• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm taking too much damage and cant seem to avoid attacks or predict my opponent.

Kyber

Smash Rookie
Im practicing for Smash Ultimate and Ive never been a good or even a decent player. Ive been looking up topics and praxtacing things like DI and Teching but Im still awful. Ive discovered that my problem comes from taking damage and not avoiding attacks but Im stuck and need help.

D

Deleted member

Well, being unpredictable yourself is one way at getting better. Mixing up your playstyle is very important as good players will catch on quickly. If you roll to much, the player will soon catch on and punish those rolls. if you shield to much, the player will go for grabs more. You know what I mean?

Also, mixing up the way you get back on stage is important as well. Doing it the same way will also put you in a bad spot.

Di is kind of an advanced topic tbh so I wouldn't really focus specifically on that right now. Once you get the more basic stuff out of the way, then you can work on that more then.

And as far as teching, just make it muscle memory to tech. If you are in falling animation towards the ground, just make it a habit to tech as you are close to the ground. Remember also, you can tech three different ways. Right, Left, or in the same spot.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Fighting games, to me, always relied on 3 things to use to beat your opponent. Read the bold yellow for TDRs.

Unpredictability. This comes with creativity and sometimes, just outright luck. This is why fighting games are my favorite type of games because of the sense of anything can happen. Sure this case is true for other games, but in a fighting game it is just you against the other guy. This is also why sometimes people who just start button mashing can beat people that know how to play the game, they are just too unpredictable. To put this into smash perspective, like what the post above me says, be unpredictable in your recoveries and in your way of approaching your enemy.

Game Knowledge. This one just comes in time. You learn the fundamentals and build on that. Know what moves punish certain other moves, whats safe, whats the best option in this situation, how to bait your opponent, which combos are optimal, etc. If this is your problem, I suggest sticking to one character only (preferably not a bottom of the barrel character, but honestly it's best to pick whoever you enjoy) This well help you learn the match-ups specific to that one character which then you will use that information when you switch on over to other characters. To put this into smash perspective, if you were, say, a Sheik main and you were up against a Little Mac player, you would know from game knowledge alone how favorable the match-up is for you and how to win the game, but your opponent would also know this and will have his/her own plan to prevent them from losing.

Reading your Opponent. Fighting games are like a game of chess (yes I know that analogy has been used a thousand times) It's just you against another guy. It isn't a MOBA or shooter where you have teammates or a Battle Royale where a lot of RNG can decide your fate (unless you are getting 9'd accross the board against a Game N' Watch lul) You have to be able to learn your opponent's playstyle and adjust accordingly. You can try and make a hard read with a great reward if you're right but if you're screwed. This is all up to you and how you assess the situation. To put it into smash perspective, you know for a fact that the Ness player is looking for a back throw to kill you, so you read his grab attempt and punish him with a well spaced smash attack for the win.

Now to bring this all in full circle: if you are Unpredictable, you have the edge on someone who is solely trying to Read you. If you are Reading your Opponent, you have the upper hand against someone who is relying on their Game Knowledge to win. And if you have Game Knowledge, you will know how to handle some of the random situations Unpredictable players put you in. It's all a balance. It's how I see most fighting games. Anyways, I kind of went on a tangent here and wrote maybe a little too much lol. Hope this helps out someone.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Unpredictability, like everyone else said, is key to playing this game effectively. Since you’re new, yeah you’re going to get your ass beat a lot, it that’s the cumbersome joy of it: You’re learning.

Practice the basics, learn your movement options, and learn to walk. You’ll improve.

Top Bottom