• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Switching over from Smash 4 and getting into my local Project M scene. I thought this might be a good place to introduce myself to P:M's ROB mains. Any tips starting out in P:M?
Welcome! Settle in for the long haul, because ROB can be kinda boring sometimes... :p

If you're coming in from Smash 4, then I'd say you want to work on your ground spacing game. Also, make sure you can L-cancel consistently. While ROB may not SHFFL as much as most other characters, he still has to L-cancel just as much as them, if not more, because of boost aerials. Finally, I'd get comfortable with the concepts of glide tosses and crouch cancels.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Technically, one can do anything out of CC. In ROB's case, other popular CCCs are dtilt and grab, although I've also CC usmashed and fsmashed with success a few times.

Nah ROB isn't boring unless you've stopped innovating. Or play against someone bad.
Meh...IIRC, even you said at one point that you found ROB somewhat uninteresting at times because his motions were too simplistic, straightforward, and, well, robotic. You vocalized those opinions even more once Sm4sh ROB was revealed, and I agreed with you.

Unless you were referring to his ATs and movement options. If that was the case, then yes, between boost, glide toss, and B-reverse tricksies, and some other things, ROB is quite the interesting character. However, when I'm ftilt zoning or stringing together fairs on someone, I just don't feel the hype that I would feel if some other character were throwing out similar moves. Idk... :ohwell:

Edit: Take Zard, for example. All three of his tilts are similar to ROB's in function as spacing moves or combo tools, but Zard's tilts just have that 'Oomph!' when he uses them, whereas ROB's are kind of underwhelming 'meh'. Obviously this is all super-opinionated, so maybe you don't see what I'm trying to say?

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What else can Rob do out of CC? I only now how to dsmash.
You can do any grounded action while CCing, whether or not it will hit just depends on how much endlag they are in

Meh...IIRC, even you said at one point that you found ROB somewhat uninteresting at times because his motions were too simplistic, straightforward, and, well, robotic. You vocalized those opinions even more once Sm4sh ROB was revealed, and I agreed with you.
Yeah I still think his animations are boring but that wasn't what I thought you meant. It's not entirely the same thing for a character to be boring to play as boringly animated. ROB like most characters is fun if you're still finding new ways to handle certain situations, new ways to optimize punishes (I've started doing dthrow->dash->reverse up-b->bair to catch DI away now), new ways to pressure, better ways to capitalize off a read, etc etc. If you're doing the exact same stuff every time you play ROB, of course he'll be boring, any character would.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Welcome! Settle in for the long haul, because ROB can be kinda boring sometimes... :p

If you're coming in from Smash 4, then I'd say you want to work on your ground spacing game. Also, make sure you can L-cancel consistently. While ROB may not SHFFL as much as most other characters, he still has to L-cancel just as much as them, if not more, because of boost aerials. Finally, I'd get comfortable with the concepts of glide tosses and crouch cancels.
I've got my L-cancels down pretty well, just gotta keep practicing. I'm pretty used to Glide Tossing since I mained him in Brawl, just trying to get used to using AGTs and Wavedashing properly.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
ROB's roll is pretty bad, and his aerials OoS are either slow or have bad coverage. As a result, even though his WD isn't that great, you might want to have WD OoS in your repertoire. Jump boost (or simply jumping and seeing if you should also DJ) OoS is actually pretty good, though.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I MM'd Bstuk today (not on-stream) and I severely underestimate fsmash as an edgeguarder. Wavedash back at the ledge --> fsmash does wonders.

Also I noticed he used a lot of Bair OoS on me. Although this was just ROB dittos, do you think this option has lots of uses?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Bair OoS doesn't have much use except against people who are bad at respecting OoS options... or you shield a hard commitment offensively, then respond with bair OoS. It's also the only OoS option ROB has that hits behind him, except usmash which loses to like a million and a half different DIs, and also has less reach. Really, ROB should never be able to deal with anyone behind his shield.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You're forgetting nair, which hits behind him. It's still slow to come out, but it ACs, so I guess it isn't terrible.

I MM'd Bstuk today (not on-stream) and I severely underestimate fsmash as an edgeguarder. Wavedash back at the ledge --> fsmash does wonders.

Also I noticed he used a lot of Bair OoS on me. Although this was just ROB dittos, do you think this option has lots of uses?
Woah, if you MM'd Bstuk, then I think you're in my region (one of them anyway). :surprised:

Yeah, bair shouldn't be hitting you OoS, unless maybe he's surprising you by crossing you up with boost OoS and then bairing you when he's inside/behind you. Even so, you should be able to react to bair or boost bair OoS pretty easily and you shouldn't even be in a position with enough disadvantage for that to actually be a threat.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
probably rob's fastest oos option for behind him is jump->boost backwards -> fair, you can do it pretty quick. also if your opponent isn't super short you can do reverse upb fair, kinda tricky to pull off though.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Boost fair takes 17 frames to hit if you're frame perfect 3 times, it's slower than bair OoS
I also just remembered turnaround up-b, I've never tested to see if that can be done OoS

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Went to my first P:M local today and repped our favorite robot! Got third place. Vids from the stream will be on youtube soon, so I'd love some critique once I get them posted!

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
just found out some crazy ****, if you hold crouch rob has an idle animation that randomly shows up.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROB was just the most obvious example, most characters were like that I think but their shapes weren't so weird so you don't notice it as much

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Even if we become bowser fall speed we probably won't be uthrow->uair-able because of our weight.

Also ROB def needs to be easier to combo, he's easily among the top five hardest characters to punish due to his low fall speed, high weight, and relatively lower aerial commitment.

Last edited:

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
Even if we become bowser fall speed we probably won't be uthrow->uair-able because of our weight.

Also ROB def needs to be easier to combo, he's easily among the top five hardest characters to punish due to his low fall speed, high weight, and relatively lower aerial commitment.
I'm so glad you agree with this. I was actually just browsing the forums looking to see what options I have as a Marth main against this tank of a character. I played a ROB in tournament this weekend and felt like it was very difficult to string together anything. I thought I was just bad but apparently this is a thing that just happens due to his physical properties.

In the meantime though: Any info you can give me regarding ROB's options or potential followups with Marth? Edgeguarding tips maybe? I respect your ROB like crazy so any advice you could give me would go down in my notes for sure.

Edit: I should be specific. OoS options, ways to shield pressure as Marth (if you don't know specifics then just ideas on his weakest points while shielding. I'll figure it out from there), ways to catch him and when I should read an air dash, ways to edgeguard, etc. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Lolz, actually, Marth still gets pretty good combos on us. You definitely shouldn't be ruling your own skill out for not being able to combo ROB, especially not if you're somewhat new to this game (just assuming).

It wouldn't be a true combo perhaps, but we lack a good combo-breaker move to prevent shenanigans.

I actually think we're not that hard to combo because of our large frame, but you really think less extensive combos on us isn't a fair tradeoff for having pretty much no OoS game? :ohwell:

IMO, the hardest characters to punish are Puff, Zelda, Luigi, Samus, Mewtwo, Kirby. All of those characters are extremely floaty and have at least one good combo-breaking move, and all of them except Mewtwo have smaller frames than ROB. If anything, ROB is about as easy to punish as Zard, and even Zard has random good moves to escape combos in some situations.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Curious on what you guys think the Oli match up is. Bubba I know you have some matchup work against Steel. Can't imagine it being more than +1 either of our favor.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Lolz, I usually just beat him with Zard, but Rubba and Dan both beat him with ROB. If you ask me, that MU is definitely in ROB's favor, +1 or maybe even +2. Thing is Olimar thrives on encouraging premature, reckless approaches with his Pikmin Toss so he can stuff said approaches with his good defensive options. The problem is that ROB can easily fight him from full-stage, plus he can reflect Pikmin back at Oli from ranges shorter than that. It also doesn't help that ROB can ignore Pikmin damage a little 'cause of how heavy he is. Tack on that Olimar has the worst recovery in the game and ROB is one of the best gimpers and you have a real problem. There are more things that are making me feel this is a +2 for ROB right now. Olimar is easily juggled and ROB can do it, too. When ROB throws chars at high %'s, he can have trouble following up on good DI, but Olimar's anti-combo tools are so bad that ROB can just follow up with fake combos. Another nuance to this MU is that Olimar has no grab armor, which makes it not uncommon for his 'connected grabs' to be interrupted by well-placed tilts. ROB also has one of the easier times removing Pikmin from himself with AC nair and the ability to just leave the fight and remove it elsewhere if he has to. One of Olimar's strengths is the ability to juggle - pretty much nobody can beat him from above - but that strength is negated when his opponent is floaty and has air-dashes. The only reasons I could potentially see this being a +1 for ROB instead of a +2 are that Olimar has good vertical killing power, and he has decent edgeguarding ability. As long as ROB's recovery is, he can still have trouble against good gimping strategies because it is also extremely linear. If he ends up below the stage line, he has to watch out for things like an fsmash from Oli that's active all the way to the lower blastzone.

Last edited:

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
I've been messing around in the lab with different and more technical options that I haven't thought of, and I'd like to hear what you guys think about these things:

CC U-tilt (It is a bit awkward to preform since you have to hold down the stick then tilt it upward after that. But the thing is that U-tilt comes out very quickly and can start combos, which makes this seems very promising.)

Shield-drop Dair (It is tight to do, but dair could start some combos, or set up for an U-smash, so might be a thing.)

Dair OOS (since you can drift with it a bit, it seems a bit like CF's Stomp OOS, maybe a sneaky OOS option.)

Reverse B-air (It seems like a promising option as a combo tool or a combo finisher.)

Boost OOS (have no clue if this one could be an option, but it might be an escape tool.)

Infinite Boosting, boosting and barely touching the ground to refresh your boosts and immediately boost again. (This seems like a huge thing for ROB. this means that you can literally air dash-dance. A lot of stages have platforms that aids this, the only ones lacking of good platforms are like FD and SV.)

Platform Camp (It might be really good in certain MUs, llike Kirby, Jiggs and IC. Staying on the platforms, lasering and throwing some gyros, and boosting around and at time come down with a boost-nair.)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
CC U-tilt (It is a bit awkward to preform since you have to hold down the stick then tilt it upward after that. But the thing is that U-tilt comes out very quickly and can start combos, which makes this seems very promising.)
yeah it's really good and I've used it a bit, but it's worse than dsmash since dsmash covers more space, comes out almost the same speed, and beats CC/ASDI down in return.

Dair OOS (since you can drift with it a bit, it seems a bit like CF's Stomp OOS, maybe a sneaky OOS option.)
it's not at all like falco's dair OoS- falcon's dair and jumpsquat are both faster, and he has a faster SHFFL. our dair on top of being way slower to come out also has way more endlag since it forces us to stay airborne rather than SHFFL it.

Reverse B-air (It seems like a promising option as a combo tool or a combo finisher.)

Boost OOS (have no clue if this one could be an option, but it might be an escape tool.)
These are good. Lots of ROBs already use these, I know I do. I'm assuming you mean jump->side-b OoS into an aerial (particularly fair) because up-b OoS is useless unless somebody isn't hitting your shield. You could just short hop and do the exact same thing, otherwise.[/quote]

Infinite Boosting, boosting and barely touching the ground to refresh your boosts and immediately boost again. (This seems like a huge thing for ROB. this means that you can literally air dash-dance.
this one isn't that useful. it's not literally air dash dancing because you're committed to a direction for most of the boost without a defensive option like shielding or CC, unlike for dash dancing which are its major selling points.[/quote]

Last edited:
Top Bottom