• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In your opinion, what are the most important things that happened in the Sm4sh Metagame?

Lonky

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
I'm curious to know what most people think about the changes of the Sm4sh metagame.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
changes of the Sm4sh metagame.
In terms of what? What changes? You mean patches to the game? They are done for balancing purposes based on how the community reacts and tournament placings, therefore patches are generally fine as it affects the entire player base and creates an environment in which all players have to accommodate to.

Pretty much any patch that nerfed a certain character could be seen as somewhat significant as it reduced the threat of that character marginally as well as the base of players who use that character...

What exactly are you asking?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The :4diddy::4bayonetta2: nerfs, if you think they're busted now I wouldn't say you're entirely wrong, but they were on a whole other level back in their respective primes. They were both heavily nerfed, but still are pretty much the best characters in the game, just how dominant do you think they'd be without those nerfs?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...the buffs that :4marth: and :4mewtwo: had been blessed with over time, as well as garnering significant tourney results and representation to put them just inside the top tiers. I'd say those are among the most notable changes in the metagame.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Yeah...the buffs that :4marth: and :4mewtwo: had been blessed with over time, as well as garnering significant tourney results and representation to put them just inside the top tiers. I'd say those are among the most notable changes in the metagame.
Maybe among the top tiers, but don't forget about :4megaman: at EVO and :4lucario: at Frostbite.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
The metagame hasn't really seemed to deeply develop tbh. A few characters have risen bc a player who plays them performs well but it still hasn't really changed who people play or how they play. There's such a wide character list people seem to finding trouble with matchups and it's making it so I don't think people are fully confident with a single character and a lot of people are turning to secondaries and even tertiary characters. People don't have good answers to things like bayo or diddy or dk ding dong and other early percent KO combos.
The best characters have all been nerfed at one point in time or another diddy bayo sheik and the patches happened so frequently it kinda prevented meta from really developing when the game was in a stage of flux with new characters and patches and legal stages.
Nerfs have affected the meta a lot. Buffs have kinda only seemed to help mewtwo and marth/lucina at a competitive level with a few outliers here and there. But tbh, DLC has probably affected the meta the most. Bayo and Cloud especially. The doubles meta almost revolves around having a Cloud and mewtwo bayo cloud ryu, those characters find their way into top 8 a lot.

Top Bottom