• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Incineroar Main Here - Need Help with some Matchups

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’m doing pretty good with Incineroar at my locals, but there’s 3 characters I’m struggling against. They are Inkling, Chrom, and by far Incineroar’s toughest matchup (imo), Samus. Link is Lao pretty common, but I’m quite a bit better than those players so I’m not too concerned about him, same for Simon/Richter. Any advice for the previously mentioned characters?

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
Personally I haven’t had much issues with either one of those characters. The most I have had trouble with with him are Flaco and the Belmonts. But that’s not saying those are bad match ups for him.

Inklings are tough but if you can anticipate the paint grenade you can always use Revenge on it. Also, if you anticipate the roller you can simply block it and have a few frames to do whatever you want to punish them. Alolan whip, Lariet, Nair, RAR Bair/fair, Down Smash (personally my favorite and I think his best smash). Shoot you can even catch them with the D-Smash on their roller. They die fairly early too. I say the match up might be 7/3 in Inklings favor. Just be careful with what you choose to do and don’t let them catch you pressing buttons. Off the ledge is tough though. Anticipate when they go off the ledge and maybe you can use Alolan Whops Super Armor frames to catch them off guard and hope to gain the stage advantage again.

Chrom, yeah this ones a sucky one but oh just have to punish his mistakes (which are very small opening). Still, Chrom is fairly easy to kill since his recovery is kinda bad. Use Revenge at the ledge to catch him and gimp him. After he uses his second jump and up-b close to the ledge then he doesn’t have much options to get back. Also, I think Incineroar is really good against some people when he’s under them and I think Chrom is kinda weak when it comes to that so staying under him and juggling him with your Uair’s can be helpful.

Samus, idk maybe the Samus players I’ve played are bad but her beam kinda sucks and very easy to predict/dodge/Revenge. Same with her missles- I’ll tend to just jump over them, block them, or revenge them (if he doesn’t have a beam charged up already). Being that she’s super floaty being underneath her may be a problem (if you can maneuver around her down-b which exposes her for a little) for her.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Against zoners just try to evade their projectiles use revenge on the projectiles, punish they end lag try to always be on their face but also dont take unnecessary damage trying to get in, if u stack up revenge with their projectiles just one of ur hits can be enough, try to use alolan whip to punish more, its better than running grab or running dash attack in most cases i have found.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Samus, idk maybe the Samus players I’ve played are bad but her beam kinda sucks and very easy to predict/dodge/Revenge. Same with her missles- I’ll tend to just jump over them, block them, or revenge them (if he doesn’t have a beam charged up already). Being that she’s super floaty being underneath her may be a problem (if you can maneuver around her down-b which exposes her for a little) for her.
I think I need to be a bit clearer as to why I’m struggling against Samus. At our locals, 99% of the time we play on Battlefield, which is a good stage for Incineroar. But this Samus in particular likes to stay on either far side and use side b’s and neutral b’s to rack up damage. Approach from the top you say? Get ready to eat an up smash or by far the hardest thing to counter, a grounded up b. Run at her? Being the slowest character in the game makes that pretty hard, especially since once this Samus gets a good stun on you, they love to run up and deal 40 something off of a grab. They also love to edgeguard with down b’s and hit you with the charge shot or dair if the appropriate time. And the dash attack, uggghhhh. Idk, for some reason Incineroar just really seems to be struggling against her. The only other character I’ve used against this Samus was Bowser. He spiked me within 15 seconds of the match XD.

Anyways, yeah. Samus definitely feels the toughest atm. That and she always recovers high, which makes it kind of hard to punish her recovery

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
I think I need to be a bit clearer as to why I’m struggling against Samus. At our locals, 99% of the time we play on Battlefield, which is a good stage for Incineroar. But this Samus in particular likes to stay on either far side and use side b’s and neutral b’s to rack up damage. Approach from the top you say? Get ready to eat an up smash or by far the hardest thing to counter, a grounded up b. Run at her? Being the slowest character in the game makes that pretty hard, especially since once this Samus gets a good stun on you, they love to run up and deal 40 something off of a grab. They also love to edgeguard with down b’s and hit you with the charge shot or dair if the appropriate time. And the dash attack, uggghhhh. Idk, for some reason Incineroar just really seems to be struggling against her. The only other character I’ve used against this Samus was Bowser. He spiked me within 15 seconds of the match XD.

Anyways, yeah. Samus definitely feels the toughest atm. That and she always recovers high, which makes it kind of hard to punish her recovery
See, I need to fight more Samus then! I usually play the ones online and it’s not that they are bad but they aren’t all that great either. Maybe lag input has to do something with it but I’ve faced only one Samus that gave me trouble but I managed to work my way around it. Her Up-B was by far the most annoying thing about her but other than that I never really allowed her to use her Down-B because I always tried to recover from the top corners of the blast zone so I never really got underneath the stage when recovering against her or parallel to her to avoid being shot by the charge beam.

It’s just one of those match ups I can totally see Incineroar doing good against because she’s sorta light.... BUT the Incineroar player has to play very VERY well! Like almost flawless!

I hear you though man! I feel your pain in his struggles! You know how long it took me to get him into Elite Smash? Forever! XD
I don’t even want to use him anymore just so he stays there.

As a matter of fact, I’m gonna pick up Samus just to understand her more.

Last edited:

KingAcid

Smash Rookie
For Samus you can: Shield projectile (wont get you far), Parry projectile (Make it easier to cover distance after), Revenge their projectile (Make you punishable if too close), clank their projectile with Jabs, F-Tilt and Fair. If they always U-Smash when approaching over, time a good revenge, it will force them to either run away (meaning you can start catching up) or force them to do an aerial which you might be able to shield/ spot dodge then punish. If u get hit by the aerial and end up over them, a fast fall Nair can probably catch em off guard otherwise use your kit (Cross chop/Revenge) to reach the ground, if you end up about at same height and they try to get a combo going, you can: Neutral/Side-B if you read a late aerial from them, Fading Fair (The one I would do as it usually works) or Double Jump->Fast fall Nair/Fair (Don't do it too often or they will read you and punish the double jump). You can always stack another Revenge buff out of it but it might be hard to get another opportunity to hit them.
For edge guard, if their have their double jump and go over, contest with aerials, if they go low, you can't really do anything unless you read a tether (which would be weird since they still have a double jump). Don't try to cover low if they have double jump otherwise you give them the stage for free. If they don't have double jump when getting close to the stage cover under the stage from the start to force them to recover high. I don't think there's any of Inci move that can really trade with their Up-B and they can't tether if you cover there (Use rising Nair/Dair). Their only option is either going for the ledge or land on stage. If they go for the ledge, you can go for an aerial which might be risky since they can Dair you, or Up-B and super armor should protect you from the spike. If they land on stage with their Up-B, punish the landing If they are really high and don't need to Up-B to land on stage don't cover low (obviously) and contest with your aerials, you U-Air is really good.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
For Samus you can: Shield projectile (wont get you far), Parry projectile (Make it easier to cover distance after), Revenge their projectile (Make you punishable if too close), clank their projectile with Jabs, F-Tilt and Fair. If they always U-Smash when approaching over, time a good revenge, it will force them to either run away (meaning you can start catching up) or force them to do an aerial which you might be able to shield/ spot dodge then punish. If u get hit by the aerial and end up over them, a fast fall Nair can probably catch em off guard otherwise use your kit (Cross chop/Revenge) to reach the ground, if you end up about at same height and they try to get a combo going, you can: Neutral/Side-B if you read a late aerial from them, Fading Fair (The one I would do as it usually works) or Double Jump->Fast fall Nair/Fair (Don't do it too often or they will read you and punish the double jump). You can always stack another Revenge buff out of it but it might be hard to get another opportunity to hit them.
I didn’t know his jab, ftilit and fair could do that with projectiles. Pretty sure nair and lariat do that too, but those don’t handle charge shot, do they?

Also I’ve seen that if I get Samus to the ledge and shield on the platform, she has a really hard time getting back to the stage without getting punished. Is this a valid strategy?

KingAcid

Smash Rookie
Nair hitbox is too bad to clank projectile and Dark Lariat is too punishable for small projectle. No Nair, jab, f-tilt wont clank charged shot, but a well timed Dark Lariat might because of its invincibility on his arms, to be tested. Charged shot are really dangerous and should be shielded, dodged or use revenge for max boost. Dodge by either by jumping, spot-dodge or air dodge. Don't try to clank it, it might just kill you.

Geicosuave

Smash Rookie

I'm no competitive strategist, so take anything I say at a grain of salt, but if they go for a grounded Up-B or an Up Smash when you approach from above, try baiting them out and punishing after

Top Bottom