• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm thinking about maining Lucas... Things I should know?

Pάρί

Smash Apprentice
I deciding a main in PM and Lucas looks interesting! Is this character technical? Does he have character specific tech? Just things I should know how to do if Im going to main him?

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
very technical, djc which is unique to a couple chars also magnet functions similarly to shine but is pretty different from foxes at the same time, pkf is good but awful at the same time lol

Pάρί

Smash Apprentice
very technical, djc which is unique to a couple chars also magnet functions similarly to shine but is pretty different from foxes at the same time, pkf is good but awful at the same time lol
Where do i go to learn this tech? Or learn how to play the character in general? Can you help me lol

20PK

Smash Apprentice
Read around the forums, the stickied tutorial from delta, etc. Here's a DJC tech video (3.0 era but still relevant).
DJCs is really the most character specific thing Lucas has in his kit, but also magnets (down-b). So you can jump cancel magnets in the air into aerials and do all kinds of fun stuff. That's about all the super specific Lucas tech, of course knowing how to use any characters is 'character specific' in a way. There's also DJC PKFs, in 3.6 these have been nerfed a little but still worth doing. If you're a new player work on L-Cancelling all your aerials, waveadshing, etc. tech-wise before you start doing DJC tech. Since you spend your double jump on DJCs you really just want to do it to extend combos or throw out a move really quickly, so don't DJC without some purpose e.g. I sometimes get ****ed over by DJC PKFing close to the ledge. Moreover just learn the basics of spacing/how to win neutral and punish properly/shield grabbing/spotdodging/DI is super important etc. if you're new to smash overall. If coming from Melee then most of that would carry over.
Lucas is a very rushdown character, so it can be hard concentrating on your neutral game etc. sometimes.
IMO try out all the characters and pick which one you feel the most attracted to. There's way more Ness players than Lucas atm IMO so it's always good to have more.
Watch some 3.5 Lucas videos to get an idea of what the character can do (3.6 is still new af, and 3.02/3.0 lucas we hella different)

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
I try to explain more of the DJC stuff in my guide. I'm still doing my best to make it user friendly so bear with me T_T Check it out under the stickies. It should give you a better understanding of the character overall.

==

For now, know that being patient in neutral (and in general) is a blessing. Lucas has good pokes, but tiny range. Also understand the knockback of his moves to better realize how to combo better. Look over the bread n butter combos I talk about and start there. Once you can do the basics, then you can begin to create your own custom combos. Use as little dash attack as possible and be careful with PKF. They're good situationally, but against opponents who are good with shielding can easily punish you for throwing out those moves recklessly. Last thing I can say is ALWAYS JUMP CANCEL GRABS. His pivot grab is also good, but NEVER dash grab. It's the worst grab coming out 1 frame slower than JC grab and gives your opponent the most free punish opportunities.

==

Feel free to post any other questions you still have and message me any time you want to know something. I'm almost always available to discuss Lucas stuff and excited to see new people picking him up. Happy playing!!

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Something useful to note is that Lucas got overly nerfed (he needed a nerf, but that was a bit much. In my opinion at least) from 3.02 to 3.5/ 3.6, so he's not all that effective anymore unless you really REALLY get technical and know what you're doing.

D e l t a

Something useful to note is that Lucas got overly nerfed (he needed a nerf, but that was a bit much. In my opinion at least) from 3.02 to 3.5/ 3.6, so he's not all that effective anymore unless you really REALLY get technical and know what you're doing.
He doesn't exactly require high amounts of tech, simply put, there are a number of tech options that he can perform at a given time. Similar to Fox / Falco (not wolf bc that character requires more button presses). Fox & Falco can shoot lasers all day equivalent to Lucas' PKF. Likewise, a Lucas player can be aggressive and use less moves, but with greater accuracy & precison while taking stocks more efficiently.

Only major weaknesses & shortcomings of Lucas are his range & lack of high priority moves / lasting hitboxes. His fall speed & weight also lead to getting combo'd hard.

Scraket

Smash Ace
overly nerfed? nah he's still good af

SprayPaint

Smash Rookie
I deciding a main in PM and Lucas looks interesting! Is this character technical? Does he have character specific tech? Just things I should know how to do if Im going to main him?
I was thinking about maining Lucas in every game he is in. In P:M you want to do 3 things. 1. Charge your ultimate smash. (Standard B) 2. Do a lot of grabbing and down throwing. 3. Neutral Air is your best friend.

D e l t a

I was thinking about maining Lucas in every game he is in. In P:M you want to do 3 things. 1. Charge your ultimate smash. (Standard B) 2. Do a lot of grabbing and down throwing. 3. Neutral Air is your best friend.
Now if you want to become a top level Lucas, you'll want to be able to 1. Understand when and how to poke with PKF, magnet, and aerials in neutral 2. Have a solid combo game (and not rely on 1 or 2 moves) 3. Nair is love, Nair is life.

Top Bottom