• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMDB 7: Sudden Shock

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Date: Saturday, February 9th

640 Elm Drive, Madison, WI
Parking lots are everywhere

Prices: $5.00 venue fee (includes pizza!)
$10.00 Melee singles
$10.00 Melee doubles ($5 per person)
$10.00 Project M singles
$10.00 Brawl singles
$10.00 Brawl doubles ($5 per person)
$2.00 Cactuar Stamina Pancake

Payout: 60/30/10 doubles
60/30/10 singles

Schedule:

11:00 AM - Venue opens/registration starts
12:00 PM – Melee doubles
3:00 PM - Brawl singles
4:00 PM – Melee singles
6:00 PM - Project M singles
9:00 PM - Cactuar Stamina Pancake
11:30 PM - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on., life stealing allowed.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers semis, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
-Pausing is banned. Pausing during a match will result in a loss at your opponent’s discretion.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.
- Wobbling is banned.

Stages:

Neutrals 1v1:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks 1v1:
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64

Neutrals 2v2:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Set format:

1. Both players select characters. Double blind can be called if necessary.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Project M Rules (taken from SCYSN5):

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each match:
1. Winner announces TWO(2) stage bans.
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).

Cactuar Stamina Pancake Rules:

Cactuar (by Cactuar)
- Best of 7
- Random stage from everything except Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Brinstar Depths, and Big Blue

Stamina (by Nintendo)
- Stamina Mode

Pancake (by Zjiin)
- Random characters
- Starting with the winner from the last game, each player may decide to "flip" either character, meaning re-random them.
- For the first match, decide randomly who flips first (via rock-paper-scissors).

Rules Clarifications
- If Zelda is randomed, re-random again to determine if you got Zelda or Sheik. The top 2 rows = Zelda, the bottom row = Sheik. This makes it very rare to have sheik, since she destroys low tier characters.
- Select pichu before randoming. This is done to prevent disputes getting the same character twice in a row. If you "accidentally" hit B to repick Pichu, you are stuck with him.
- If you can't tell who won the match, replay the game.
- Wobbling is LEGAL.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Short notice, but come warm up for SCSYN and hang out in Madison (always a good time).

Plus, Cactuar Stamina Pancake. You don't wanna miss that hype.

ORLY

Smash Master
oh you know i'm in like sin for this one

anyone looking to carpool?

EDIT: LOL ace, i suspect you leave wobbling on to troll me

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I like this rule better than replaying: If both players die before GAME! appears, it counts as a double KO and both players get a win.

Lokeloki

Smash Apprentice
you should post brawl. Unless you dont want ppl to show up that is.

Seph_XII

Smash Rookie
Can someone confirm that Brawl is the Apex Ruleset again/if doubles are happening? (It lists a fee for Brawl Doubles, but it's not on the "schedule".)

ORLY

Smash Master
personally i like big blue, but let's be real

the game would be timed out if it went to any of the banned stages.

but in teams, it's definitely an idea. you can't run away and camp for 8 minutes if your teammate's getting double te-- NO. no. stick to it. leave the stages the way they are.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I guess you're probably right. I don't think you can have a timer in stamina mode tho.

everyone cash battle me at this
reg or csp

personally i like big blue, but let's be real

the game would be timed out if it went to any of the banned stages.

but in teams, it's definitely an idea. you can't run away and camp for 8 minutes if your teammate's getting double te-- NO. no. stick to it. leave the stages the way they are.
if you can set the random stages i think you can put a timer on it

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We should probably just make brawl singles and doubles the same times as melee. So:

12:00 - Brawl Teams
4:00 - Brawl Singles

Also this will be streamed here:

http://www.twitch.tv/teammoonwalk

It will most likely be melee teams, then melee singles / finals, then P:M top 3 or 4, and CSP last.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Remember what I said before? Forget that.

I can come. I'll be coming down with YoshQ and possibly Loki.

Looking for friendlies / MM's since there won't be many people coming to this tourney. Let me know if you want to play.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm going to have a surprise for peeps at this tournament.

I recommend out of stater's to show up.

"A true warrior can stare death in the face and lash out rage against it." -Akuma

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
crossfading: deal

I'm going to have a surprise for peeps at this tournament.

I recommend out of stater's to show up.

"A true warrior can stare death in the face and lash out rage against it." -Akuma
sanchaz has unlocked akuma in melee
bottom tier tho

ORLY

Smash Master
if someone's willing to bring a SF4 set-up to this, i'd like to play it!

no cash battles though, i'm such a scrub in that game ;D

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hey guys,

I know I hold no clout in the Melee community and nobody that would come to this tournament but like Frootloop/IL peeps would know me, but if any of you have been keeping up w the EVO ruleset thread at all, there's a big discussion about alternative time settings, as the 8 minute limit is too much for MrWizard. We can debate theoryfighter all we want and we can even try to use predictive models based on existing matches, but nothing beats hard data. Participants, you guys should respond now and see whether or not you're game for it. If they are, LightsOutAce/other TOs, you guys should consider running 3 stock/6 min pools at this event or even 4 stock/7 min if you don't wanna go that far and see how people feel about it + if the length of matches significantly changes =)

I'll be watching this thread for responses.

Top Bottom