• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Implications of Dual Sticking on the Dedede Shuffle

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now I know what you're thinking: "Wait what!? This has to be some kind of lame joke right? Not only is this kid talking about the 'Dedede Shuffle' (rofl) but he's not even a D3? Obvious troll."

Yeah I know. And it's probably not going to get much better from here, but you've got to believe me when I say I'm serious here, as stupid and pointless as this is all going to sound. I'll be up front with you: the information you're about to read is about as useless as it gets. It will almost certainly never have an impact on competitive play nor be used to do anything but troll your friends, but for those of you still interested feel free to read on.

I've found out something about the Dedede Shuffle after stumbling across it in the FAQ of Commander_Beef's sticky. The vid referenced in it can be found here.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, the long and short of the D3 shuffle is that due to a glitch during his Down B's walk animation startup you can cause D3 to "shuffle" across the stage fairly fast by tapping the stick just past the walk threshold inhumanly fast (best seen in training at lower speeds). The only conceivable way to perform it in real time without being a machine is to tilt your control stick at a very minute and specific angle that causes your controller to bug out which can lead to what you see in the last example if you get lucky. It's impressive and hilarious in a short burst, but not much else.

Well here's where me being a derp and Dual Sticking comes in. In my random spazzing of all things glitchtastic in this game and trying to replicate the Dedede Shuffle for my own amusement I've discovered that the C-stick also causes Dedede to move slightly if tapped while charging your Jet Hammer. Go ahead, try it right now if you want, I can wait.

Dinky isn't it? But for some insane reason that dinky little nudge D3 gets when you tap the C-stick is just enough to make a difference in the "Shuffle". By holding your Jet Hammer and alternating flicking the Control Stick AND the C-stick in the direction you wish to go, it's possible to mimic the shuffle speeds some insane control stick tapping might get you, but without all the physical impossibility. It's finicky business to say the least, but with a little practice (or luck) you can coax Dedede to shuffle about at around the same speed as his normal run plus a little extra at top speed; it's enough to outrun things like DK's UpB while still charging your Jet Hammer. I've found the most consistent success with this by flicking the C-stick first, then quickly following up with the Control Stick in a sort of "1-2" motion but it's far from set in stone.

"Is that all?"

Yep. That's about it. I never said this information would be useful... in fact I think I specifically warned you it basically wasn't. But if you'd like to try this for yourself, I encourage it. It's good fun, and might just get you a kill on DK some day if you feel troll-ish. You never know, maybe someone out there with ungodly hand speed could really book it with this method; I'm just throwing the info out there in case it genuinely interests anyone.

(and no sorry, I don't have any means of recording what it looks like to properly Dual Stick Dedede Shuffle for comparison/demonstration purposes, you'll just have to fiddle around with it until it feels right to you)

Official soundtrack of the Dedede Shuffle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIOOwhmkoLo

Doc King

Smash Lord
I've known this before. This might help a little with getting the shuffling to move faster.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yep, every little bit helps. Just letting people know about it just in case.

Every day I'm shufflin'

Xubble

Smash Ace
A charged fsmash is more powerful than Jet Hammer. I think Jet Hammer fully charged (where you start taking damage) is about as strong as an uncharged fsmash, and that's still pretty powerful.

Top Bottom