• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im new to competetive Melee, PLEASE HELP ME!

superjack1000

Smash Rookie
Hi all. In the past, I always loved the game. I would play with my friends and I could beat them all. I play fox and used charged up smashes a lot. So, I figured "None of my friends can beat me. I'm the best. I'm gonna go win a tournament." I WAS WRONG. I got 4 stocked 9 times in a row. Now, I am on a quest. I want to learn fox, but I don't know where to start. I learned how to wavedash today, but I have no clue what to do with it.

So, fellow smashers, please help. Please tell me where to start and send me in the right direction. I want to be able to go back to that same local tourney in a few weeks and not get 4 stocked. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot guys!!!!!

yttik

Wavedashing is about movement options. When wavedashing the game considers you to be neutral so you can do any move you want as if you were standing still. You can reverse wavedash by simply wavedashing backwards. This allows you to face one direction while moving in the other, so you can quickly grab ledge. You can quickly land on a platform with wavelanding, eliminating the animation and the waiting period of landing a normal jump.

Make sure you know what each of Fox's moves do and what effects they have. For a basic example, you can realise that forward air is multi hit and weak while back air is single hitting but hits harder. Figure out how to get the kills and at what percent with certain characters, like what % up smash kills each of the top 8. Learn what your shine can do and practise with some basic tech with it, it's probably one of your most important tools when playing a spacie. Fox is a pretty hard character to learn so you better be determined. :sheep:

Nambrik

Smash Rookie
Make sure when you wavedash that you are doing it correctly. If you are doing it right, Fox won't make any noise. Wavedash is very, VERY useful for getting back on stage from ledge and going in for upsmashes. Make sure you are l-canceling your aerials as well. Fox is a very hard character to get good with. If you are still having trouble I would reccomend playing an easier character.

superjack1000

Smash Rookie
Thanks. I am very determined to learn. I really just want to get to a point where I can rake 1-2 stocks off if a good player soon. I'm prepared to practice 1-2 hours a day. What should I also be practicing? Again, tga ks so much guys!

yttik

Start with getting consistent L cancels and short hops (which can be hard with fox) and make sure you can move freely around the stage using quick dashes, dash dancing and wavedashing. Don't be afraid of the ledge either. There's a few decent video tutorials on YT if you need something visual, I know they helped me.

superjack1000

Smash Rookie
Of you could send me those videos, that would be awesome. Again, thanks for the help.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Pro tip: Do not throw out Charged up smashes. If you are going to use them, use it while running, or when your opponent uses a laggy move. Also, get better at wavelanding.

Top Bottom