• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm wondering about King K. Rool's alt costumes

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I love King K. Rool with all my heart. But there's one thing missing, one thing he's famous for:

His Kostumes.

Now, that's just a minor nitpick of mine. But, we HAVE seen Kaptain's hat for the Blunderbuss, and Roolenstein's jetpack for what I assume is his Up Special.

I wonder if.... hmmm. What if he kept his crown on his other alts, but actually had Kaptain's Coat and Roolenstein's getup, and what about DK64 Krusha K. Rool? It would be weird for the first 2, but the respective moves would komplete the ensemble!

I'd like to hear your thoughts! ^^

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I actually can see him just hammerspacing his Crown, so his other personas technically should not be a problem :)

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Interesting idea.

I wouldn't complain TOO much if his alt personas aren't there. It'd just feel like a missed opportunity. I'm happy as hell Rool's in, so right now I'm in no position to *****. But still, he was known for that. It'd be like Ganondorf in Melee till Smash4. No sword/magic.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
But still, he was known for that. It'd be like Ganondorf in Melee till Smash4. No sword/magic.
Speaking as someone who was honestly mostly okay with Ganondorf in those games, no.

K. Rool at least has a fully unique moveset that perfectly captures his character. Ganondorf is still a clone, with many moves still being shared with Captain Falcon.

While Ganondorf's character is captured very well with his animations and his playstyle feels very fitting, the fact remains that if you're looking at how they're portrayed then K. Rool definitely got the far better end of the deal than Ganon did.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm kind of disappointed with what we've seen because it just seems to change his skin color.

Not even his cape

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
While Ganondorf's character is captured very well with his animations and his playstyle feels very fitting, the fact remains that if you're looking at how they're portrayed then K. Rool definitely got the far better end of the deal than Ganon did.
Oh, for sure. I'm not arguing the fact that K. Rool got treated far better. Speaks to how he listens to his fans, he did it real well. It just blows my mind how it's taken this long for Dorf to start to get slowly de-cloned (smash attacks).

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we would have seen them in either the trailer or the website images if he truly did have an alt costume. I suppose one is still possible, but at least we got the pirate hat for his blunderbuss attack.

Given DK64 is mainly where I know the King from (beat DKC1, got far in DKC2 but never to the final boss, missed out on DKC3), I'm personally completely fine with that. I'm good with skin color changes, looks like each one could represent a different type of Kremling (Krusha and Klump basically, also possibly Kritter, Klaptrap, Kasplat, etc.)

And yeah, K. Rool has one of the most faithful movesets of any character. The blunderbuss, crown, and jetpack specials are all basically what people wanted/expected for his moveset anyway. The only curveball in terms of special moves is the belly counter and DK64 Final Smash, both of which are welcome additions. Far better than what Ganondorf got, although he's gotten a bit more unique with each installment.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
It just blows my mind how it's taken this long for Dorf to start to get slowly de-cloned (smash attacks).
I don't think Sakurai wants to give characters major overhauls, in fear of "betraying" fans who like the characters as is. Which honestly, I can respect.

My problem is more that he was a clone to begin with, rather than the pace they've decloned him and how long it took him to get the sword. Hopefully in that "reboot" game that Sakurai's hinted at, Ganondorf will get the unique moveset he deserves.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I LOVE K. Rool's Final Smash. DK64 is a great game, even though the gameplay and engine are completely based on Mario 64. It's my favourite collectathon of all time.

Yeah, I'd be happy anyway if all we got is the hat / jetpack. At least they're acknowledged.

ChozoRidley

Smash Rookie
When I was a kid I didn't realise King K Rool, Captain K Rool and Baron K Roolenstein were the same character in disguise, so when I read in DK64's manual that King K Rool had "dropped the silly disguises" (or something to that effect) my mind was blown!

It would have been cool if all his alternate personas were alt costumes in Ultimate, but since the crown is part of his moveset there's no way that could happen now. Not that I'm complaining, though - it's amazing that he's made it into the game at all. I would have thought his chances had faded given he didn't show up in either of the Donkey Kong Returns games and had been absent for so long.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think Sakurai wants to give characters major overhauls, in fear of "betraying" fans who like the characters as is. Which honestly, I can respect.

My problem is more that he was a clone to begin with, rather than the pace they've decloned him and how long it took him to get the sword. Hopefully in that "reboot" game that Sakurai's hinted at, Ganondorf will get the unique moveset he deserves.
As a guy who really loves Ganondorf, yeah, I've been all over on the "Ganondorf got shot in the foot by being a clone" thing. Even now he's still more like Falcon than what he should be.

As for costumes, well, its still possible we've got Kaptain's coat. So far we've only seen two recolors, it IS odd that they're hiding the rest right now. I don't want to get my hopes up, though. However, I think if they do it, he'll wear the krown by default and only give him the coat as part of the costume.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
When I was a kid I didn't realise King K Rool, Captain K Rool and Baron K Roolenstein were the same character in disguise, so when I read in DK64's manual that King K Rool had "dropped the silly disguises" (or something to that effect) my mind was blown!

It would have been cool if all his alternate personas were alt costumes in Ultimate, but since the crown is part of his moveset there's no way that could happen now. Not that I'm complaining, though - it's amazing that he's made it into the game at all. I would have thought his chances had faded given he didn't show up in either of the Donkey Kong Returns games and had been absent for so long.
He pulls the blunderbuss and kaptain's hat out of hammerspace when using the blunderbuss, so there's no reason he can't pull the krown out of hammerspace if he's wearing an alt costume.

That said, I don't really expect any alt costumes at this point, and frankly I don't mind at all. His DKC1 outfit has always been my favorite, and I think the fact that he literally pulls out and puts on a pirate hat just to fire his blunderbuss is hilarious and perfectly captures his signature brand of humor.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We flat out saw the full Kaptain outfit, and I dont think it was just the blunderbuss ... it looked like a Kostume to me.
The only Kostume that wouldnt work, is the boxer, as he has no hat to throw for that.
But I think the hit box of the hat may mean we wouldnt get the Pharaoh.

EDIT: every reply on this thread has said that he pulls out his Kaptain hat for the blunderbuss. I just watched the video five more times in that section... and no, he definitely is not seen pulling on or off the hat. It is there for the entire blunderbuss section. We do not see him pull it out just for the attack.
My assumption from the beginning has been that it is the outfit.
That said, it is still the kape, and not the Kaptain robe.

I LOVE K. Rool's Final Smash. DK64 is a great game, even though the gameplay and engine are completely based on Mario 64. It's my favourite collectathon of all time.
I did not know the engine was the same as Mario. I think that makes sense and must be one reason why I LOVED the game. It felt like it was a sequel. So did Yoshi's Story.

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
We flat out saw the full Kaptain outfit, and I dont think it was just the blunderbuss ... it looked like a Kostume to me.
The only Kostume that wouldnt work, is the boxer, as he has no hat to throw for that.
But I think the hit box of the hat may mean we wouldnt get the Pharaoh.

EDIT: every reply on this thread has said that he pulls out his Kaptain hat for the blunderbuss. I just watched the video five more times in that section... and no, he definitely is not seen pulling on or off the hat. It is there for the entire blunderbuss section. We do not see him pull it out just for the attack.
My assumption from the beginning has been that it is the outfit.
That said, it is still the kape, and not the Kaptain robe.
If you watch his fighter video on the Smash Bros website (aka, the video in his blog entry), you can see him take off the hat as he puts away the blunderbuss after shooting King DeDeDe on Mario Galaxy. (Look around the 0:07-0:08 second mark; it's very fast, but if you slow it down you can clearly see the hat replaced with the crown once the blunderbuss is gone.)

EDIT: Video added for convenience.

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Either way, I don't really care at the moment. I'm just psyched to have him in the roster. It's just a nitpick.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you watch his fighter video on the Smash Bros website (aka, the video in his blog entry), you can see him take off the hat as he puts away the blunderbuss after shooting King DeDeDe on Mario Galaxy. (Look around the 0:07-0:08 second mark; it's very fast, but if you slow it down you can clearly see the hat replaced with the crown once the blunderbuss is gone.)
The video in his blog works for you? I have had to youtube his video for days. His is literally the only one that will not play, and the error code on my end indicates it is the website.
Odd...

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
The video in his blog works for you? I have had to youtube his video for days. His is literally the only one that will not play, and the error code on my end indicates it is the website.
Odd...
Yep, it works fine for me. Maybe try clearing your cache or something?

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Since we didn't see them during the reveal trailer the way we did with Bowser Jr. (aside from the Kaptain one), I'm not really getting my hopes up for the kostumes. I guess it's possible they're still working on the models though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah I just checked. The hat is gone after he puts the blunderbuss away.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Perhaps, because of the krown throw, they separated the costume by pieces. The headpieces may change by attack...but the coats can be changed by pressing a taunt.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's... what? That doesn't even make sense. Changing the outfit based on taunt makes no sense. If K. Rool has the outfits, they're as full-fledged costumes.

And IMO, the fact that we haven't seen more than three colors for K. Rool yet I think makes it possible they are hiding them for a later reveal.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea I had last night.
Kaptain K. Rool as an echo. Assuming he only has his Kannonballs as K. Rool, Kaptain can use the spiked variants and the gases from his boss fight along with the blunderbuss charge for either a recovery or even his run animation in comparison to K. Rool's dash. Yah? No? Maybe so? I still think we'll get at least one costume if Mario's anything to go by.

cybersai

Smash Ace
His colors are likely all going to be based on all the different color Kremlings in the series, so that's good enough.

D

Deleted member

He has the Kaptain, outfit, the different, Pink, blue colors to represent Krusha, and Klump, I guess, that's some of, the costumes. Like them all.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I‘d love to see a color scheme referencing Kudgel or Kaboing.

Also, in case Baron and Kaptain won’t be added, a brown and white palette probably will be

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pleased by the Kremling color palettes. Maybe a brown one for Skurvy?

Hey...weirder things have happened.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

EDIT: Video added for convenience.
Ah yeah I see it. No chance of having the Kaptain K.Rool as a full costume then.

Which shouldn't even be a problem, all of the alter egos are already represented anyway. Even DK64's K.Rool with the boxing gloves and all.

No reason to complain, he's finally IN!!!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I still believe Kaptain K Rool can happen, the Blunderbuss being my main argument. Why though?

Well, because I feel that Kirby‘s Hat for K. Rool will be the Pirate one (which is why K Rool puts it on during the attack) rather than a crown, for that extra distinctability. Otherwise, there‘d be a lot of crowns in Kirby‘s wardrobe (peach, daisy, Rosa...)

So, how does that help the Kaptain‘s case?
Well, because of that distinctive look, of course!

„But we would have seen the costume already by now“
Maybe, but not certainly.
We haven’t gotten a true presentation of the Karakter, yet, so maybe the Koat will be shown off later, in the next direct

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I think Kirby's hat will be the Mii Fighter costume hat.
^ I can 100% see this happen. Maybe with a texture update too?

Eh, I'm not so concerned about alts anymore. I'm just thanking my lucky stars K. Rool is finallt getting his Finest Hour.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But what about his brother, Kaptain K. Rool?! Must he suffer so?

(Brawl translation error joke)

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm just so appreciative that I can't help but let that slip. I'm SO happy K. Rool is back from the dead.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's like my only complaint actually

He gets his pirate hat for normal special but why come he doesn't get the jacket as well

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Is there a chance that we can see King K. Rool's costumes at Gamescom this week? I noticed when I played the game at E3 that the demo was labeled as the "6/2018" build, so maybe there will be a slightly revised demo with Simon and King K. Rool included as they may want feedback on both newcomers.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not entirely related but what alt colors is blue and light purple K Rool based off of? I assume Kremnglings But is there an official consensus about that?

Top Bottom