• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Indianapolis Picks Up DK

Bench

Smash Rookie
I brought up the idea of everyone in Indy picking up a character to use in MMs or tournament use. We set up a poll and DK won with %20 of the votes. Now many of our players are working on DK. What are some of the benefits of having a pocket Donkey Kong?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Benefits of DK -

- Donkey Punch Destruction and Brutal Relentless Cargo Up Throw Up Air Tech Trap combos

- But seriously if you have a good DK you can mess up even really good spacies, most Marth mains also usually get overwhelmed at first. He's got the benefit of being quite an easy character to pick up and learn combo with, but still has lots of room to master with his movement and spacing. He's got the Back air, Giant Punch, and Up B which are all quite versatile in a lot of MUs. Those moves keep him relevant in the meta.

I'd say the only MU a newer DK will never win are Jigglypuff and ICs. DK doesn't have the tools to win, and even if you do they aren't fun to win IMO.

DK is very fun and very hype.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
He's one of the best pocket characters imo because his matchup stats are good relative to his position on the tier list (i.e. the lack of matchup experience your opponent is likely to have, tips the scales from being slightly not in your favour to being well in your favour).

I also think that the only truly terrible matchup is ice climbers. Everyone else is beatable provided the DK is good enough and the opponent doesnt have M2K knowledge and experience of the matchup

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy the jiggly matchup now that I realize that dk is a better puff. Both play a bair neutral, but DK has many more advantages imo.

DK can chaingrab puff at low % and get good follow ups on bad DI, along with guaranteed punches at medium % off grab.
DK weighs over twice what jiggly weighs.
DK has a punch, while jiggly has a rest. Punch is a lot more practical, especially since most puffs will camp you and you get free punches. A random punch in neutral is super hard to punish, and it usually is a death if it connects.
DK can kill with uairs at fairly low% due to her weight, while jiggly will not be able to kill DK off the top.
DK can cc dsmash kill jiggly at 70% on most stages.
DK can upB oos shield mixups, and kill at fairly low %

Jiggly can just bair wall, but if she messes up even a bit, DK can capitalize much more than I would say jiggly can.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you can ever play DK into a good Icies. Just no. Nothing you have is safe on shield.
DK's main strength is his throw combos, but you can't really do that when there's a second one interrupting you.

I play DK because I find him fun and very rewarding, but I know I'm at a disadvantage against the top tiers.

The only exception is Samus. I genuinely have a much easier time vs her than I do with Fox. This is because you can juggle the living snot out of her (Fox can't) and you can power through missiles with bair.

Also Dong vs Captain Falcon is quite fun since Cargo throw puts him in an awful position regardless of his percent, which is always easy to confirm into a kill.

Sheik and Marth seem to be the easiest characters to combo. You can up air into up air for an extremely long time. Cargo up throw into fair/giant punch is extremely easy to land. I don't find neutral vs Sheik to be that bad either, since DK outranges her.

However I find the Marth matchup to be pretty difficult. I've beaten a couple in tournaments, but if I go against one with good spacing I find I can't do an awful lot. His moves are just fast enough for me to find getting an opening really hard. Crouch cancelling can help.

Top Bottom