• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm new, what do

sojothepale

Smash Rookie
NNID
sojothepale
I just got a Wii U (A few weeks ago or so) and as such, am new to actually playing Sm4sh. I've watched tournaments over the years, but that only does so much for somebody. It seems like at this point so many people online are seasoned veterans of the game, everyone seems faster than me, able to react quicker - to the point where it seems like I'm moving through mud while playing. For a little while, I just told myself to keep going online and eventually I would pick things up, but with the level of play online these days, it just doesn't feel like I'm learning anything. I'll have combos in mind that I can pull off pretty well in training, but none of that is executed well online.

-Sometimes I'll just be turned the other way without tilting to do so.

-Often when trying to do a Bair with Mario, for example, I'll accidentally do a Fair. Leaving me open to be punished for twenty years.

-I'll shield to block an attack, but it seems like the opponent...regardless of what character they're playing, is fast enough to realize I'm in shield and grab before I can drop my shield to do anything.

So...what's the best way to practice these days? I'm not really interested in going to tournaments (obviously not right now, anyway) but I'd like to be at least a somewhat competent member of the community. It just seems like FG is teaching me nothing, and instead only serving to make me angry.

Chiripp

Smash Rookie
First thingtyou should do is find your local scenesand start attending locals, even if you lose every set you play 0-2 just ignore the result and use the sets with other players to improve. Also play a lot of friendlies when you're there, it'll do wonders for your improvement and when you're at home just grind, try finding videos that explains important things you can practice by yourself.

About your controller problem, it's sometsome that shouldn't happen and could some players the set. If you're going to start playing seriously and competitively you should definitely get a new controller unless you can find a way to fix it yourself.

DownDog

Smash Rookie
I just got a Wii U (A few weeks ago or so) and as such, am new to actually playing Sm4sh. I've watched tournaments over the years, but that only does so much for somebody. It seems like at this point so many people online are seasoned veterans of the game, everyone seems faster than me, able to react quicker - to the point where it seems like I'm moving through mud while playing. For a little while, I just told myself to keep going online and eventually I would pick things up, but with the level of play online these days, it just doesn't feel like I'm learning anything. I'll have combos in mind that I can pull off pretty well in training, but none of that is executed well online.

-Sometimes I'll just be turned the other way without tilting to do so.

-Often when trying to do a Bair with Mario, for example, I'll accidentally do a Fair. Leaving me open to be punished for twenty years.

-I'll shield to block an attack, but it seems like the opponent...regardless of what character they're playing, is fast enough to realize I'm in shield and grab before I can drop my shield to do anything.

So...what's the best way to practice these days? I'm not really interested in going to tournaments (obviously not right now, anyway) but I'd like to be at least a somewhat competent member of the community. It just seems like FG is teaching me nothing, and instead only serving to make me angry.
Try to find a friend that will maybe help you with the game and kinda just experiment with different things and characters to find what you feel really comfortable with but if you really feel good with Mario then just go for it. Other than that look up some tips online and implement that in to your game. Other than that just have fun girl and try going to tournaments. For the first time don't go to win right away because that's usually never what will happen so have fun and meet new people that will give you advice.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Are you using a GameCube controller? A lot of missed input issues can be fixed by just using a GC controller. Try to experiment with OOS (out of shield) options in friendlies. Roll, spot dodge, and grab work particularly well.

Last edited:

sojothepale

Smash Rookie
NNID
sojothepale
First thingtyou should do is find your local scenesand start attending locals, even if you lose every set you play 0-2 just ignore the result and use the sets with other players to improve. Also play a lot of friendlies when you're there, it'll do wonders for your improvement and when you're at home just grind, try finding videos that explains important things you can practice by yourself.

About your controller problem, it's sometsome that shouldn't happen and could some players the set. If you're going to start playing seriously and competitively you should definitely get a new controller unless you can find a way to fix it yourself.
I'll look into that, thanks. I just didn't wanna walk in anywhere with almost no knowledge of the game is all.

Well, it doesn't help that I'm using a GC controller that a friend got in a bag of three for like $15.

Try to find a friend that will maybe help you with the game and kinda just experiment with different things and characters to find what you feel really comfortable with but if you really feel good with Mario then just go for it. Other than that look up some tips online and implement that in to your game. Other than that just have fun girl and try going to tournaments. For the first time don't go to win right away because that's usually never what will happen so have fun and meet new people that will give you advice.
I jump between Mario and Dedede, but Mario is who I started with a while back. It feels like Nintendo made a lot of his combos, etc. really basic because even people who don't know what Smash is will probably gravitate to him because of his status.

Are you using a GameCube controller? A lot of missed input issues can be fixed by just using a GC controller. Try to experiment with OOS (out of shield) options in friendlies. Roll, spot dodge, and grab work particularly well.
Yeah, but it's a bootleg one lol. I figured it wouldn't be TOO big of a deal, cuz the official ones I've found on Amazon are like...$40 at the cheapest.

Definitely a problem now, though.

DownDog

Smash Rookie
I'll look into that, thanks. I just didn't wanna walk in anywhere with almost no knowledge of the game is all.

Well, it doesn't help that I'm using a GC controller that a friend got in a bag of three for like $15.

I jump between Mario and Dedede, but Mario is who I started with a while back. It feels like Nintendo made a lot of his combos, etc. really basic because even people who don't know what Smash is will probably gravitate to him because of his status.

Yeah, but it's a bootleg one lol. I figured it wouldn't be TOO big of a deal, cuz the official ones I've found on Amazon are like...$40 at the cheapest.

Definitely a problem now, though.
Ok you definitely need a new GC controller, those bad $10-15 ones aren't doing you any justice. They are just going to bug out on you mid-game.

Last edited:

DownDog

Smash Rookie
Ok you definitely need a new GC controller, those bad $10 ones aren't doing you any justice.
I believe that they sell them at Frys electronics
I'm assuming that's a store in America so I'm going to say you are 100% right. If it's an electronics store they probably might not have GC controllers, but I'm going off of what I see here in Canada eh.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming that's a store in America so I'm going to say you are 100% right. If it's an electronics store they probably might not have GC controllers, but I'm going off of what I see here in Canada eh.
They carry a bunch of licensed video game hardware for PC stuff. I picked up an actual brand new GC controller there for 30$

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you should get yourself a good gamecube controller. I bought one dirt cheap on Amazon, but it feels and looks like it was made with garbage. Every time I hit a button it gets stuck and or pops back into place. Check out your local gamestores. Some of the ones near me still have official gamecube controllers for sell.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
The prices for the official smash wiiu gamecube controllers have more than doubled since 2 years ago when I got them on Amazon for 50 CAD bucks each. Now theyre like $120 plus tax. I'd say they're still worth it over 3rd party controllers.

In terms of getting better. Just keep practicing. If you play against players around your skill level and up, you'll start to catch on to habits they have and adapt to them.

Top Bottom