• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Import 20XX CPU AI into Vanilla Melee

SoulHunter67

Smash Rookie
I have an interest in modding Melee to take a crack at creating my interpretation of a balanced Melee. However, there is one problem I am facing. I used 20XX 4.0.7++ for creating my mod, and I realize that I cannot install CrazyHand's FSM mod into it. From what I've read, this is because 20XX has an FSM mod for SD Remix. I know I can just settle with doing it on a Vanilla Melee ISO, but I like the improved CPU AI in 20XX since while not a fully accurate depiction, it would allow me to see the buffed characters more in action.

I would just like to know if there is a way of importing CPU AI from 20XX to Vanilla Melee. From what I have gathered, the CPU AI info lies in the PlCo.dat and Start.DOL files. It seems like I can simply replace Vanilla Melee's PlCo.dat with 20XX's PlCo.dat, but it's more complicated with the start.dol files. Where should I look for when it comes to importing CPU AI info from 20XX's Start.dol to Vanilla Melee's Start.dol? Is there a specific offset that addresses CPU AI, and what are the offsets? Are there any other files I need to look into, or is there a better way, such as modding 20XX itself and its FSM?

For clarification, I am not interested in having all of the 20XX CPU options such as OOS options and playback, all I want is the default improved, more technical CPU AI.

I am new to the whole modding scene, so I apologize in advance if any of these questions may seem obvious and if it takes me a while to understand.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
Hey, welcome to the boards!

The newer versions of Melee Code Manager (MCM) have a special code region that you can use on vanilla DOLs to install the list of 20XX codes available on the 20XX github page. In MCM, if you enable only this special 20XX code region from the "Code-Space Options" button, you can then put this text file into your Mods Library folder to enable the individual installation of 20XX codes to a target ISO or DOL file.

Among the codes is something called "CPU AI Mods" -- which I think is what you’re looking for. I’ve never looked at it before in detail, but I can see that it’s a VERY large code with 1 injection point at 8006b008 (DOL offset 0x67BE8). This injection point is part of a callback function used by player entities (GObjs) to update their controller buttons each frame.

SoulHunter67

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the warm welcome, and thanks especially for the help! I'm definitely now one step closer to importing the 20XX AI over to Vanilla Melee. There is just one problem.

When I added the "CPU AI Mods" mod, I notice that in comparison to the 20XX 4.07++ version, the CPUs would act more passively. They would spend more time dash dancing around and interact occasionally as opposed to 20XX's more aggressive nature. Is there anything else I have to do in order to fix this issue and completely replicate their AI?

Thanks a lot for the help though, they are acting more closely to 20XX AI as opposed to before, so at least I'm getting there!

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
Thank you for the warm welcome, and thanks especially for the help! I'm definitely now one step closer to importing the 20XX AI over to Vanilla Melee. There is just one problem.

When I added the "CPU AI Mods" mod, I notice that in comparison to the 20XX 4.07++ version, the CPUs would act more passively. They would spend more time dash dancing around and interact occasionally as opposed to 20XX's more aggressive nature. Is there anything else I have to do in order to fix this issue and completely replicate their AI?

Thanks a lot for the help though, they are acting more closely to 20XX AI as opposed to before, so at least I'm getting there!
Oh, you’re right. I’m not sure what causes this, but I’m guessing that there’s just some other aspect of 20XX that initializes or configures it in some way. No idea what it might be though. I tried installing a few other parts of 20XX alongside it, but it didn’t seem to bring back the AI’s aggressiveness.
Maybe somebody on the workshop discord will know more.

Top Bottom