• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm on a main-picking train right now, and have stopped on Kirby! (Tips?)

ImmaAsian

Smash Cadet
Hey there,

My name is James and my tag is Salty Noodles. I play at Hitbox Arena (http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/profile) usually every Wednesday in the summer and have gone to a few nationals around the east coast for a couple years now. I started as a Falcon main and my general tech skill is pretty solid, and when PM 3.6b came out, I wanted to pick up a new character. So I stumbled upon Ness, R.O.B. and Kirby. I played some friendlies with my brother (who is a good Melee player, as he got me started into Smash) with all of these characters for the past couple of weeks.

Kirby to me feels a bit slow, but fun nonetheless. He's a very interesting character. Any tips on where to start picking up Kirby? Any advice would help. Thanks!

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Abuse the hell out of your low duck and amazing command grab when you can. Dash Attack is pretty much your only answer to fast characters, and all of your aerials are great at some role. If you're used to tech chasing with Falcon and G&W, then Kirby's D-Throw should come naturally to you. You'll have tons of fun making your friends salty. :D

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
The things you can do out of dash attack and cutter dash are really effective but very easy to rely on. Cutter dash will take away your jumps so use it off stage only when you need to. Dash attack can be auto canceled (essentially) when you use it off platforms to the stage but it's easier to space out than people think and you can get grabbed out of your dash attack. This is probably the most important thing I tell new kirby players, new players (including me) really rely on these two gimmicks the most. And without those gimmicks, you have a character heavily based on fundamentals and punishes (this including gimps)

Last edited:

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Welcome aboard mate. Fair is an excellent combo, finisher and spacing tool, I believe it's his best aerial overall. You can use u-tilt as a combo starter and an anti-air. Bair is an excellent finisher with punishing priority and decent range. Dair is the best combo aerial yet the slowest. You can make multiple conversions off of it such as d-tilt, f-tilt, any smash and that's just naming a few.

Top Bottom