• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Implementing Egg Roll?

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
Hi, new user here.
Anyway I've noticed that a lot of Yoshi's in Project M seem to use sideB a lot, but I can never find ways to incorporate it into my game, aside from recovery mixups.
Does anyone have any idea how to use this move properly?

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Learn its hitboxes, learn the timing, learn when it's good to use it. remember that eggroll has a hitbox on exit
Examples of use:

makes recovery a ton better because it allows for more horizontal movement
  • you can control the trajectory of the roll to snake around people's followups
  • you control when you exit, which keeps your ability to do aerials and airdodge.
not a good approach, but it's still an approach
  • very fast, most have difficulty punishing it unless you give them practice (don't use it too much)
  • Gets safer the higher percentage you are.
    • what I mean by this is, when/if people punish an eggroll, it's rarely something that will kill. Unless you're a tard and eggroll right into someone charging a smash attack or something, rolling at them at mid/high percents can be good in context
  • if you roll off a platform, eggroll will destroy/ignore all physical projectiles while it's in the air. (transcendent projectiles like falco's laser won't)
    • this includes samus missiles
  • you can eggroll to the ledge and reverse ledge grab it for a safe escape or positioning
Remember
  • eggroll has no hitbox when started in the air, if someone is making a move at you, try to catch them with the exit hitbox
  • if you turn around eggroll on the ground, you lose hitboxes on it for a hefty amount of time, maybe 30-40 frames of nothing.
  • you can start eggroll anywhere, but if you're hit out of it while you're in the air, you won't have any jumps.
  • eggroll loses horizontal trajectory if you use it more than once in the air.
  • when you start eggroll from anywhere, you can reverse it, control the decent, and when you hit the ground, you can reverse the direction you were originally facing. Doing this well will give you some interesting movement and can confuse your opponent.
If there's anything confusing in here or if you need additional tips, don't hesitate to ask

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Don't use this move for more than a recovery mix up, please. It's the best Yoshi move at teaching you bad habits hands down. It's the perfect example of something that will work very well vs bad players, but never accomplish anything vs good players. Practice literally any other approach.

didds

Smash Lord
Don't use this move for more than a recovery mix up, please. It's the best Yoshi move at teaching you bad habits hands down. It's the perfect example of something that will work very well vs bad players, but never accomplish anything vs good players. Practice literally any other approach.
Pretty much this

the only other reason I could think of where maybe it's an okay option is as a quick bait and counter when you're cornered, but rather then trying to get anything out of it, just continuing through and exiting at a safe distance.

So recovery and a really niche positioning tool.

Timid_Panda

Smash Cadet
Soooo.... just because I dont wanna make my own thread. What ARE some respectable ways to approach?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Soooo.... just because I dont wanna make my own thread. What ARE some respectable ways to approach?
A spaced, l-canceled fair on shield is very safe! It can lead in to jabs, then a d-tilt, and that fair>jabs>d-tilt is a very safe string. You'll have to mix up the jab timings a bit, though. Try to bait your opponent to come in, then use your quick pivot grab to snatch them up. Gotta watch your opponent and punish them. Or, better, watch how better players choose to approach and work off that.

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
Honestly I like to waveland off platform > nair or double jump land > Egg Lay. Egg Lay just has such ludicrous range for a fast command grab and while they're in the egg, I throw out an egg to cover some landings after the invincibility frames end (i found in debug mode that opponents are invincible after escaping an egg; does anyone have frame data for this?)

Also thanks for the response guys!

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Egg lay is good, kind of, but against competent opponents it really doesn't lead in to anything so that makes it kinda unoptimal.

Top Bottom