but not tentacle-based attacks and such). It comes in two varieties: thick and thin ink. A roller makes thick ink, for example, while the charger makes a thin trail. Thick ink is often harder or more time-consuming to place down. Opponents will get their feet stuck in ink and their movement is slowed down, and thick ink slows them down more than thin ink. The Inkling can swim through the ink at Captain Falcon's dashing speed, and even cancel the ending lag of attacks into a squid dive while they're on top of ink.

So, what's the catch? Firstly, the ink can be destroyed. It can be attacked by opponents, and thick ink is more durable than thin ink (although neither are especially durable; maybe like 10% at most). It'll also disappear after <10 seconds, so the Inkling will have to break briefly from the fighting in order to maintain its turf; however, skilled Inkling players will learn how to inktegrate ink-creating attacks into their combos and combat, blending the two together and showing a truly skilled Inkling player. The Inkling is a combo machine in its turf -- almost like Little Mac on the ground -- but out of ink, it's weakened quite a bit. What's more, getting hit out of a squid dive causes the Inkling to pop out of the ink and "whimper" for about a second -- like hitting a barrier at the top of a wall in Splatoon -- thus giving the opponent time to strike. Squid swimming is fast, but if someone does manage to catch an Inkling, then the punishment is rather devastating. What's more, it also adds a bit of strategy to squid lag canceling; rather than doing it every time like l-canceling, an Inkling may opt not to do it, to avoid the recoil caused by being hit out of a dive.

See what I mean? Rather than limiting the Inkling's ways of laying down and utilizing ink, first think of ways to combat the ink while still keeping to the core mechanics. In my moveset, that's accomplished by the ink disappearing over time, being destroyable, the punishment for being hit out of squid form, and the need for the Inkling to take time to maintain its turf. Rather than making Luma only be part of Rosalina's animations -- like how the duck and the dog are two characters, but don't separate -- they instead made Luma separate, but easy enough to get rid of, with a stamina meter, super-light weight, and inability to act out of a tumbling state. Instead of giving Robin a way to get his tomes back -- which would stray away from his "resource management" theme, since you don't have to manage them if you can restore them at will -- they instead made the tomes and levin sword powerful enough to justify them having limited uses. Don't stray away from the core mechanic unless A) it would make the character better to play as, or B) there's absolutely no way to balance the core mechanic as-is. In my opinion, neither of those are really true.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don't see how "charge the attack for a more powerful weapon" is "unnecessarily complex." The overcharged specials are tied into the ink; you can only use them while you're on your own turf, so laying down ink is rewarded.
Yes, with three different perks.
It's not like there's no reason to lay ink down when you leave the overcharge out.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Yes, with three different perks.
Only one per attack, though. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
It's not like there's no reason to lay ink down when you leave the overcharge out.
I don't see how the overcharge mechanic is a detriment to the moveset. Yes, there are other reasons to lay down ink, but A) the more the merrier, and B) most of the other uses are only good when you're fighting up-close and personal. Erm, squidonal. Thus, I decided to inklude a perk that benefits players who prefer to fight at a distance, hence the overcharged smashes. Forward Smash is for general onstage camping, able to keep opponents at bay with its large vertical reach. Up Smash is for a "blend" of up-close and far-away combat -- it's easiest to land if you knock an opponent into the Inkstrike, as it's very telegraphed -- and Down Smash is for both up-close fighting and hitting foes below platforms, whether it be hiding on a top platform of a stage or edgeguarding someone below the ledge.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Munomario777 Munomario777

I'll admit, after reading it again the attacks with the Inkbrush may have turned out a bit generic. However, I still maintain that the Ink mechanic should be focused on the Inkling's specials. In a lot of the smash character already existing their special attacks tend to be more iconic moves that represent the character well. I'd like to keep that train of thought with this moveset. Point taken about being too similar to a swordsmen though, but I still think that the Inkbrush should spread minimal amounts of ink. Same with the Splat Roller, I forgot to mention how holding the button will allow you to roll it.

Also, I'd like to make something clear about the Ink mechanics, I don't consider it a nerf. Speaking of nerf, I know I compared it to Greninja's teleport move, but the Inkling's Squid Dive would have almost no starting or ending lag in comparison. With Ink around something like F-throw (oh wait, I forgot to make throws for Inkling, whoops lol) to Squid Dive to any kind of air attacks become a possibility for a combo starter. I also forgot to mention this, ink in my moveset would last longer compared to ink in your moveset, but it will not have the slow down mechanic.

You may not agree with me on how the ink should work, but hear me out for a sec. It's not like I didn't think of the idea of making the ink attackable, however the main problem I saw was what this meant for characters fighting an Inkling. No matter how weak or easy you make the ink, it doesn't change the fact that the player has to commit to a move to make the ink disappear. Not only that; it also has to be an attack with a relatively low hit box. Not everybody has a quick move that puts a hitbox on the ground.

Also, the reason I didn't add the slow down mechanic when you're on enemy ink is because it would give too much advantage to the Inkling. I understand that keeping as much of the core mechanic as possible is important, however the difference between Splatoon and Smash is that one game takes place on a 3-d space and the other takes place on a 2-d plane. In Splatoon you have several ways of challenging enemy ink, but in Smash you're limited to either attacking or jumping over it, but probably will probably lead to some kind of punish.

No matter how you see it this will most likely promote camping. I mean, just look at custom Villager's tree (I forget what it's called, the one that makes you trip). It's considered one of the best customs because planting a sapling gives you control over a part of the stage. I can't see ink that can slow the opponent down as anything but an upgraded version of this.

The Robin comparison was fine (if you couldn't tell I play FE), but the Rosalina example was lost on me. It's a mechanic unique to Smash, not found in Mario Galaxy. If they made Luma a part of her animation then they might as well make Rosalina her own character.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Munomario777 Munomario777

I'll admit, after reading it again the attacks with the Inkbrush may have turned out a bit generic. However, I still maintain that the Ink mechanic should be focused on the Inkling's specials. In a lot of the smash character already existing their special attacks tend to be more iconic moves that represent the character well. I'd like to keep that train of thought with this moveset. Point taken about being too similar to a swordsmen though, but I still think that the Inkbrush should spread minimal amounts of ink. Same with the Splat Roller, I forgot to mention how holding the button will allow you to roll it.
If something is a character's core mechanic, it should be present throughout the moveset (if possible without making it worse). Luma doesn't just use specials; he has a full moveset, inkluding standards. Olimar uses Pikmin for his specials, smashes, grab game, aerials... everything but standards, pretty much. Shulk's arts don't just affect his specials; they affect all of his attacks. Robin's mechanic is present in aerials and smashes thanks to the levin sword, as well as his jab finishers. Not having attacks spread ink because they wouldn't do that logically (like I did with my moveset, where many standards consist of physical attacks) is one thing, but not having the inkbrush spread ink because "it's not a special" doesn't make much sense logically, and isn't really justified from a gameplay perspective either.
Also, I'd like to make something clear about the Ink mechanics, I don't consider it a nerf. Speaking of nerf, I know I compared it to Greninja's teleport move, but the Inkling's Squid Dive would have almost no starting or ending lag in comparison. With Ink around something like F-throw (oh wait, I forgot to make throws for Inkling, whoops lol) to Squid Dive to any kind of air attacks become a possibility for a combo starter.
Yes, but you also lose a lot of the options that a normal dive would allow you. One of these is tricking your opponent; you could squid dive to feint an approach, but stop halfway through to bait out an attack for a punish. A regular dive would also allow the Inkling to adapt to an opponent's movement; if the Inkling dives into the ink and the opponent moves towards their original position, in your version of the set, they can't "turn around." However, they can with a Splatoon-style dive, allowing for more versatility. And also, there's the matter of the change just not being necessary in the first place.
I also forgot to mention this, ink in my moveset would last longer compared to ink in your moveset, but it will not have the slow down mechanic.

You may not agree with me on how the ink should work, but hear me out for a sec. It's not like I didn't think of the idea of making the ink attackable, however the main problem I saw was what this meant for characters fighting an Inkling. No matter how weak or easy you make the ink, it doesn't change the fact that the player has to commit to a move to make the ink disappear. Not only that; it also has to be an attack with a relatively low hit box. Not everybody has a quick move that puts a hitbox on the ground.

Also, the reason I didn't add the slow down mechanic when you're on enemy ink is because it would give too much advantage to the Inkling. I understand that keeping as much of the core mechanic as possible is important, however the difference between Splatoon and Smash is that one game takes place on a 3-d space and the other takes place on a 2-d plane. In Splatoon you have several ways of challenging enemy ink, but in Smash you're limited to either attacking or jumping over it, but probably will probably lead to some kind of punish.

No matter how you see it this will most likely promote camping. I mean, just look at custom Villager's tree (I forget what it's called, the one that makes you trip). It's considered one of the best customs because planting a sapling gives you control over a part of the stage. I can't see ink that can slow the opponent down as anything but an upgraded version of this.
You do make a good point with the slowing-down mechanic. Perhaps rather than slowing opponents down, ink could instead damage opponents over time, causing them to constantly be "inked" (a mechanic in my moveset where hitting opponents with ink-based attacks causes them to take a bit of damage over time, like in Splatoon). I'll play around it and see what I can come up with.

As for attacking the ink, it's not something that a fighter has to do; the ink will disappear over time anyways. This allows for many options when trying to get rid of ink; you could attack it directly, or come up with a way to stop the Inkling from replenishing it and let it disappear on its own.
The Robin comparison was fine (if you couldn't tell I play FE), but the Rosalina example was lost on me. It's a mechanic unique to Smash, not found in Mario Galaxy. If they made Luma a part of her animation then they might as well make Rosalina her own character.
My point here wasn't necessarily about staying true to the source material, but rather to the core of the character's gameplay in Smash. For Rosalina, the core of her gameplay is the Luma. For Robin, that happens to align with a major mechanic in Fire Emblem, like the Inkling's mechanic does. So yes, perhaps that was the more apt comparison.

Top Bottom