• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving Jigglypuff's Grounded Game - The Slow Run

RPK

Smash Lord
So after being absent from this character for over a decade, I have decided to give her a try again and wanted to post to you guys my recent discovery from playing this character that I don't see focused on very often, and I am talking about the ground game.

One of the bigger things that I wanted to point out was that Jigglypuff isn't known for having the most amazing ground game which makes our approaches fairly linear when it comes to the fact that we only approach from the air. However, I would like to now bring attention to something that should be covered and will help with it TREMENDOUSLY.

Jigglypuff has, hands down, the worst walk speed, and run speed in the game making her ground mobility seem terrible at first glance. However, what she also has is the 2nd best traction in the game. Normally if you go straight into a run and then let go of the analog stick, Jigglypuff will stall for a few moments before you're able to act. However, there are multiple types of runs in Smash 4. Which brings me to the slow run.

After initiating a run, slide the analog stick to a 45 degree angle. Doing so will not give you her full run speed, but about half of it making it even slightly slower. You can tell if you're doing it right because if Jigglypuff runs at the ledge, she will continue her running animation without falling off. Now, once you've gotten that down, all you have to do is circle the analog stick straight down, or just let go. What is nice, is that this is a universal tech that can be expanded to other characters, but Jigglypuff is one of the characters that I believe can best utilize this technique Some of the characters that I've tried it on slide quite a bit after stopping and can't move at all till the slide has finished, but because she has the 2nd best traction in the game this will make Jigglypuff stop directly in place, however this animation can be canceled into literally anything.

This will allow us, while having access to dash attack, and dash grab, to stop in our tracks at anytime during a run and follow up with anything that we would like allowing things such as run to forward smash. Because of how instantaneously you're able to cancel her run, you can actually start immediately running in the other direction once you have gotten used to the timing. This can set up some amazing mind games such as run, run the other direction, or you can even stop and dash dance at them before running and instantly stopping. Or you can even do the best thing, slow run into crouch.

While this isn't something new, it is something that I feel should be implemented into our current metagame because this is something that will give us access to pretty much our ENTIRE kit while running which is sometimes something that needs to be done depending on the match up.

I'll also do what I can to try and put out a video on this in the near future, but this is definitely something that will help expand the Jigglypuff metagame. It really has been quite awhile since I've had so much fun labbing a character, and I'm hoping to put more content and find more things like this as the metagame develops.

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
So after being absent from this character for over a decade, I have decided to give her a try again and wanted to post to you guys my recent discovery from playing this character that I don't see focused on very often, and I am talking about the ground game.

One of the bigger things that I wanted to point out was that Jigglypuff isn't known for having the most amazing ground game which makes our approaches fairly linear when it comes to the fact that we only approach from the air. However, I would like to now bring attention to something that should be covered and will help with it TREMENDOUSLY.

Jigglypuff has, hands down, the worst walk speed, and run speed in the game making her ground mobility seem terrible at first glance. However, what she also has is the 2nd best traction in the game. Normally if you go straight into a run and then let go of the analog stick, Jigglypuff will stall for a few moments before you're able to act. However, there are multiple types of runs in Smash 4. Which brings me to the slow run.

After initiating a run, slide the analog stick to a 45 degree angle. Doing so will not give you her full run speed, but about half of it making it even slightly slower. You can tell if you're doing it right because if Jigglypuff runs at the ledge, she will continue her running animation without falling off. Now, once you've gotten that down, all you have to do is circle the analog stick straight down, or just let go. What is nice, is that this is a universal tech that can be expanded to other characters, but Jigglypuff is one of the characters that I believe can best utilize this technique Some of the characters that I've tried it on slide quite a bit after stopping and can't move at all till the slide has finished, but because she has the 2nd best traction in the game this will make Jigglypuff stop directly in place, however this animation can be canceled into literally anything.

This will allow us, while having access to dash attack, and dash grab, to stop in our tracks at anytime during a run and follow up with anything that we would like allowing things such as run to forward smash. Because of how instantaneously you're able to cancel her run, you can actually start immediately running in the other direction once you have gotten used to the timing. This can set up some amazing mind games such as run, run the other direction, or you can even stop and dash dance at them before running and instantly stopping. Or you can even do the best thing, slow run into crouch.

While this isn't something new, it is something that I feel should be implemented into our current metagame because this is something that will give us access to pretty much our ENTIRE kit while running which is sometimes something that needs to be done depending on the match up.

I'll also do what I can to try and put out a video on this in the near future, but this is definitely something that will help expand the Jigglypuff metagame. It really has been quite awhile since I've had so much fun labbing a character, and I'm hoping to put more content and find more things like this as the metagame develops.
Do you have a video up yet?

Top Bottom