• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your gameplay! - Mario Peer Review

FreedTerror

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone this will be my first post on here so don't go easy on me. I've been using mario since 3.0.

I want to let my gameplay speak for itself, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pENJvY9PMQ4

Match 1 Mario vs Link 0:00 - 4:15
Match 2 Mario vs Link 4:23 - 9:13
Match 3 Mario vs JigglyPuff 9:23 - 13:00

Once I get some feedback I'll be happy to say more.

Last edited:

comicalflop

Smash Cadet
Been playing PM since November, I'm typically an Ivy main, but I've been working on Mario, I decided to bust him out for the first time on stream and I'd like some input:

(Game 1 and 2 I play as ivy, at 10:00 is when I switch to Mario, do a button check to play around with movement then start game 3 at 11:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyoB9NA6q10

Wilfio

Smash Rookie
These are just some friendlies and the other player isn't playing his main but I don't often get a chance to have my games recorded so any feedback would be really appreciated. I still see a lot of mistakes in my play but getting another mario's perspective would help a lot, there may be some obvious places for improvement.

http://www.twitch.tv/swstv/b/674753555?t=2h58m40s

No~m

Smash Rookie
I watched the first two games in the first video, the one against the Mewtwo and then Link:

- Pros
  • Liked the mario a lot! Good use of fireballs and conversions off of them like dsmash/grab
  • Good recovery distance with down+B, although if you're not doing so already try mapping all 3 D-pad options to Special, then reach down with right hand for mashing. You get huge distance
  • Also liked your occasional use of aggressive up B's to get out of sticky situations
  • Good patience, forced your opponent to approach a lot
  • Really nice use of jab resets, you seemed to know when to go for them
  • Nice combo game, surprised by what you could do to the Mewtwo
  • Good use of nair against Link, its a good tool for approaching and stuffing boomerang at the same time
  • Your tech skill and survival DI looked good
- Suggestions
  • More dash-dancing in neutral, slightly less fireballs - they worked rly well against the Link but the Mewtwo should've been punishing you harder w/ teleport for committing to them. Very matchup-based of course though
  • Don't forget to go for jab 1 > grab or jab 1 > dsmash, almost always better than just finishing the jab combo
  • Mix up your recovery order and try to save your double jump for when you really need it - finding yourself above the opponent without a double jump is dangerous when all we have is dair. That being said I think down B is a slight exception and should usually be used first (when you're farthest away from your opponent) since it's so punishable - just get the height out of it and then mix up fast fall/side B/double jump/up B to recover
  • One extra little recovery tip I found useful (saw Boss do it) is to use your side B backwards to turn you around while recovering. This gives you access to bair while recovering, which is far more useful than fair for defending against an opponent attempting to gimp you
  • Practice chain grabs in training, you can get Link up to almost 50% and then combo into uairs
  • Ledge dash / waveland onto ledge more perhaps? When you're confident it won't be punished
  • Biggest suggestion - go for more edge-guard gimp attempts, especially with Bair. From the two games I saw you would usually sit back a bit and cover the ledge with fireballs and spaced smashes, which is safe but not that rewarding unless you make a hard read (which to be fair you did a couple times with f-smash). Mario's Bair is a silly edge-guarding tool and sends them at a semi-spike angle - once you knock them off the stage try RAR-ing off the stage and harrassing with Bair. It pressures/potentially gimps them and it's pretty safe given Mario's ridiculous recovery (especially with down B d-pad mashing)

That's about it, hope I was able to help! :)

White Light

Smash Journeyman
I'm Maveric from New England, and I have been playing since 3.0.2.
Here's me losing to The Derrit at Smashing Grounds. Please let me know how I can improve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLLe8DgQ3E
grab the ledge when ivysaur has to recover, you get a free punish. wavedash back and forth more, especially waveland forward > grab or waveland back > fireball. dont be afraid of ivysaurs aerials. use your neutral air and bair to approach. also dont just use fireball to spam. use it intelligently, such as when approaching use a fireball then waveland forward to either grab if he shields or dtilt if he doesnt

FreedTerror

Smash Rookie
I watched the first two games in the first video, the one against the Mewtwo and then Link:

- Pros
  • Liked the mario a lot! Good use of fireballs and conversions off of them like dsmash/grab
  • Good recovery distance with down+B, although if you're not doing so already try mapping all 3 D-pad options to Special, then reach down with right hand for mashing. You get huge distance
  • Also liked your occasional use of aggressive up B's to get out of sticky situations
  • Good patience, forced your opponent to approach a lot
  • Really nice use of jab resets, you seemed to know when to go for them
  • Nice combo game, surprised by what you could do to the Mewtwo
  • Good use of nair against Link, its a good tool for approaching and stuffing boomerang at the same time
  • Your tech skill and survival DI looked good
- Suggestions
  • More dash-dancing in neutral, slightly less fireballs - they worked rly well against the Link but the Mewtwo should've been punishing you harder w/ teleport for committing to them. Very matchup-based of course though
  • Don't forget to go for jab 1 > grab or jab 1 > dsmash, almost always better than just finishing the jab combo
  • Mix up your recovery order and try to save your double jump for when you really need it - finding yourself above the opponent without a double jump is dangerous when all we have is dair. That being said I think down B is a slight exception and should usually be used first (when you're farthest away from your opponent) since it's so punishable - just get the height out of it and then mix up fast fall/side B/double jump/up B to recover
  • One extra little recovery tip I found useful (saw Boss do it) is to use your side B backwards to turn you around while recovering. This gives you access to bair while recovering, which is far more useful than fair for defending against an opponent attempting to gimp you
  • Practice chain grabs in training, you can get Link up to almost 50% and then combo into uairs
  • Ledge dash / waveland onto ledge more perhaps? When you're confident it won't be punished
  • Biggest suggestion - go for more edge-guard gimp attempts, especially with Bair. From the two games I saw you would usually sit back a bit and cover the ledge with fireballs and spaced smashes, which is safe but not that rewarding unless you make a hard read (which to be fair you did a couple times with f-smash). Mario's Bair is a silly edge-guarding tool and sends them at a semi-spike angle - once you knock them off the stage try RAR-ing off the stage and harrassing with Bair. It pressures/potentially gimps them and it's pretty safe given Mario's ridiculous recovery (especially with down B d-pad mashing)

That's about it, hope I was able to help! :)
Thanks for the great feedback!! Sorry for the late reply.

In regards to your suggestions, I agreed with less fireballs and more dash-dancing. The options off of dash-dancing can be brutal. I can jump-cancel my grabs very consistently, so getting chain grabs down shouldn't be a problem.Your right about jab 1 into dsmash or grab, I did go for that in some of the other matches in the video. Will definitely be more aggressive with that bair and RAR-ing off stage. The frame data on Mario's upb speaks for itself. It's also very good OOS option. I tried the map specials to d-pad trick and I didn't like it, although my b mashing is really good. I agree with saving your double jump till you really need it. The reverse cape trick off stage is a good idea. I'd say my tech and DI were on point in the videos.

Last edited:

Maveric1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maveric1
grab the ledge when ivysaur has to recover, you get a free punish. wavedash back and forth more, especially waveland forward > grab or waveland back > fireball. dont be afraid of ivysaurs aerials. use your neutral air and bair to approach. also dont just use fireball to spam. use it intelligently, such as when approaching use a fireball then waveland forward to either grab if he shields or dtilt if he doesnt
Thanks for the feedback. I will try to switch up my fireball usage as well as approach with bair. I will work on using wavelands too. I also knew the aspect of punishing the tether recovery, however I didn't do it every time that set because I was nervous and forgot.

KOA_Dio

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. My name is KOA|Dio. Been playing Mario for awhile now, but I still don't feel like I'm where I should be. Help me out here! Got some matches from a local yesterday. Let me know what's up

Mario vs Olimar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6gfkMq48&index=1&list=PLmDZnEGBOeNN_xwIO0S-G0lc5R8zHeph9
Mario vs G&W
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZdc8cDa8E&index=6&list=PLmDZnEGBOeNN_xwIO0S-G0lc5R8zHeph9
Mario vs Sheik/Roy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2TbSE2BoQ&list=PLmDZnEGBOeNN_xwIO0S-G0lc5R8zHeph9&index=8
Mario vs Marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLzDXkVBXs&index=9&list=PLmDZnEGBOeNN_xwIO0S-G0lc5R8zHeph9

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Okay that Sheik V Mario game 1 was heartbreaking :/

Honestly one thing I've noticed is that you don't have good ledge options you either tournament winner from ledge for ledge hop and follow it up with dair.

Instead of doing that, learn how to do the invincible ledgedash. Mario has one of the best ones getting 10 frames of invulnerability if done frame perfectly. From there, you can throw out an invincible jab, which could lead into JC grab, dtilt, uptilt, or downsmash if they're at high percents.
Okay now for those Marth games :(

You shouldn't approach with aerials so much, that Marth was just batting you away with SH fairs, nairs, or anti airing you with Uptilt.

As Mario you want to stay grounded like a rock, since on the ground you have your most potent offensive move, GRABS. What you should do, is approach with your shield, and WD out to bait a move from Marth, then WD back in and GRAB him and hopefully either take his stock or knock him off stage.
I'll watch the rest of the sets later and edit this post but hopefully what I said helps :)

KOA_Dio

Smash Rookie
Hey plumbers. Back again with more matches to critique. I feel like I grew at least a little since my last uploads here, but know I have places to go. Sorry for the stupid long video. Our editor being lazy

Smash City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z74qxNnpI0

First match at 3:30 vs Squirtle
Definitely got really frustrated here. Sera played a mean Squirtle, and later, Ness. Being that I don't know those characters well, I definitely got bodied, along with visibly and vocally frustrated over nothing. Good job saving face, me

Second match at 1:30:27 vs Zelda
Vitriform is a guy I play often, and have definitely felt myself getting slowly better against, luckily. Zelda is a pretty strange MU to tackle. Managed to eke out the v here. Got gfycat'd a few times along the way, but a v nonetheless

Third and final match at 1:49:56 vs Ness
Not a whole lot to say about this one. Sera got me again, this time with Ness. Real shame, losing to him twice! I was already kind of upset by the end of game 1. My controller felt finicky, but I didn't want to waste the time to swap out and try it again, going in with an overwhelming lack of confidence. GGs to Sera though! He was a new face to the tourney, and seriously welcome competition at the end of the day

Really let me have it! Thanks guys, and take care

Btw, trying to get into the Mario skype group is a pain. Posted up a couple times and got no response. Could someone message me their contact into to throw me in?

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
Hey. would like some other thoughts on this match i played.

things i think i need to improve on:
* Edgeguarding ike.
*at times i could have opt'd for a simpler options, such as an F-tilt or U-tilt.
*There were some chain grabs/conversions, I accidentally dropped at early percents. Mainly due to nervousness.
*Also at times i tried to ledge dash and ended up just jumping from the ledge, which resulted in a stock or 2.

Mario v Ike:

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
KOA_DIO

Im only commenting on what i saw during the matches with ness.

One of the biggest things that ness loses to is shield. I did not see you shield grab him ONCE. Ness has no moves that are safe on shield(unless he spaces his F-Air). All of his aerials are easily shield grabbed. if the ness player is not fully aware of this weakness you can abuse it well.

-Try some well spaced F-tilt in this MU as well. Edit 1/8/2015 : Ness is always trying to forces his way into your space(I uses the word force because ness lacks reliable neutral tools). A well spaced f tilt could keep him out of that space.

Another big thing i noticed is that you were not properly edgeguarding ness. Often times you would just jump out at the player. You should have been able to easily cape, most of his recovery attempts. That or grabbing ledge. That at least forces the ness to recover one stage. if he's close enough you may get a Fair off.

-On DL i noticed you tried to start capping, then gave up after a few missed attempts. some of them you were not i good postion to cape, other times you tried to jump at him and cape

The biggest thing i believe got in your way was your salt. The Ness MU requires alot of patients. Ness is a punishing machine. Your began to over commit at get unnecessarily aggro. Patience is key. Edit 1/8/2015: what this MU ends up boiling down to is, how hard Ness can punish; how hard can Mario be in control in neutral.

Last thing: Don't be too afraid to fireball in this MU. i heard a little of what your opponent was saying to you. You can use Fire ball to not only disrupt his normal movement(in a way making him work around it), But to bait him/force him into certain options.

Lets say Sera approached your fireball with magnet. Most ness's would be likely to jump out at you and Fair. which you can then sheild grab.

Lets say he instead decided to just dash away and fireball. He is indirectly giving up stage position. If he commits to a grounded magnet(with aerial magnet cancels ness's do not hold :GCB:, they tap it. If they did they would be stuck in magnet longer than desired.), you can use that frame advantage to close spaces.

TLDR: be patient keep cool.

Last edited:

Keman

Smash Apprentice
I'm not good enough to help you, but I did want to say I enjoyed the Ness info. Maybe if you used the correct Mario skin it would help? (aka not Doc)

The only general Ike things I can even think of are like. "small stages" I guess they were banned since Ike's hate losing the movement option that come with more space. Spamming fireballs to try to limit there movements, but damn that Nair was just eating right through them and taking up 25% of the stage >.>

Top Bottom