• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm faster than sound, I keep on jumpin' around!" Classic Sonic goes manic!

how should Classic Sonic exist compared with Modern Sonic?

• Total voters

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Classic Sonic: the hedgehog with attitude

Sonic has appeared in Super Smash Bros. ever since Brawl, and is VERY likely to return for Smash 6 (5 for those who can't count), but has always used his "modern" design. while the modern design is popular, the release of Sonic Generations has made Sonic's classic design very well liked, and after at first being opposed to using Classic again, Sega eventually released Sonic Mania, one of the most popular and critically acclaimed Sonic games since Colours, created by devoted fans with help from Sega. since then, Sega has used Classic much more in merchandise and is even working on a 5-episode cartoon starring Classic Sonic. this all points to Classic as being a possible candidate for Smash who I personally support.

I know what you're going to say, "Mania came out too late!", and that may seem like a valid argument, if not for one thing. Mania started development in 2015. it's possible that Sakurai could have been informed about Mania's development, a bit of a stretch, yes, considering he's from a different company, but not entirely impossible

Wario Wario Wario
Lyndis_

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Thats a mighty limited list.
Where is the "I don't think he should be a character" option? A roster with two Sonic's and no Tails is blasphemy.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
He'd be neat as an alternate costume for Sonic, and with all of the love for Classic Sonic recently, I could see that happening, but I don't think he'll be added as a separate character.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
when did I ever say Classic was the ONLY option for a new Sonic character? I'd fully welcome 2 new Sonic characters, and Tails would be really cool actually!
My point is that your list does not include any option for NOT having Classic Sonic as a character.
It's a great way to skew the results by making the quesion only give options that would lead to a desired response.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I honestly wouldn't mind if they just made Classic Sonic outright replace Sonic. I may be a bit biased as I really only enjoy playing the classic Sonic games (and Mania) however I think it makes sense.

I feel like he's got a much more visually appealing design, and he fits the moveset Sakurai made for Sonic (based on classic Sonic) much better. It's weird having a classic Mega Man and Pac-Man, then just seeing modern Sonic.

I personally feel the Toei/Mania intro Sonic would be the best look to give him in the game. Support.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I am one of those strange people who prefers Modern Sonic's design better, despite finding literally everything else in Mania superior. I feel like Mania could be represented by stages/music (and hopefully enemies and bosses in 1p mode somewhere) without changing Sonic's look. Smash 4's take on Modern Sonic actually blends the styles well.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I honestly wouldn't mind if they just made Classic Sonic outright replace Sonic. I may be a bit biased as I really only enjoy playing the classic Sonic games (and Mania) however I think it makes sense.

I feel like he's got a much more visually appealing design, and he fits the moveset Sakurai made for Sonic (based on classic Sonic) much better. It's weird having a classic Mega Man and Pac-Man, then just seeing modern Sonic.

I personally feel the Toei/Mania intro Sonic would be the best look to give him in the game. Support.
I fully agree with everything you said here except the thing about Toei Sonic. I'd be fine with Toei Sonic, in fact, I'd be quite happy with him, but I'd prefer American Mohawk Sonic, through that's really unlikely, and if Classic was to appear in Smash, I'm 101% sure it'd be his Generations/Forces design

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
why would you even click a Classic Sonic thread if you don't want Classic Sonic?
I love classic sonic.
I just do not agree with how you chose to represent him.
And i'm a bit offended (well, internet offended, not real offended) at the insinuation that I don't have your vision, and thusly I do not like the character.

I'm a bit confused ... Classic Megaman, absolutely.
But we do not have Classic Pacman in Smash- it may not be Pacman's current design, but it is certainly on the lines of "current" moreso than "Classic."

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
From a marketing standpoint I feel like classic's going to be put in. Both of the latest switch titles brought focus back to him, and the marketing since the 25th anniversary has focused around him.

He should at the very least be an alternate costume I feel, but I also want modern sonic to be revamped to give them distinctive playstyles.

Top Bottom