• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Imagine a port of Smash Ultimate

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As the title says, this is a thread where we discuss the possibility of a Smash Ultimate port for the upcoming Smash Bros. game that would follow up on Smash Ultimate.

Sakurai's own words : Right now, all I can think about is producing DLC for “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.” After I finish that, though, it’s a total blank slate.

Source: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...te_after_he_finishes_smash_bros_ultimates_dlc

Many speculate the next Smash Bros. game to be a total reboot. And Sakurai stated that having a roster as big as Ultimate would be very hard to realize.

Since Mario Kart also was ported from the Wii U to the Switch, and 8 being one of the most successful Mario Kart games to date, I can easily envision Smash going in a similar direction.

I personally imagine a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate port with all of the DLC Fighters from Fighters Pass 1 and 2, and the new additions being mostly "recycled" characters as Echoes, semi-clones, and everything in between (like Dr.Mario, Young Link and Pichu for example). There could be huge fan requests that haven't had a chance till date, as Isaac, or characters dismissed as Mii costumes, like Travis Touchdown, characters who totally missed the boat, like Rex & Pyra, and I also see it as a possible scenario to add new characters of well established franchises as Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Xenoblade and Sonic.

DLC characters could be influenced by yet another ballot, or be advertisement characters of upcoming games. Or simply the next 3rd party big name who's home company wants their character to join in.

I personally think that a port of Smash Ultimate, with a new Adventure Mode, and overall better One Player modes as Boss Battles and Smash Run, and additional characters would do amazing.

Characters I would include that don't require too much work, and can be build from established characters are;

Dixie Kong; using Diddy as the base character, giving her her iconic Helicopter Spin, and overall a slower, floaty, more "safe" version of Diddy would add a nice contrast to Diddy's more reckless playstyle.

Impa; using Sheik as a base, and being inspired by her Age of Calamity appearance, Impa could be a very combo heavy character, who doesn't deal a lot of damage unless she has her clones running along with her. A kunai as neutral B could function much like a uncharged Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak could be taken from Greninja too, and several of Sheik's attacks could be taken, but be made more unique and distinctive due to being cutting attacks of the kodachi. Like Sheik's dash attack, Forward Air and Up Smash. Final Smash could be exactly like Sheik.

Bandana Dee; a semi-clone of Kirby who takes a few spear based attacks from Byleth.

Tails: a Sonic semi-clone who is a bit slower, and has Dixie Kong's recovery.

Knuckles: a Sonic semi-clone who's a lot slower, heavier, and especially stronger. Would he be able to copy Donkey Kong's Giant Punch? Wouldn't look too weird to me at least.

Slippy Toad; a shorter, but "fatter" Echo of Falco.

Yarn Yoshi; a floaty, light weight Echo of Yoshi.

Toad; using assets of Mario and Peach, Toad could be a lightweight rush down character. Neutral B could be the ice ball maybe? Definitely would borrow the turpins of Peach.

Hero of Time Link; Link exactly how he functioned in Melee with regular bombs and Hookshot grab. Obviously would be an Echo.

Spring Man; obviously based on Min-Min, but more "vanilla".

Dimitri, Edelgard and Claude; could all be added based on the attacks of their respective weapons that Byleth uses in their place. Yeah, works best for Dimitri and Edelgard, but I put Claude there because of respect..could also all borrow some moves of other Fire Emblem characters, as all 3 are able to use swords.

Paper Mario; could use assets of both Mario and Mr. Game & Watch.

Other Mega Man characters, based off Mega Man lol.

Certain Street Fighter characters who are based of Ryu in Street Fighter canon, and of course Chun Lee.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
hm i think a Brawl styled Sequel and a 3d spinoff is more likely than a Reboot
but a port is still likely:

This should be the new stuff:
Mario: Toad (char)
Zelda: Impa (Echo: Shiek) Skull kid (char) Vaati (costume)
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee (char) Dark Matter Swordsman (Semi Echo: Meta-Knight) Galacta-Knight (Echo: Meta knight) Adeline (costume)
Pokemon: Sinnoh Trainer (costume) Sceptile (costume)
F-Zero: Black Shadow (echo)
Animal Crossing: Tomnook (semi Echo villager)
Sonic: Eggman (costume and At) Tails (semi,Semi Echo Sonic)
Pacman: Ms Pacman (alt for Pacman)
Dk: Dixie (semi semi echo Dk and Diddy)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
here's what I would want for additional content

Characters:
assuming they have a lower budget, no new companies would be contracted
Captain Toad (Newcomer)
Dixie Kong (Newcomer that reuses some assets, the Jigglypuff to Diddy's Kirby)
Impa (Newcomer)
Bandana Dee (Newcomer)
Alph (Echo Fighter)
Octoling (Echo Fighter)
Ring Fit Trainee (Newcomer)
Shadow (Semi-Clone)
Ms. Pac-Man (Echo Fighter)
Monster Hunter (Newcomer)

Stages:
Pac-Maze
Wooly World
Rainbow Road
Pokefloats 2
Chemical Plant
Bowser's Castle

Modes:
A brand new Supspace style Story Mode with cutscenes as well as actual game locations.
Smash Run

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'd love an ultimate port. I don't think it's fair to do another poll when many people didn't get their character in from the last poll. (Rare and monkey fans got k rool and Banjo) its too soon for Dixie imo. But I'd be down for any newcomer.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, so for new characters I was thinking 8 unique newcomers and 3 echoes to make a total of 100 playable characters (90 non-Echoes to 10 Echoes).
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #85. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Dr. Eggman
  • #89. Chun-Li
  • #90. Master Chief
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #38ε. Shadow
  • #40ε. Alph
  1. Waluigi Pinball
  2. Planet ZDR
  3. Waddle Dee Town
  4. Ascension Grounds
  5. Dr. Eggman’s Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park
  6. Ring of Pride
  7. Blood Gulch
  8. Battlefield (Melee)
  9. Final Destination (Melee)
  10. All stages from previous games that originally missed SSBU
  • Smash Run
  • Mode Builder
    • Classic Routes
    • Target Test
  • Balance changes
  • New songs, Spirits and Assist Trophies for franchises that didn’t originally have any
  • DLC characters and DX newcomers are integrated into Spirit Battles and Classic Mode wherever they weren’t before

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Okay, so for new characters I was thinking 8 unique newcomers and 3 echoes to make a total of 100 playable characters (90 non-Echoes to 10 Echoes).
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Dr. Eggman
  • #89. Chun-Li
  • #90. Master Chief
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #38ε. Shadow
  • #40ε. Alph
  1. Waluigi Pinball
  2. Planet ZDR
  3. Waddle Dee Town
  4. Ascension Grounds
  5. Dr. Eggman’s Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park
  6. Ring of Pride
  7. Blood Gulch
  8. Battlefield (Melee)
  9. Final Destination (Melee)
  10. All stages from previous games that originally missed SSBU
  • Smash Run
  • Mode Builder
    • Classic Routes
    • Target Test
  • Balance changes
  • New songs, Spirits and Assist Trophies for franchises that didn’t originally have any
  • DLC characters and DX newcomers are integrated into Spirit Battles and Classic Mode wherever they weren’t before
The fact you dindt include impa as a echo makes me sad!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Decided to make a 25th anniversary edition:
Let's say Nintendo's next console came out in, say, 2024, and Smash Ultimate got a rerelease (with all the DLC on the cartridge or disc) to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary. What new content would you add to the rerelease? For me:

• #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Dr. Eggman
  • #89. Crash Bandicoot
  • #90. Spyro the Dragon
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #82ε. Riku
Because this would even out to exactly 100 fighters (counting Echoes and transformations as separate characters), I'd make the subtitle of this rerelease The Top 100
  • New stages
    • Flower Kingdom (Super Mario Bros. Wonder)
    • Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
    • Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart)
    • Great Sky Island (Tears of the Kingdom)
    • Planet ZDR (Metroid Dread)
    • Waddle Dee Town (Kirby and the Forgotten Land)
    • Ascension Grounds (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
    • Chemical Plant Zone (Sonic 2)
    • N. Sanity Beach (Crash Bandicoot)
    • Autumn Plains (Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage)
  • Previous stages
    • Planet Zebes (64)
    • Sector Z (64)
    • Meta Crystal (64)
    • Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
    • Mute City (Melee)
    • Icicle Mountain (Melee; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Poké Floats (Melee; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Flat Zone (Melee)
    • Rumble Falls (Brawl; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Pictochat (Brawl)
    • Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
    • Rainbow Road (3DS)
    • Pac-Maze (3DS)
    • Jungle Hijinx (Wii U; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Pyrosphere (Wii U; Ridley's previous role as a stage boss is taken by Mecha Ridley)
    • Woolly World (Wii U)
    • Orbital Gate Assault (Wii U)
  • You can now switch between different versions of Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination based on the appearances in 64, Melee, Brawl, and for Wii U
  • Each stage from each game is organized into six folders
    • Normal (denotes the new stages in Ultimate, both the original, its DLC and the rerelease)
    • Melee
    • Brawl
    • for 3DS / Wii U
    • Custom
New Modes
  • Group
    • Coin Smash
  • Games & More
    • Arcade
      • Story Mode (each fighter has a predetermined route)
      • Classic Mode (branching paths where you get three options)
      • All-Star Mode (fight opponents by game)
    • Smash Run
    • Stadium
      • Mob Smash
        • Century Smash (fight 100 opponents back-to-back; you can choose to fight either Mii Fighters or every playable character in the game)
        • Rival Smash (two players pick different characters to defeat as many opponents as possible)
      • Home-Run Contest
      • Boss Battles
    • Creative Corner
      • Mii Fighters
      • Stage Builder
      • Mode Builder (create your own Target Test and Story Mode route and share them online)
  • World of Light
    • New Spirits and sub-areas based on the franchises represented
    • Every Spirit who didn't have a Spirit Battle in the original game now gets a Spirit Battle in this rerelease
    • New bosses (who would also appear in Classic and Story Mode)
      • Mega Rayquaza (Light Realm)
      • Duon (Dark Realm)
      • Dr. Eggman (Light Realm)
      • Grunty (Dark Realm)
      • Master Core (Classic Mode)
      • Tabuu (secret boss)
  • Assuming the next system's online capabilities are vastly improved, there would also be rollback netcode for online play
  • New music relative The Top 100's new content would be added to the game

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A port of SSBU would be cool, but I want to see balance changes as well as new content - less "MK8 to MK8 Deluxe" and more "Second Impact to Third Strike". I want RNG mechanics completely reworked or thrown out altogether, I want Kirby to have increased airspeed, I want Steve and Kazuya to receive nerfs that could make them carry less (and also not break the game in Steve's case), I want Mythra to maybe not have +10 frames on every move, I want Little Mac to be given a half-decent air game, and I want superheavies to become viable (not counting Bowser, he's perfect as is). Some kind of anti-zoning tool would be cool as well, seeing as many of people's issues with Ultimate competitive derive from zoners.

As far as content goes, we need more materials in Stage Builder, some legacy items (where is the fan????) and a more traditional Classic Mode option. IDC about characters, I'd decide if I find them cool or not based on the trailers.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, an enhances port of Ultimate is my preferred option. I don't think it's likely but I'd love it.
I ironically this is the most likely option , ( SSBU Deluxe ) , in my humble opinion. Not many legacy characters really need to be reworked

and I want superheavies to become viable (not counting Bowser, he's perfect as is). Some kind of anti-zoning tool would be cool as well, seeing as many of people's issues with Ultimate competitive derive from zoners.
Lol what are you talking about ? zoners are trash in this game now.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I think if Ultimate did get an enhanced port, 11 new fighters (8 unique, three Echoes) to make an even total of 100 fighters should be the upper limit no matter what and the focus should go more towards more sufficient single player content as well as balance changes and (hopefully) a better online experience. I also don't want to see extra DLC for this hypothetical enhanced port.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think if Ultimate did get an enhanced port, 11 new fighters (8 unique, three Echoes) to make an even total of 100 fighters should be the upper limit no matter what and the focus should go more towards more sufficient single player content as well as balance changes and (hopefully) a better online experience. I also don't want to see extra DLC for this hypothetical enhanced port.
I had thought of this before too. Except i sort of imagined the unique & echo fighter counts being reversed. Also wouldnt mind seeing them maybe do some dlc (i guess in this case matching the echo fighter count) to maybe hit 100 unique fighters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom