• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In terms of the indie characters...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Who out of the big main two that most people discuss, that being Shantae and Shovel Knight, who has the biggest chance just between them and why?

I personally think that despite not having amiibo (Im not sure honestly how third party amiibos work, I assume the third party company has to get into talks with Nintendo to get one?) or any one game with such popularity among fans and critics, Shantae has a higher chance due to closer ties to Nintendo, simply more years under her belt as a series and character, and well Shovel Knight still only has really one game, and for a western third party thats abit of a problem I think at least.

slambros

Smash Ace
Shovel Knight for sure, simply because he's the more.popular one of the two.

:171:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd have to disagree. Shovel Knight was so universally accepted and loved. I'm not saying Shantae wasn't, but not to the same level as Shovel Knight. Besides that, as you mentioned, Shovel Knight was given an Amiibo. It doesn't matter that there is only one game because the world of Shovel Knight and its characters were so loved, the story so rich, they expanded upon the world and will have 4 adventures before they are done with the game. They haven't needed to make sequels.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I feel like popularity simply isn't enough of a justification.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So...the amiibo? Cause the world and chracters being loved are linked directly to popularity.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So...the amiibo? Cause the world and chracters being loved are linked directly to popularity.
The Amiibo, the richness of the world and story, one game equaling 4 games. Look, I am not saying Shantae is bad by any means; I'd love to see both. They are both unique characters that would fit into Smash. I just think that SK has a better chance. Nintendo, after all, thought it was good enough to have the same game (not counting Treasure Trove adventures) on three different systems. I'd say Nintendo is pretty happy with Shovel Knight.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If Sakurai wants an "western Indie character", the 2 most popular seem to be Shovel Knight, and Shantae.
Its a real toss up,
Shovel Knight has the 4 amiibo, but Shantae has the history with Nintendo.
Shovel Knight is more popular in the west, but Shantae seems to be more popular in japan, (Wayforward has been pushing her hard in japan and seems to be having success)
Both Fit the "Smash" style
Both can offer something unique to the roster
Both of their respective companies would jump at the chance.

While I personally would prefer Shantae, id be very happy with shovel knight.

Nintendo, after all, thought it was good enough to have the same game (not counting Treasure Trove adventures) on three different systems. I'd say Nintendo is pretty happy with Shovel Knight.
Shantae and the Pirates Curse was on the 3DS, Wii U, and Is being released on the Switch 3/20

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shantae and the Pirates Curse Was on the 3DS, Wii U, and Is being released on the Switch 3/20
Good point. Even more of a toss up then. I still predict Shovel Knight edging out Shantae if there was a hypothetical situation that meant picking one would negate the other's chances. Who knows with Sakurai though.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The Amiibo, the richness of the world and story, one game equaling 4 games. Look, I am not saying Shantae is bad by any means; I'd love to see both. They are both unique characters that would fit into Smash. I just think that SK has a better chance. Nintendo, after all, thought it was good enough to have the same game (not counting Treasure Trove adventures) on three different systems. I'd say Nintendo is pretty happy with Shovel Knight.
oh alright, I misunderstood your post

Shantae and the Pirates Curse was on the 3DS, Wii U, and Is being released on the Switch 3/20
Not to mention Half Genie Hero is getting a physical release in April.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No worries. They both have the potential for very unique movesets, I'd be happy either, or if I had a say, both.
I'd be happy with either, but I havve to admit a part of me would feel abit...juuuust a bit, agitated if SK gets in before Shantae. Like I'll be smiling all throughout the reveal, but then my inside voice will say "Shantae deserved it more"

and then I'll enjoy speculating on SK!

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I'd be happy with either, but I havve to admit a part of me would feel abit...juuuust a bit, agitated if SK gets in before Shantae. Like I'll be smiling all throughout the reveal, but then my inside voice will say "Shantae deserved it more"

and then I'll enjoy speculating on SK!
Pretty much would be my reaction too lol

my only minor qualm with SK is he could very easily feel like another swords man, at least hes not an anime swordsman lol.
(I know its a shovel, and there is a lot you can do in a very Mega man syle with his relics. thats why its a minor qualm)

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't care much about either of them. I'd rather have Miriam from Bloodstained, since there's a whipsword in that game, so she could use that.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I hope Wario never has a single Wario Land reference in Smash just for you.
Meh, that's what I'm expecting to happen anyways. I can live with using DK and Dedede for the rest of my life.

But because of your post, the schadenfreude of Shantae/Shovel Knight never making it in is going to be much sweeter for me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Meh, that's what I'm expecting to happen anyways. I can live with using DK and Dedede for the rest of my life.

But because of your post, the schadenfreude of Shantae/Shovel Knight never making it in is going to be much sweeter for me.
Hey you were being a **** first, jerk.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Out of the two it's gotta be Shovel Knight. I like Shantae, but Shovel Knight has made a far bigger impact in a much smaller time. Popularity wise they were right next to each other last time around, but I have a feeling SK will do better right now.

Outside indie chances of have to give to Sans, despite my dislike for him. Undertale got huge, and he was the name people clung to. If Cuphead had a release on Switch, I'd give it to him.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hey you were being a **** first, jerk.
I'm going to need both of you to calm down. Something like this isn't worth getting rude over.

PsychoJosh, there's no need to come into a topic just to say that you dislike both characters and hope that neither one makes it in. Not only is it contributing nothing to the discussion, but it's clearly going to annoy/aggravate everyone else in the topic.

Shinuto, hoping that Wario never gets references to the Wario Land games in his moveset is just crossing a line. Seriously, though, just ignore something like that.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I want Shovel Knight and Wario Land Wario dammit, can't we all just get along?

Top Bottom