• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im new to Brawl, why are more people playing Smash 64 than it at Apex?

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I have been getting into Brawl recently, but why are more people playing Smash 64 than it at Apex?

It just seems weird that a game for the N64 has more entrants than a game that came out in 2008.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
64 offers something none of the other smash series has in gameplay and feel.

This and a lot of people jumped ship to smash 4 since it more or less is upgraded better Brawl.

hi im 47

Smash Cadet
64 is just such a different game from brawl, so a lot of people have a different playstyle. Some people like the clunky mechanics, and some people like the slow brawl.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I have been getting into Brawl recently, but why are more people playing Smash 64 than it at Apex?

It just seems weird that a game for the N64 has more entrants than a game that came out in 2008.
Smash 4 is basically a faster, tripping-less brawl with better balance (other than :4diddy:). Almost everybody is switching to it.

IT'S ALSO NEW!

Last edited:

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044

Smash 64 has this neat.... feel to it. Sm4sh has also taken the "spotlight" from Brawl.

My question is... Why the heck are you getting into Brawl? Brawl is hands down the worst smash game.

Smash 4 > Melee > Project M > Smash 64 > Brawl.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
You're getting into Brawl?
Like... competitive?
...now?

Is there even a healthy brawl community around where you live?
(Where i live, brawl tournaments died out in less than a year after its release.)

Don't take this as an insult, but it seems quite daft to start getting competitive for a (more or less) dead game.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
You're getting into Brawl?
Like... competitive?
...now?

Is there even a healthy brawl community around where you live?
(Where i live, brawl tournaments died out in less than a year after its release.)

Don't take this as an insult, but it seems quite daft to start getting competitive for a (more or less) dead game.
Last I checked, Smash 64 is having its largest tournament in North America ever at Apex 2015 (a game I also play), why wouldn't Brawl experience a similar revival?

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
Last I checked, Smash 64 is having its largest tournament in North America ever at Apex 2015 (a game I also play), why wouldn't Brawl experience a similar revival?
The hate on it has already stacked up, and the people who liked it mainly were the people who like the newest iteration of smash.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
People don't like Brawl, so people don't sign up for it. And why should they? Smash 4 is out and the meta game is being developed, why play a game that can't really be expanded on when you can play a new, more exiting game? You could argue the same for Melee, but new things are still being discovered even now, and it is a much faster game, so naturally the fighting game community will prefer it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Last edited:

MrKandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
xBingox
The only thing I wished SSB4 inherited from Brawl was a storyline. Only thing I really enjoyed from Brawl (Even though the storyline cannot be considered a real storyline imo).

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The majority of the competitive community despises Brawl, mostly because it plays differently from Melee. Since it's not the newest Smash anymore, and because Melee players won't stop complaining, most people expect it to be phased out soon. Most players are training more on Sm4sh and Melee.

ChallengerDoob

Smash GAWD
NNID
UntamedCookie
3DS FC
3437-3196-4733
The competitive scene is not very found of brawl anymore if they weren't from the beginning, most of the mechanics have already been discovered and smash 4 is out which is a tad faster and more exciting for new and old players.

shadee88

Smash Apprentice

Many people disliked Brawl's game mechanic and the entrants has declined.......

It's actually shocking how little people are signing up for SSB64...

But I'm happy it was available....

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
What nobody is really mentioning in this thread is that the 64 community also did a lot of things right that the Brawl community did wrong. Both communities are very small, but one is growing while the other is not.
  • Brawl didn't get decent netplay until a few months ago when 2 of us decided to just bite the bullet and hash out a code randomly -- why didn't anyone do this sooner? Dolphin has been available for a long time now but only in the last 2 months or so was Brawl netplay integrated into it.
  • 64 players stuck to their game even though the other games were more popular and had much, much bigger followings. Only a handful of players have jumped ship for the relative playerbase size, as opposed to how many Brawl players more or less have to play smash 4 despite not liking as much because they can't find anyone to play with otherwise.
  • 3 regions of NA started up tournament series and stuck with it (and promoted it), and then 64 spread like wildfire. Look at what Xanadu has done for 64 because Shears fought tooth and nail to have it featured and worked his ass off to recruit locals to play the game. Who's doing that for Brawl?
These are all significantly harder to do with the stigma surrounding Brawl though :\ There are a lot of misconceptions around 64 as well as Melee players taking up too much space and flooding Isai's chat with Melee talk for example, but it's not quite the same problem as what Brawl has...

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
What nobody is really mentioning in this thread is that the 64 community also did a lot of things right that the Brawl community did wrong. Both communities are very small, but one is growing while the other is not.
  • Brawl didn't get decent netplay until a few months ago when 2 of us decided to just bite the bullet and hash out a code randomly -- why didn't anyone do this sooner? Dolphin has been available for a long time now but only in the last 2 months or so was Brawl netplay integrated into it.
  • 64 players stuck to their game even though the other games were more popular and had much, much bigger followings. Only a handful of players have jumped ship for the relative playerbase size, as opposed to how many Brawl players more or less have to play smash 4 despite not liking as much because they can't find anyone to play with otherwise.
  • 3 regions of NA started up tournament series and stuck with it (and promoted it), and then 64 spread like wildfire. Look at what Xanadu has done for 64 because Shears fought tooth and nail to have it featured and worked his *** off to recruit locals to play the game. Who's doing that for Brawl?
These are all significantly harder to do with the stigma surrounding Brawl though :\ There are a lot of misconceptions around 64 as well as Melee players taking up too much space and flooding Isai's chat with Melee talk for example, but it's not quite the same problem as what Brawl has...
I saw the numbers, the number of people who sign up for 64 is about the the same (slightly more) number of people who sign up for Brawl.........

Brawl is not dead, a handful of Smash 4 players STILL sign up for Brawl........ I think Smash 4's numbers are also coming from a ton of newbies to the smash scene......

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
I saw the numbers, the number of people who sign up for 64 is about the the same (slightly more) number of people who sign up for Brawl.........

Brawl is not dead, a handful of Smash 4 players STILL sign up for Brawl........ I think Smash 4's numbers are also coming from a ton of newbies to the smash scene......
BTW there are few people here in Michigan hosting Smash4 and Brawl tournaments,,,,, Brawl signups are alive because it's available when they pretty much originally came for Smash 4.....

I dont think Brawl will ever DIE DIE....

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

The difference is that 64 has historically always been a small community. The upper half of the 64 brackets are all people who are really good at the game and play it regularly. Apex 2015 was record numbers for 64 specifically because the 64 tournament scene has blown up in the past year following the efforts of Shears, Soto, myself, and our respective communities.

Brawl on the other hand went from being the feature event at Apex to down to under 200 people, most of which joined because they used to play it but haven't practiced in at least 6 months.

The numbers may be close, but one is an explosive increase with passion and the other is a daunting decrease with almost none. The numbers alone don't signify similar health.

Brawl fans need to find each other. I haven't busted my ass for this community for nothing :(

Last edited:

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
The difference is that 64 has historically always been a small community. The upper half of the 64 brackets are all people who are really good at the game and play it regularly. Apex 2015 was record numbers for 64 specifically because the 64 tournament scene has blown up in the past year following the efforts of Shears, Soto, myself, and our respective communities.

Brawl on the other hand went from being the feature event at Apex to down to under 200 people, most of which joined because they used to play it but haven't practiced in at least 6 months.

The numbers may be close, but one is an explosive increase with passion and the other is a daunting decrease with almost none. The numbers alone don't signify similar health.

Brawl fans need to find each other. I haven't busted my *** for this community for nothing :(

The difference is that 64 has historically always been a small community. The upper half of the 64 brackets are all people who are really good at the game and play it regularly.

Brawl had pretty much had TONS of people playing. When Smash 4 got released, most Brawl players moved onto Smash 4 and haven't touched Brawl. The people who STILL do from what I see are actually one of the better and more professional players "similar to situation to 64". but yeah 64 grew to 200- and Brawl shrunk (halved) to 200-.......
Not to mention that even though the SSb64 and Brawl numbers were the same,,,,, more % of ssb64 people signed up specifically for ssb64, and 90% of Brawl players also signed up for Smash 4.....

I really hope Brawl will be included in Apex 2016 though.............

TheComebackKid

Smash Rookie
With the techs that Brawl characters can do (Lucas for one), the fact the competetive scene left it is just odd. I can understand that it is slow, but that's when people play defensive, which is the easiest way to win. While in Melee, offensive is the easiest way to win. Just try being defensive in Melee and see where you get to.

TheComebackKid

Smash Rookie
The difference is that 64 has historically always been a small community. The upper half of the 64 brackets are all people who are really good at the game and play it regularly.

Brawl had pretty much had TONS of people playing. When Smash 4 got released, most Brawl players moved onto Smash 4 and haven't touched Brawl. The people who STILL do from what I see are actually one of the better and more professional players "similar to situation to 64". but yeah 64 grew to 200- and Brawl shrunk (halved) to 200-.......
Not to mention that even though the SSb64 and Brawl numbers were the same,,,,, more % of ssb64 people signed up specifically for ssb64, and 90% of Brawl players also signed up for Smash 4.....

I really hope Brawl will be included in Apex 2016 though.............
It was already in 2015, so who knows. I would love to see a revival of the game.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I have been playing smash 4 and for one reason or another I find Brawl to be more fun to play. Sure it has those terrible tripping mechanics but footstooling is running rampant in smash 4 and to me that is way more annoying. Btw yes I do play smash 4 competitively this not coming from a casuals perspective.

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
With the techs that Brawl characters can do (Lucas for one), the fact the competetive scene left it is just odd. I can understand that it is slow, but that's when people play defensive, which is the easiest way to win. While in Melee, offensive is the easiest way to win. Just try being defensive in Melee and see where you get to.
I'm a defensive player indeed.................

shadee88

Smash Apprentice
  • 3 regions of NA started up tournament series and stuck with it (and promoted it), and then 64 spread like wildfire. Look at what Xanadu has done for 64 because Shears fought tooth and nail to have it featured and worked his *** off to recruit locals to play the game. Who's doing that for Brawl?

Actually the reason why TO's refuse to include Brawl is NOT mainly b/c of lack of entrants. Its because most people who sign up for Brawl also sign up for other games (mostly Smash 4), and most of the entrants for other games are people who only signed up for other games, i.e.

most 64 players sign up for only 64
most melee players sign up for only melee
most smash wii u players only sign up for only smash wii u
most brawl players sign up for other events and very few sign up JUST for brawl.....

which is why many TO's feel brawl 2 be redundant,,,, which makes sense 4 a local 1 day event though.....

shadee88

Smash Apprentice

Brawl fans need to find each other. I haven't busted my *** for this community for nothing :(
because of this getting more people to sign up 4 brawl isn't enough....

Top Bottom