• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm VERY new and using a smashbox with Marth. I need some help/tips.

DavFree

Smash Rookie
Hello! I started playing Melee in late July on netplay. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and all fighting games in general. But almost all controllers give me severe wrist pains, with the game cube controller I may aswell have been holding fire in my hands for any session longer than 10 minutes. Due to this I got a smashbox for Melee and future games I could use it with.
However I have some difficulty with the more precise movements which gives me trouble with chaingrabbing and stoppping a dash to attack with a move that isn't a dash attack. My soloution to this has been to just wavedash towards them but I can't exactly be precise with it. Plus I can't chaingrab worth a ****. I guess I could try to learn pivots but it seems difficult as hell to get the timing down. The only solutions I see would be practicing pivots or maybe dash into standing still wavedash to stop my momentum? I honestly wouldn't know since i'm so new.

Edit: I also have a physical set up with a crt from when I was a kid If that is useful at all. :p

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I don't know why the chaingrabs would be harder on the smashbox, in fact I think they might be a bit easier to practice using those buttons, since you don't have to move a stick. It all comes down to timing and practice and I think you might just have to give it a bit more time.

Regarding precise movement , that takes a lot of time and training regardless of whether you are using a regular controller or a different device. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a lot of control of their character that has played for less than 1 or 2 years, usually much more. Things might be more difficult with the smashbox, I wouldn't know.
From what I've seen, people definitely are able to have precise dashdances, aerial drift, platform movement, etc. with the smashbox, so I think you just need to work on it some more. Give it time and practice everyday.

thomasgdl1

Smash Rookie
NNID
thomasgdl
3DS FC
0103-9737-0851
Just practice a bunch of whatever you're struggling with, especially whatever is more simple. Once you get more basic inputs down with smashbox you can start doing more complex stuff and using modifiers to shorten wavedashes for more precise ones. (I play smashbox marth too btw)

Top Bottom