• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Initial Super Smash Wii U Tier List by CT ZeRo

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Smashboards has reached out to CLASH Tournaments CT ZeRo for his thoughts on how the characters stack up. As the winner of the Super Smash Brothers Invitational at E3 and one of the best Smash players on the planet, ZeRo has keen insight on how all the characters are shaping up. Below is an initial Super Smash Brothers Wii U Tier list. Tiers have always evolved over time - let this serve as one of the initial reference points for Super Smash Brothers Wii U. Who knows how things will change. If you had a chance to play Super Smash Brothers Wii U let us know your impressions in the comments!

So many characters to choose from - how to do they stack up?

Hey everyone! After a lot of research and playing, here's my current tier list. This is just my opinion, though!

Top Tier
Kirby - Extremely fast, powerful, great grab range & throws, fantastic recovery and great spike
Pit - Extremely good super armor side B KO move, very fast, excellent recovery and a reflector
Zero Suit Samus - Very agile, fantastic recovery, range and combos
Greninja - Great aerials, fast and powerful attacks and a great projectile. Good recovery, too!
Donkey Kong - Surprisingly fast and very strong. Great recovery as well and a powerful spike

High Tier
Pikachu - Powerful Smashes and combos, great recovery and fast
Mario - Surprisingly agile and has tons of combos and great aerial game
Olimar - Powerful and fast moveset coupled with a fantastic recovery
Samus - Super fast and powerful ground game, Up-B is a KO move and has a great recovery
Fox - Very agile, super good recovery, tons of combos
Marth - More ground based now, weaker aerial game, throws are KO moves, great range
Rosalina - Very floaty, tricky game, great Up Smash, good aerials
Bowser - Fast and powerful, could be even higher!

Mid Tier
Mega Man -Weak up close game, but strong medium range game, good escape and tricky
Wii Fit Trainer - Very undeveloped, don't know much, though, putting her in the middle is safe.
Villager - Very weak up close, slow smash attacks, but good tilts and Up/Down Air
Sonic - No one played him!!! Putting him in the middle to be safe.
Link - Faster gameplay overall but much weaker camping game.

Low Tier
Little Mac - One mistake and you're done for! Can't fight platform camping or shield spam efficiently. Not the best grab range. Super powerful, but risky to use.
Zelda - Her moveset lacked strength, speed and range to compete with the other characters. She definitely needs to be changed up a bit.

These are my first impressions. We'll see how the game turns out to be when it comes out! Remember guys, this is a demo, it's bound to change.

-ZeRo - Follow on Twitter!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Please be very serious, zero.

If kirby being top tier is ultimately confirmed, I WILL SCREAM. SO. LOUD.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
A preliminary tier list on a demo...interesting. I'm sure this makes for some history.

S/o to that Bowser placement though.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
All right! Way to go, Bowser! ^-^

Of course, we can only hope he retains his new properties in the final product. He definitely has potential! ^-^

Last edited:

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
They weakened Marth too much! He needs a little more speed!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So apparently Im a top tier ***** now, only maining top tiers in Smash 4. Who wouldve thought my 3 picks would end up so good?

serazac25

Smash Rookie
I want to play the game so bad. Hope they adjust a few things like the lag after the air dodge , hope they make it a bit more faster. Wouldn't hurt if they bring L-Canceling back, at least.

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
High Tier Mario and DK? YES!!!, the fast Bowser is also now more of a threat than ever, I'm loving this tier list so far (though i think ZSS may be a little too good, c'mon a whip has that much knockback?)

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Looking at the videos I agree completely with this list, but when the full roster of around 47 characters comes out, plus the tweaks before release, it'll surely change.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I kind of agree and disagree with Zelda's early thoughts placement.

Yeah, she's certainly not getting the necessary treatment to be "up there" good, but her attacks certainly don't lack power, speed, or range. It's true most of them don't have all of those qualities, though.

There have also been a bunch of little things I've found that will help her some. Like FW is buffed nicely in multiple aspects, (The reappear can KO if you directly hit the opponent, it now auto-snaps ledges mid-invisi-travel, faster disappearing animation.) Her mobility is nicer, (Bigger 2nd jump, faster running.) her grab is faster and Bthrow seems to be as powerful as Kirby's Uthrow. There are more things, too!

Let's just not count her out just yet. ;)

Last edited:

xJcLx

Drummer to "Oath To Order" Band
NNID
AvengedxJcLx
I'm okay with Link right now. He has faster gameplay but some of his moves are very punishable. I wouldn't mind a slight buff but overall. He's better than Brawl Link and I'm okay with it.

Unbias

Banned via Warnings
NNID
GodOfAllThings
Sonic will most likely be mid-high tier, his ability to go back and forth on the stage is scary as well as him being able to rack up damage without receiving damage himself. Most likely he'll lack kill moves which is why i would personally keep him at the top end of the mid tier.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wait... By combos, do you mean... is it.. Can it..
You mean no Brawl bull****!!??

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit finally top tier outta Japanese Brawl? I know it's just a demo, but that'd be so amazing if it carried over to the final game. To think I'd main 2 great characters (Pit and Bowser), and imagine how great Palutena could be in the finalized version! <3

But tbh, I really would like to gather a lot of Pit data and such. I also remember his D-air now being a spike. I know many ppl and haters say Pit overall is nerfed just because of his arrows and different Up-B, but I always believed he was improved. Tell me more bout that angel.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Really? Tier lists? The game isn't even out yet. This makes me want to facepalm so hard right now.
Facepalm at yourself then. Who said this was official? Regardless of it being posted or not, Zero would've still had his opinions on which characters are better than which. That's all this list is: ZeRo's opinion, in list form, divided into tiers, posted on SWF so everyone else could see his opinion. Stop being so dramatic.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that this is just a tier prediction, but I do wonder if Rosalina could end up being top tier material if one were to fully master the Luma usage, along with using Gravitational Pull more often against projectile attackers. She does appear to have the potential to become an intimidating fighter when used in the right hands, especially if she can play a good defensive game.

Of course, that large frame of her's could make you think otherwise, but we've seen how good Marth is in the past, and he's a pretty tall combatant himself.

I guess at this point, all that we can hope for is that she maintains her offensive power upon the 3DS version's release.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Kirby being top tier is just subtle johns for him getting outplayed by Hungrybox.

Seriously though, Kirby does look very strong right now.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I would say that all the characters I want to play are in the high tiers, but I sort of want to play all the characters to an extent. Well, Rosalina is high tier, and she is who I want to play the most along with the villager.

Also, not going to lie, but I expected Mac's placement mainly due to his recovery and the way he plays in the air. I think he's like a mix between Roy and Luigi in melee. Hoping for the best for him, but don't think there's a lot there.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If bowser made his way up the tier just think what they have done to ganondorf.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Can't say I agree with having a tier list based on a tournament that was mostly free for alls but eh, at least this should shut down the people who still thought Little Mac would be too OP cause of the KO punch.

Honestly based on what I've seen though along with evidence in the site updates I think this Smash Bros will be a lot like games like Blazblue, and Tekken Tag Tournament where nobody is outright awful, they just either have less options than other characters or weaknesses that other characters can exploit but even then victory will never really be impossible for them.

Unbias

Banned via Warnings
NNID
GodOfAllThings
Kirby being top tier is just subtle johns for him getting outplayed by Hungrybox.

I thought so too, its as if he gauged how good a character is basing on how difficult it was for him to beat(since he had to resort to time to win).

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

That up throw kills zss at 76 :o

Marf needs srs buff for air game. D: That being said, I feel that the more girly Marth is portrayed, the better he is. .-.

Top Bottom