• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm in need of advice..

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
I've been maining falco for about 5 months, I've learned all his techniques, but I've always been having trouble dealing with smart players and players that only spam. Camping is hard and playing aggressive is no better. Could anyone tip me on what a good Falco is and what I could do to improve? ( Brawl me if you need to.. just let me know, and I also have a skype, I'll give it to you via PM )

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No, but it will take you far, trust me. Simply jab twice, jab cancel, jab twice again will be effective and if they shield it you can grab. It's awesome.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Oh, so jab has the highest priority? What's most important next to jab? A good laser game? Cuz I'm sure there's more to falco than just jabbing and grabbing. :p

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I KNOW jab has highest priority, but I wasn't sure how to deal with wifi chars like kirby and GnW as they do give me a hard time. I didn't know jabbing was really all it took. :L

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well, when your opponent is far you should use SHDL, when they are a close to middle range you should SHL. Close you should use jab a lot. Laser into ftilt will give a lot of people serious trouble if mixed up with grab and jabs.
I main G&W and jab is the #1 problem for me in this MU, it stops all of his smashes and groundmoves just like that. Use it more, but not when they are in the air.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Get a match (where you lose/felt helpless in) recorded then post it in the video critique thread.

It sounds like you need a bit of a strategy and need to practice executing your countermeasures.

You say people are spamming you. That's fairly vague, but lets stick with example of a wolf spamming smashes. First off, when does he seem to be spamming smashes? Say case 1) he is spamming Dsmash against you when your at high percents. Or case 2) spamming fsmash after only lasering once or twice.

A easy strategy for case 1 is shield way more often than necessary when your at high percents and wait for him to hit your shield with dsmash. Depending upon how quickly you do it, you should be able to drop shield and dash attack him right away. Another strategy (which is harder to master) is spacing yourself to avoid his attack, but close enough that you can punish any whiffs of his Dsmash.

Case 2, once you recognize this pattern, you can once again hold shield, then punish his attempts at fsmashing. Alternatively, you can once again try spacing yourself to avoid situations where you easily get hit by fsmash. Or you can try believing in your ability to spontaneously react to a fsmash by doing whatever to stop it (shield, jab/ftilt before it comes out, DI the first hit to avoid the 2nd).

The main point is that once you recognize something that seems to be giving you troubles, you need to work out a plan of action against it and practice executing it so you do not fall prey to it.

Its a lot more complex than this, but there is no simple thing to write down on how to be better. I feel like with playing smash (or really any major skill your working on), there is a ton of things you simply have to figure out yourself. There will be slumps of "what the hell do I do". It might take you months to ever have some sort of moment where you suddenly seem to be doing better, but it often comes with time. Just keep playing and trying to mix-up your mindset on how you play games to experiment. You should find something that works eventually.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Lzr, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Cross, unfortunately I'm not able to record matches, but you could either: One, brawl me for yourself and see, or you could give me your wii number and if I ever get ***** I could give you the match for you to analyze.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Xeylode, thank you VERY much. That really helps and helps me plan what to do against spammy players, but I'm not sure what to do if I go against a smart player who knows the MU well. Do I just keep practicing the MU against smart people and ask them what I'm doing wrong?

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Xeylode, thank you VERY much. That really helps and helps me plan what to do against spammy players, but I'm not sure what to do if I go against a smart player who knows the MU well. Do I just keep practicing the MU against smart people and ask them what I'm doing wrong?
Try to figure out what kind of player they are, and counter it. It sounds vague but I don't know how to explain any better. Look for their habits. Try to notice if they act and play differently in certain situations and percentages.

There is only so much you can do with a character. You have to learn about the people you play and what you can do to counter it.

I also recommend learning how to play without being sloppy. Be technically on-point and go into the game with a positive attitude and clean mind.

You gotta want the win, brethren.

From all the critiques I have ever gotten from people, I have never learned anything from those sort of critiques generally. Eventually you reach a point where the only thing anyone can point out are your obvious mistakes and common errors. "Your being really obvious about your killing attempts."

The rest ends up being self-critique. Slow and painful, but you just have to spent a little time looking at what gets you into trouble.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot both Drew and and Xeylode. You guys probably said what you said the best you possibly could. And I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to post this topic here.. I'm new to this site and was recommended here. :/

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
It doesn't matter.

It's not like the forum is bustling with so much activity that one topic will drive the world mad.

We're not a city, but we're not a wasteland. We are...more or less...the ghetto. And we have a lot of black people here. Perfect.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man, Chillin' in the hood. Wish I was black, so my Falco was good. Unfortunately I'm European with the skin color of an Arabian. Close enough.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Yeah man, Chillin' in the hood. Wish I was black, so my Falco was good. Unfortunately I'm European with the skin color of an Arabian. Close enough.
...What the ****?

We accept you anyways. :bee:

D

Deleted member 189823

gaw is my secondary and I know how to use Kirby decently. Maybe I can train you in those MUs.

Also, did you know of the Jab to F-Smash Falco combo? You do now.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
If you want to play wifi, I have a pretty good internet connection so I play online occasionally. I secondary a few characters that would probably be helpful to you in learning. (I try not to overdo it though because too much wifi= bad tech skill at tournaments) Are you east or west coast? The best thing you can really do is get as much matchup experience as you can against a wide variety of people. Wifi can be a tool to help with that.

As for Falco's jab, he really does have the best one in the game. Depending on how people DI (or if they don't) you can jab cancel and grab, tripple jab or double jab cancel to follow up. It's great for punishing when there isn't time to do a whole lot as well as mixups.

Also, did you know of the Jab to F-Smash Falco combo? You do now.
Thats kind of not a true combo against anybody that can DI. It only works on noobs. I have a friend though thats one of the worst players I know in real life and I do it to him all the time but against competitive level players don't do that.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Swei, that would be really helpful, and as for the Jab Fsmash combo, I've known it since I was a scrub. I already know any DECENT player could DI out of that. I know much more than you think I would know, but I've yet to understand how to apply it. But, that's only one o my problems as I also have low match up and stage knowledge. :/ Btw, if you want to brawl, either skype me ( ask for skype ), message me on allisbrawl, or just chat with me somewhere else. Same goes for you Itz TY and FYI, I'm East Coast. :p

Xx HanZo xX

Smash Apprentice
I'm liking this lil thread here :D no one is being an *** and trolling the guy. you guys are actually helping out a fellow falco in need. I'm glad to be part of this lil falco group <3.

Ahh as for trollby. hmm naturally i would say common sense should take effect into most MUs. For falco you can either be an impatient aggro falco (that doesn't really get you far in this life lol) or you can play safe, wait for your opponent to come to you and punish w/e ways he tries to get into your face.

if you'd like i would be happy to play you online if you got time. I'm not good but i've picked up basic shiz from characters i normally play.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Somehow SLS does the whole aggression thing consistently.

And is realllllllly ****ing successful.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Trollby try not to double post.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
The reason you might be having trouble is you do not understand your opponent's character. If that is the case, you need to practice match ups. There are certain things people exploit with their character which does not work. An example would be a Metaknight spamming down smash on a player's shield and that player, not knowing he can punish the attack, does nothing.

If there is a certain situation you are having trouble in, I suggest practicing it by putting yourself in that situation multiple times. At first it might be frustrating, since you do not yet know how to handle the situation you are in, but eventually it should become so easy for you that you do not even have to put thought into your actions.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
The reason you might be having trouble is you do not understand your opponent's character. If that is the case, you need to practice match ups. There are certain things people exploit with their character which does not work. An example would be a Metaknight spamming down smash on a player's shield and that player, not knowing he can punish the attack, does nothing.

If there is a certain situation you are having trouble in, I suggest practicing it by putting yourself in that situation multiple times. At first it might be frustrating, since you do not yet know how to handle the situation you are in, but eventually it should become so easy for you that you do not even have to put thought into your actions.
I'll translate, this is a little garbled, try saying it outloud.

practice what you suck at.

Teasing aside I recommend you pay attention to his post. DEHF usually gives good advice , but you need to actually take it and do what he says, even if it takes a lot of work.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice

Thanks man, I'll take this advice into mind. I actually have been trying to get a lot of MU experience and that's one thing I've always been having trouble with. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to punish something and I get screwed over.

Top Bottom