• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving your "vision" in Melee

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
A couple months ago, I decided to try a little experiment in Melee. Whenever I played by myself, I would just go into training mode and combo for all I was worth. I started to only play off-speed, 1/4 speed to 2x speed, switching back and forth often. Most of you know this, but one of the ways the brain learns is through "osmosis", where being around or exposed to certain information allows you to absorb said information. Playing at the lower speeds for a while got me to react to frame data more... fluently? I guess that's the appropriate word for it. Playing at faster speeds (and yes, admittedly SD-ing at higher speeds) slowed the game down for me perceptively when playing at normal 1x speed.

TL;DR Off-speed training made me see Melee better. Any thoughts on this? What do you guys do to make your brains Melee better?

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. I'll have to try this out. I can see the upsides now that you mention it, such as recognizing animations and such. Thanks for the tip! I'm always fascinated by the things people figure out to train by themselves.

Edit: forgot to answer the question!

A number of things. If I wanna train but keep it fun I play adventure mode and stuff like that. Free for alls against bots is a new technique I'm trying out. The reason why single player modes works for me is because it teaches me the game at a fundamental level. Wanna learn spacing? Well then you better space out and avoid 3 pikachus at a time on very hard.

Single player free for all is the same thing. You need to keep track of 3 players and their % and their positioning. It teaches you awareness.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Interesting. I'll have to try this out. I can see the upsides now that you mention it, such as recognizing animations and such. Thanks for the tip! I'm always fascinated by the things people figure out to train by themselves.

Edit: forgot to answer the question!

A number of things. If I wanna train but keep it fun I play adventure mode and stuff like that. Free for alls against bots is a new technique I'm trying out. The reason why single player modes works for me is because it teaches me the game at a fundamental level. Wanna learn spacing? Well then you better space out and avoid 3 pikachus at a time on very hard.

Single player free for all is the same thing. You need to keep track of 3 players and their % and their positioning. It teaches you awareness.
I can see the theory behind that, I think I'm going to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Out of game reaction tests help hugely when I want to practise Melee but have no setup.
I do these a lot when I'm away from my gamecube and I agree that they're great. I also keep a controller in my glove box so if I'm waiting in my car for anything, I can just fiddle around with mental combos and whatnot.

Mr.Enzo

Smash Rookie
There's also the tech chase app you can download to help with reactions which I use from time to time.

Mr.Enzo

Smash Rookie
haha, definitely worth a download, free of course.

*also on the 'off speed training', I also felt more reactive or rather I had more time to react after x2 speed. However it seems like the timings of my l-cancels were a little off when returning to x1. But maybe I should concentrate on actively pressing l instead of just learning timings, you know, for more fluid play.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
haha, definitely worth a download, free of course.

*also on the 'off speed training', I also felt more reactive or rather I had more time to react after x2 speed. However it seems like the timings of my l-cancels were a little off when returning to x1. But maybe I should concentrate on actively pressing l instead of just learning timings, you know, for more fluid play.
I felt the same thing for the same reason. I started getting timings wrong and then fixed it after a while by forcing myself to focus on the frames instead of the timing.

Mr.Enzo

Smash Rookie
I felt the same thing for the same reason. I started getting timings wrong and then fixed it after a while by forcing myself to focus on the frames instead of the timing.
Remembered theres a single player practise you can do for l cancels which helps me alot. I think it was ppmd who told hax that if you go into team battle with u vs. 3 lvl 1 ice climbers on a Team(teamattackoff)and just spam aerials it helps alot with the l cancels.

Gets annoying after a while with the noises the ics make though.

Top Bottom