• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm strong to the finich, 'cause I eats me spinach" - Popeye the Sailor Support Thread

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Spinach: Vegetable Made Famous by Popeye // Missouri Environment and Garden  News Article // Integrated Pest Management, University of Missouri

Who is Popeye?
Popeye the Sailor is a character introduced in the comic strip Thimble Theatre in 1929. The comic strips contained adventure/humor stories that eventually focused more on Popeye and his adventures. He became one of the newspaper's most popular characters and eventually got his own cartoons. Several of the cartoons are now owned by Warner Bros and have consistently been aired for close to a century now. Known for his wacky toonforce powers and being the mascot of spinach, Popeye has become a staple in pop culture. This sailor is strong and with the power of spinach he defends his girlfriend and the honor of his favorite vegetable.

Moveset Potential
Popeye is a brawler. He's strong enough to send enemies into space by rotating his arms like a propellor and delivering a powerful punch. He's also a user of the toonforce. He can lift heavy objects with ease, defy gravity, be in multiple places at the same time, and summon spinach from thin air to rejuvenate his strength. No doubt he would have a bunch of tricks and shenanigans up his sleeve. His playstyle would have him be a heavy hitter with some tools to surprise his enemies.

Why should Popeye be in MultiVersus?
Popeye is one of the most iconic cartoon characters of all time. He has inspired generations of kids to eat their spinach, as well as make them laugh with his cartoon antics. Popeye would also be a rep for Warner Bros. comic strips and is a prevalent name in that category. Plus we need him to fight Bug Bunny to decide who is the stronger toonforce rep.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Popeye would be great, and I can only assume the rights wouldn't be expensive, for better or worse. Plus Bugs and Popeye in the same game also sounds good.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Popeye would be great, and I can only assume the rights wouldn't be expensive, for better or worse. Plus Bugs and Popeye in the same game also sounds good.
I've seen Popeye at a concert in between songs. I'd imagine it would be easy to get too based on that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Popeye is definitely my #1 nonconfirmed fighter.
Sign my ass up!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Don’t build up my hope here.

If he gets in, I hope he’s not portrayed as a pushover who relies on spinach to actually get KOs like in his white outfit shorts and more like he can clearly hold his own with the spinach being a last resort/trump card like his original version. Basically less like Joker and more like Terry/Kazuya.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Isn't the old school popeye arcade game and donkey kong related?
Edit: He's kinda iconic to nintendo too

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

( A ) | swings arm

+

( A ) | swings other swing arm

+

( A ) | arms swing around and around clobbering style with cartoony fading motion | last hit pushes foe back somewhat

( up tilt A ) | does a spin jump upper cut | pretty powerful slow-motion-esque knockback even at lower percentage if can imagine

( side smash A ) | throws a chain-infused anchor

more to come. haha.

this also.

charge tilt a | charges arm and when oppenent comes into contact with it they are sort of flinged | has interesting collosion hitboxes as if a shield sometimes

some of this is from the cartoon.

i will be updating haha. fun for me. bye.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

( A )

— swings arm

+

( A )

— swings other swing arm

+

( A )

— arms swing around and around clobbering style with cartoony fading motion

— last hit pushes foe back somewhat

—●—●—

( up tilt A )

— does a spin jump upper cut

— pretty powerful slow-motion-esque knockback even at lower percentage if can imagine

—●—●—

( side smash A )

— throws a chain-infused anchor

—●—●—

( charge tilt a )

— charges arm and when opponent comes into contact with it they are sort of flinged

— has interesting collosion hitboxes as if a shield sometimes

— 2:33 - 2:41 |

will be updating this. haha. as days go by. gb.

1 | attack / tilt / down / ( a ) | double leg sweep

2 | attack / run | akin to "footballer character" run from "mario" games | has a somewhat strong attack power | if attack is overpowered popeye will do a clunk sound effect backward with a "AUoohh!". sounds like "ow". "ahh. uoh." and fly backward onto his head with a clunk sound effect as his head hits ground | so as to resemble when he gets beahten up in a moment in the cartoon| his body becomes a projectile

down smash a | brick build | brick can be smashed into projectiles that fly very far

side smash a | talks mess while whirling | whirlwind waist level to chest level punch

up smash | whirlwind legs

up b | propeller

running animation

trivia | if popey lands a blow onto brick wall with his side smash. his side smash has almost no sound. probably just a dramatized bassy fist air punch. and when the hit connects. his attack stops midway. and so does the brncks as they are bending outward already from punch. as if the sound of dominoes kind of squarely being put onto each other flat but this way and that way. and sounds as if just 2. or 2 giant checkers? brick like sound. or just as if bricks do same. and the bricks go flying.

will be editing. lol.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144

( A )

— swings arm

+

( A )

— swings other swing arm

+

( A )

— arms swing around and around clobbering style with cartoony fading motion

— last hit pushes foe back somewhat

—●—●—

( up tilt A )

— does a spin jump upper cut

— pretty powerful slow-motion-esque knockback even at lower percentage if can imagine

—●—●—

( side smash A )

— throws a chain-infused anchor

—●—●—

( charge tilt a )

— charges arm and when opponent comes into contact with it they are sort of flinged

— has interesting collosion hitboxes as if a shield sometimes

— 2:33 - 2:41 |

will be updating this. haha. as days go by. gb.

◇​
right next to report there is an edit button. Double and triple posting is against the rules

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Made a moveset for Popeye too

Neutral Attack
Ground: THE OL’ TWISKER PUNCH - Popeye twists up his fist and CHARGES a powerful multi-hit drill punch that BREAKS ARMOR.
Air: “BOFF” AND “WHAM” - A counter-clockwise hook punch. Input again for a second clockwise hook.

Side Attack
Ground: I SOCK YA - a combo of punches followed by a quick uppercut
Air: FIXING THE GUARDS - Popeye performs a clap with his fists.

Up Attack
Ground: TOOT TOOT - Popeye toots his pipe twice with the smoke knocking opponents into the air. CHARGE for Popeye to shoot a small pillar of fire out of his pipe. You can move side to side during the attack
Air: TWO HEADED SLAP - an upwards slap, CHARGE to perform two slaps

Down Attack
Ground: RISK MY “FISK” - a jumping ground punch. CHARGE to leap further across the map.
Air: PALOOKA POUNCE - A two footed stomp that can be CHARGED.

Neutral Special

Ground: YOUR ONE LIFESAVER/40 LICKS - Popeye throws out a life preserver PROJECTILE attached to a rope that pulls in enemies and allies. COOLDOWN applies. In SPINACH MODE, he twirls around with both fists out.
Air: Same as ground.

Side Special
Ground
: STRONG TO THE “FINICH”/JAW OF IRON - Popeye will grab a nearby enemy or HEAVY PROJECTILE. The enemy is STUNNED, and Popeye can carry them across the map. Popeye can throw them with the same input or they are dropped after he performs his next attack. Popeye destroys the HEAVY PROJECTILE and turns it into small throwable ITEMS. In SPINACH MODE, he charges forward with his ARMORED chin out and throws out a punch that REFLECTS PROJECTILES.
Air: TORPEDO TAKEDOWN - Popeye flies forward with a spinning headbutt. On COOLDOWN he propels himself forward with his pipe as a propeller.

Up Special
Ground
: PIPE PROPELLER/NO-YOUS-CAN’T! - he propels himself upwards with his pipe as a propeller. In SPINACH MODE, he delivers a flying uppercut, launching himself into the air
Air: Same as ground

Down Special
Ground
: ANCHORS AWEIGH/HOW DOES THAT STRIKE YA? - Popeye pulls out an anchor and throws it as a HEAVY PROJECTILE. Popeye can latch onto the anchor with his life preserver PROJECTILE and pull himself to its location if it’s in range. In SPINACH MODE, Popeye rolls up into a bowling ball and rolls across the map until he hits an enemy or HEAVY PROJECTILE.
Air: LOWER THE ANCHOR - Popeye holds onto an anchor as it plummets.

Passive Ability
I EATS ME SPINACH - When Popeye or an ally have taken too much DAMAGE, he will pull out a can of spinach and eat it, going into SPINACH MODE for a short period, where he gains an attack and defense BUFF and a new set of specials. Any allies he passes by get a SPINACH BUFF which grants attack and defense. The spinach can is capable of getting knocked out of his hand before he eats it and can be picked up by an ally or enemy.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

Neutral Attack
Ground: THE OL’ TWISKER PUNCH - Popeye twists up his fist and CHARGES a powerful multi-hit drill punch that BREAKS ARMOR.
Air: “BOFF” AND “WHAM” - A counter-clockwise hook punch. Input again for a second clockwise hook.

Side Attack

Up Attack
Ground: TOOT TOOT - Popeye toots his pipe twice with the smoke knocking opponents into the air. CHARGE for Popeye to shoot a small pillar of fire out of his pipe. You can move side to side during the attack

Down Attack
Ground: RISK MY “FISK” - a jumping ground punch. CHARGE to leap further across the map.

Neutral Special

Ground: YOUR ONE LIFESAVER/40 LICKS - Popeye throws out a life preserver PROJECTILE attached to a rope that pulls in enemies and allies. COOLDOWN applies. In SPINACH MODE, he twirls around with both fists out.

Side Special
Ground
: STRONG TO THE “FINICH”/JAW OF IRON - Popeye will grab a nearby enemy or HEAVY PROJECTILE. The enemy is STUNNED, and Popeye can carry them across the map. Popeye can throw them with the same input or they are dropped after he performs his next attack. Popeye destroys the HEAVY PROJECTILE and turns it into small throwable ITEMS. In SPINACH MODE, he charges forward with his ARMORED chin out and throws out a punch that REFLECTS PROJECTILES.
Air: TORPEDO TAKEDOWN - Popeye flies forward with a spinning headbutt. On COOLDOWN he propels himself forward with his pipe as a propeller.

Up Special
Ground
: PIPE PROPELLER/NO-YOUS-CAN’T! - he propels himself upwards with his pipe as a propeller. In SPINACH MODE, he delivers a flying uppercut, launching himself into the air

Down Special
Ground
: ANCHORS AWEIGH/HOW DOES THAT STRIKE YA? - Popeye pulls out an anchor and throws it as a HEAVY PROJECTILE. Popeye can latch onto the anchor with his life preserver PROJECTILE and pull himself to its location if it’s in range. In SPINACH MODE, Popeye rolls up into a bowling ball and rolls across the map until he hits an enemy or HEAVY PROJECTILE.

Passive Ability
I EATS ME SPINACH - When Popeye or an ally have taken too much DAMAGE, he will pull out a can of spinach and eat it, going into SPINACH MODE for a short period, where he gains an attack and defense BUFF and a new set of specials. Any allies he passes by get a SPINACH BUFF which grants attack and defense. The spinach can is capable of getting knocked out of his hand before he eats it and can be picked up by an ally or enemy.

you're literally insane. haha.

congrats. haha.

no idea who you are. haha.

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

Neutral Attack

Side Attack

Up Attack

Down Attack

Neutral Special

Side Special
Ground

Up Special
Ground

Down Special
Ground

Passive Ability
i barely noticed your profile picture has a hair up girl too. lol.

rocks and rad. lofl.

"i sock ya!" lfofl.

gb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom