• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Incineroar's "Oh yeah! YOU WERE WRONG!!" Thread [I was wrong]

Be honest, did you believe the Grinch leak? Cause it was an elaborate lie.

• Yes, I was fooled by the Grinch.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • No, I saw through his lies, but I still thought Incineroar wasn't coming.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • No, I knew deep down Incineroar was coming, regardless of insiders.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • No, because if the insiders say Incineroar is coming, Incineroar is coming.

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Even though I thought Grinch was fake, I honest to god thought that Incineroar wasn't happening anyway because it'd be hard for him to cover new ground. The direct won me over, though.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I was full Grinch. I was a Lycanroc supporter. It was never that I hated the cat, it is just there were Gen 7 characters that I wanted more.

I won't be vindictive towards him, I still like the cat, but I just wish I got my dog instead.

Congratulations, and you won't deserve any of the crap yall will get for being the last reveal.

Makotoa

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2720-1558-5025
I thought it was going to be part true, like an incomplete mural, which is why I was still able to believe the insiders were right when they said Incineroar was for sure in. XD

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Personally I believe that a leak should never be trusted until it is proven true. That being said the faker put a lot of work into it.

As for Incineroar itself I was indifferent until I saw his gameplay. The posing won me over, and I can wait until someone makes a Randy Savage mod for him.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I believed the leak. I didn't want Incineroar. He looks mildly interesting move wise. I'll try him out, but I'll do so knowing what this game could've been. Congratulations on your character. It must feel nice to know that Nintendo cares about you.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The Grinch leak is also known as the Banner leak.

The one with Banjo, Isaac, Shadow, Ken, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Geno. And not Incineroar.

StormC

Smash Hero
I believed it at first but as time went on I had my doubts.

I'm pretty happy about Incineroar, he looks like a lot of fun and I would have been equally happy with him or Decidueye. The only character I was personally invested in from the banner leak - Banjo-Kazooie - still stands a solid chance as DLC anyway, so I really mostly feel bad for everyone else.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was betting on there being no Pokemon rep so that's quite a lot of eggs on my face

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wanted to congratulate all the actual fans/supporters of the character Incineroar and not just the bandwagoners due to Verg. It must be awesome to have your character added to Smash. While I've always been indifferent on Incineroar as I am with most Pokemon, I gotta say Sakurai REALLY sold me on this character. He looks awesome, he's a heavyweight grappler which is AMAZING! If I like how he plays I could easily see him being added to my rotation of characters. Pretty good stuff and once again cheers!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I admit, I was believing the Grinch, but more so that I wouldn't jinx the leak I wanted to be real. I'm so glad 'Roar is in, with it and Snake both as playable fighters, plus my number 2 and 3 newcomer wants in (Simon and Isabelle respectively), I'm very satisfied with the roster.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I believed the Grinch leak but knew that Incineroar would get in anyway... but Grinch leak turned out to be false.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Didn't believe any leak period, but even then I thought Decidueye would be cooler and Incineroar would just be stupid. As soon as I saw him posing like a maniac and suplexing with his back throw I immediately made a 180. Also having a cool different counter that can be stored for smashes seems really cool and interesting, always hated regular counters anyways because I'm predictable and keep getting caught by them :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was betting on there being no Pokemon rep so that's quite a lot of eggs on my face
Come think of it, why did people even think there would be no Pokémon newcomers?

Sakurai doesn't care if a series has "too many reps" or "too few reps" as much as the Smash fans do.

We just got Piranha Plant as the 9th Mario rep!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Come think of it, why did people even think there would be no Pokémon newcomers?

Sakurai doesn't care if a series has "too many reps" or "too few reps" as much as the Smash fans do.

Because it was unlikely and I like betting riskier bets.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

Because none of us think the way he does. Also because we considered Pokémon complete with its three missing veterans from the last game, and couldn't think of a reason beyond tradition to add a Pokémon.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Here's the thing though, Ken has the same pose in the actual mural and the Grinch leak, so I'm a little confused.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I wasn't all-in on Vergeben, but I believed he was more credible than the Grinch because he had correctly made predictions. Individually, they weren't all surprising (the return of Snake and the ICs wasn't suprising, for example), but the number of correct predictions (Ridley + Simon + Isabelle + Snake/ICs + no cuts) together made him highly credible in my view. And I thought the fuzziness was highly suspicious.

That said, I thought it was possible Vergeben was wrong (he had multiple sources, it's possible one could be lying or mistaken or unaware of changes in plans). I didn't have any preconceptions about which Pokemon would make it other than what he said, so I expected Incineroar to be likely just on the basis of Vergeben. So I picked the last poll option.
Here's the thing though, Ken has the same pose in the actual mural and the Grinch leak, so I'm a little confused.
The only way to preserve the Grinch leak as not totally fake is that the person who did it was an insider and used game assets to create the fake. That would mean, aside from using Ken's actual portrait, that Isaac in the banner is using Isaac and Shadow's appearances as ATs, Chorus Kids' spirit art, etc.

In which case, you'd have to wonder where the art for Geno, Banjo-Kazooie and Mach Rider came from.

I haven't bothered checking if that's plausible.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I was first a grinch doubter who slowly went to Teamreal and then I got what for.

But I will admit to being exceedingly salty, not because Incineroar is in (although there are a few Pokémon characters I would've prefered), but moreso that the Vergeben train will continue into DLC, and I don't like that.
I already hate leaks with a passion and this just doesn't bode well in that regard.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Because none of us think the way he does. Also because we considered Pokémon complete with its three missing veterans from the last game, and couldn't think of a reason beyond tradition to add a Pokémon.
Well, I never considered Pokémon complete. Team Rocket Meowth is the last Pokémon All-Star still not playable in Smash.

:ultpikachu: - mascot
:ultpokemontrainer: - protagonist / avatar / player
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: - starter Pokémon
:ultmewtwo: - Legendary Pokémon

:ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja: - flavors of the month

Pokémon is still lacking the antagonist. And by that, I mean criminal organizations like Team Rocket, Team Aqua, Team Magma, etc.

That’s why I have been pushing for the most iconic criminal organization of the series, Team Rocket with Jessie, James, Meowth and Ekans and Koffing (or Meowth and Arbok and Weezing).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yep, I thought his chances were dead in the water thanks to the Grinch leak.

And I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well, I never considered Pokémon complete. Team Rocket Meowth is the last Pokémon All-Star still not playable in Smash.

:ultpikachu: - mascot
:ultpokemontrainer: - protagonist / avatar / player
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: - starter Pokémon
:ultmewtwo: - Legendary Pokémon

:ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja: - flavors of the month

Pokémon is still lacking the antagonist. And by that, I mean criminal organizations like Team Rocket, Team Aqua, Team Magma, etc.

That’s why I have been pushing for the most iconic criminal organization of the series, Team Rocket with Jessie, James, Meowth and Ekans and Koffing (or Meowth and Arbok and Weezing).
Lucario definately has staying power, he's still pretty popular and iconic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lucario definately has staying power, he's still pretty popular and iconic.
He does... but that doesn’t change the fact we are still missing an antagonist.

:052::023::109:

Even detractors have to acknowledge that Team Rocket and Meowth are pretty popular and iconic, especially after appearing in 1,000+ episodes for the past 20+ years... and that people got excited when Team Rocket showed up in Pokémon Let’s Go.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My gut was wrong. I’ll happily admit that. Inceneroar is exactly what I wanted. That’s all I really have to say.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I thought Lycanroc would be in instead and am still kinda bummed, buuuuuuut 'Roar definitely looks promising and his playstyle seems pretty appealing to my personal tastes. I'm definitely gonna try him out.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I definitely would have preferred Lycanroc and Decidueye, but they seem to have done a decent job with him- I'm thrown off by his uninspired Side-B... is it the first Pokémon with a non-Pokémon move special? Regardless, he looks more fun than I was hoping for, so that's good.

I did change stances on his chances late in the game- I had just assumed he was largely ignored. I had no idea about his large VGC presence, so that made me lean towards thinking him to bw more likely in the end though.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
He does... but that doesn’t change the fact we are still missing an antagonist.

:052::023::109:

Even detractors have to acknowledge that Team Rocket and Meowth are pretty popular and iconic, especially after appearing in 1,000+ episodes for the past 20+ years... and that people got excited when Team Rocket showed up in Pokémon Let’s Go.
It's arguable, but I believe Mewtwo would fill the antagonist role, at least with how it is portrayed (including in Melee). Team Rocket is no doubt iconic regardless.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I did my best to stay open minded to it. Team True seemed a bit more reluctant to look into the other side, so I ended up explaining how and why it could be faked more often than the other side. While many of the Grinch leaked characters could of been cool, I'm glad fire wrestler cat came out on top as he has the personality and flair I was hoping to see. I'm also happy the Grinch's smug face popping up everywhere in regards to stealing the limelight from Sakurai is dead.
mowergrinch.png

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I thought Grinch was real of course given all the evidence with it, and while Incineroar is obviously not as good as the Grinch characters I think he looks cool. I was not thinking he'd be anything interesting, maybe just a dud pick to satisfy the Pokemon company's marketing department, but even given that I'm probs gonna try to main him.

I was hoping Zangief would get into Smash and here he is. Pretty excited to try him out

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
i’d personally have preferred primarina despite it not being as popular as it’s fellow alola starters and greninja existing for the water starter slot, but legitimately i thought gen seven representation would be more akin to hoenn and unova due to the belief that a generation must be skipped over, and overall we wouldn’t get a gen seven character but maybe a generation eight as dlc

and yes, of course i believed the grinch leak, but that was because there wasn’t much detracting it like the esrb leak and i personally thought vergeben was gematsu 2.0

but of course i didn’t believe the esrb leak until the copyright claims got the early youtube footage taken down, so i probably wouldn’t believe another legit leak until it is too late such as this

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
I believed in the Grinch leak but deep down I'd have preferred to have Incineroar over any of the newcomers in that leak. I'm actually glad because Incineroar looks fun to play and it's also my favorite Alolan starter, tbh

TheSeelGoesMeow

Smash Rookie
Incineroar was so surprising But I am anything but disappointing his up B is awesome. Great Combo material.

Top Bottom