• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm done with For Glory, for good

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
I wonder if lag and input delay have anything to do with it. Hmmmm.
That is abit dependent, but a valid point nether the less

this game is crap. only had it for a few months and all we see is cookie cutter combos and high tiers being used online. its so damn campy and the lag makes it even worse. I've raged hard in this game then any other smash game.
PSA Learn the match-ups + DI. Jokes aside, it's best to avoid For Glory if you're having troubles with it. Heck, on the 3DS version, i've learn't more from Level 9 CPUs than my opponents on For Glory. Also, sell all your equipment if you wanna battle random CPUs with ONLY randomized custom moves.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
All I'm reading is major salt from many of the posters who shouldn't be taking a mode that was flawed from the get-go seriously.

Hell, my record has fallen from a 85.67% to 79.82% in the past two months and I couldn't give less of a **** (I've killed myself in lag-fests and I've lost to certain people because I didn't actually apply stuff to certain matches) because in the end, it means nothing. For Glory is pretty much the only other way I get to play with others unless my friends are online or I'm back at my college with my friends, but I've pretty much taken into account of how bad it is and thus do not even consider it an issue anymore, given that Sakurai blatantly made the mode the way it is out of spite and that roughly 75% of all players on it are absolute **** anyway (The amount of times you hear about people with Win rates of less than 40-50 is astonishing).

OP, your 3DS breaking was simply you being salty, NOTHING MORE. If you couldn't take a loss in FG that well (It cost you a portable system, for Christ's sake...), then I shudder to think how you react when you lose in real life, no matter what crap you post afterwards. In the end, the only Glory on For Glory is to remember that you're better than it, that's all.

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
All I'm reading is major salt from many of the posters who shouldn't be taking a mode that was flawed from the get-go seriously.

Hell, my record has fallen from a 85.67% to 79.82% in the past two months and I couldn't give less of a **** (I've killed myself in lag-fests and I've lost to certain people because I didn't actually apply stuff to certain matches) because in the end, it means nothing. For Glory is pretty much the only other way I get to play with others unless my friends are online or I'm back at my college with my friends, but I've pretty much taken into account of how bad it is and thus do not even consider it an issue anymore, given that Sakurai blatantly made the mode the way it is out of spite and that roughly 75% of all players on it are absolute **** anyway (The amount of times you hear about people with Win rates of less than 40-50 is astonishing).

OP, your 3DS breaking was simply you being salty, NOTHING MORE. If you couldn't take a loss in FG that well (It cost you a portable system, for Christ's sake...), then I shudder to think how you react when you lose in real life, no matter what crap you post afterwards. In the end, the only Glory on For Glory is to remember that you're better than it, that's all.
Most people don't get mad in real life from what I've seen. Its usually lag that gets people's goat.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes you just gotta know when to turn the game off. If your having a rough time, put the controller(or in this case, 3ds) down for a few and when your ready start playing again.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
Most people don't get mad in real life from what I've seen. Its usually lag that gets people's goat.
I understand how lag can get frustrating, but if you're playing any game online, you know there's a chance that it will happen-that's the reason why I cannot really get upset, mostly because A.) I live in the U.S. where most connections are **** because most companies don't give decent service with DL speeds and the like, and B.) I'm playing on a Nintendo console, where lag is so frequent even when your connection is extremely stable (I've checked my DL speeds back at my apartment near college, they are ungodly good, but if my opponent has a crap connection, it has affected me) and that they don't really have dedicated servers.

Overall, lag is annoying, I get that. I'm just making a note of the fact that whenever you game online (Especially with Smash Bros.), you have to remember that there's a chance that it could occur and that FG in a nutshell isn't something meant to be taken seriously. It's not like you have money or fame on the line, so why destroy your system over it?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Only thing i use FG for anymore is testing new characters or when I'm trying to squeeze in like ten minutes of matches.

Morbi

Scavenger
Only thing i use FG for anymore is testing new characters or when I'm trying to squeeze in like ten minutes of matches.
I hate testing new characters on For Glory. With all of the lag and whatnot, For Glory does not really capture the essence of the character in my opinion. It sort of leaves you with a lackluster impression of them. Regardless, it is a good idea in theory. FG is not always a laggy mess.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Sigh... OK. Today, i went on For Glory with my new DLC fighter Ryu and my new Gamecube Adapter that i just got today for my birthday. After having some matches with CPU and my older brother, i decided to go on For Glory because i was feeling competitive... little did i know i was going to scream. I went against some ***hole named "Luke" who had a horrible Little Mac, i bodied it and spammed the side-taunt: "Talk is cheap"... afterwards he decided to play Ness and SPAM PK FIRE AND DO THE BS BACK-THROW! He won and decided to change his tag to "HAHAHA"... the next match he beat me again with the same ***hat Ness... and finally he changed his tag to "USUCK"... What a f***face, trying to ruin my Smash experience on my BIRTHDAY!... i was crying and screaming for abit... i thought about uploading that Little Mac replay i got of him so i could get the last laugh, but i decided against it... that scrublord almost ruined my Birthday...

From now on, i'm staying away from For Glory during special events so i don't lose my cool and remember the annoyance. I'll upload that replay sometime or someday, but only to show that insulting another player trying to have fun will lead you to idiocy.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Sigh... OK. Today, i went on For Glory with my new DLC fighter Ryu and my new Gamecube Adapter that i just got today for my birthday. After having some matches with CPU and my older brother, i decided to go on For Glory because i was feeling competitive... little did i know i was going to scream. I went against some ***hole named "Luke" who had a horrible Little Mac, i bodied it and spammed the side-taunt: "Talk is cheap"... afterwards he decided to play Ness and SPAM PK FIRE AND DO THE BS BACK-THROW! He won and decided to change his tag to "HAHAHA"... the next match he beat me again with the same ***hat Ness... and finally he changed his tag to "USUCK"... What a f***face, trying to ruin my Smash experience on my BIRTHDAY!... i was crying and screaming for abit... i thought about uploading that Little Mac replay i got of him so i could get the last laugh, but i decided against it... that scrublord almost ruined my Birthday...

From now on, i'm staying away from For Glory during special events so i don't lose my cool and remember the annoyance. I'll upload that replay sometime or someday, but only to show that insulting another player trying to have fun will lead you to idiocy.
Sorry to hear about that guy. FG can be infuriating, and people like these can either ruin the experience or provide a good laugh depending on your mood.

The best advice I can give is that if at anytime you start to get angry, just stop playing and do something else. You can do some exercises, read a chapter in a book, just sit outside and relax for a few minutes. Or if you still want to play Smash, get on training and mess around with your favorite character. You could try some of the other single player modes like multi-man melee (LOVE this one) or home-run contest. Or if your brother is around, just play with him.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Sorry to hear about that guy. FG can be infuriating, and people like these can either ruin the experience or provide a good laugh depending on your mood.

The best advice I can give is that if at anytime you start to get angry, just stop playing and do something else. You can do some exercises, read a chapter in a book, just sit outside and relax for a few minutes. Or if you still want to play Smash, get on training and mess around with your favorite character. You could try some of the other single player modes like multi-man melee (LOVE this one) or home-run contest. Or if your brother is around, just play with him.
Thanks pal, i guess you're right. But when something like this happens on your Birthday, it's hard to not think about it when you're re-thinking about said Birthday, hopefully the replay i upload will help ease some of the aftermath of anger i still have with this "Luke".

KingWTA

Smash Rookie
NNID
thenoodleking123
3DS FC
4828-7255-7015
I did the same exact thing. Edit:not really

Last edited:

Django2010

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-2677-4948
I don't have a WiiU, but For Glory on 3DS hasnt been bad for me really. I've even got to fight great players, ZeRo and Ace included, along with shofu whos pretty good. I believe most of the jerks and a-holes migrated to WiiU version. I think its a good thing they dont allow you to change your taunts/tags on it. I'm sure I'd get more hate then Lol

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've officially stopped using For Glory. I'm not going to type out an essay about how much I despise the tactics these low level players use or how some characters like Link are benefitted too much due to the lag, but I'll say this: While I can actually play Smash 4 online compared to how Brawl worked, the experience was not worth the better net connectivity.

I'm thinking of trying Anther's Ladder and getting sparring partners to train me. Keep in mind that I'm not setting out to be a tournament player (I have a LOT of other things to worry about), but I do want to be competent. I have one sparring partner, and he's a Fox/Lucas main, and I can stand up to both his mains, though the fights themselves are pretty even in results.

Toxicational

Smash Rookie
And things like this is the reason why I just play with friends and never usually touch for glory. There are seldom any skilled players, and id just rather play against some actual people who want a good fight then just to rack up wins with a cheap character

*ahem* :4link:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Face it. You either have to fight against dumb spammers, or if you're much more inexperienced you have to suffer getting thrashed by better players who will no doubt taunt/teabag after each kill.

Most likely the latter type will switch to :4ganondorf:/:4charizard: or ditto you just for their own amusement, especially if you repeatedly do stuff that's considered to be "a waste of time to them".

You're better off seeking other systems like Anther's or Discord to find friendlies; watch out for Anther's tho since there are still some ****ty people there by chance. Sportsmanship and/or fortunate things are very rare on For Glory nowadays.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I used to get a little salty at FG, but then I took to a new strategy of saying nice things through tags if I happen to lose a match. By saying things like "Nice : )" or "GG!" after a loss, it helped me take a step back and remember that I'm playing to have fun.
I think it also positively impacts my opponents as well, as they'll be more inclined to stay for a good session of matches, which I like a lot because I enjoy doing long sets against new and interesting playstyles.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
"Because this is what FG has done to me, and I need to share it with others, not only as a cautionary tale of taking a game too seriously (and not a sob story), but also because it will eat away at me if I dont tell someone and get it off my chest. Think of it like a church confessional. It's better to talk about it and just get it out there."

Smh

So you're blaming the game and not your self control?
That's kinda childish in my opinion.
That's like when that guy was so obsessed with Fallout 4, that he lost his wife and job and tried to sue the company for making a game that made him "lose self-control".

For Glory is well known for it's stories and experiences, yet you still play it rather than playing with people you talk to in matchmaking sites.

At first it sounds like you own up and take responsibility for your actions in the first half but then the second half it sounds like your blaming the game itself.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
This victim blaming needs to stop! :glare:
There are factors that are beyond our control when playing FG, and that needs to be taken into account. Expecting a person to take control of the other person and lag is just ridiculous. And we all have the right to get mad, thank you. The point of being human is to embrace our diversity of personalities, and even that, our personalities, maybe beyond our control. :grin:

Leave him alone! :mad:
You don't see me upset with life to the point I shoot stuff up.
It's not his anger, its his poor actions.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
The fact that there's no way to test connections with other players is what makes For Glory so bad to me.

Simply having a way to test connection speeds with other players would be a huge improvement to FG.

Crimgan

Smash Cadet
NNID
veno6478
3DS FC
4871-6162-6796
I'm switching to Anthers Ladder since its more competitive and I want to get into the smash 4 scene again despite me still being on the 3DS (Couldn't afford a Wii U rip.) For glory just isn't a good competitive environment because input lag and lag can completely turn a match 180, spammers and frustrating playstyle's are everywhere, and it just leads one to becoming salty after a few bad matches. Nothing is more infuriating then losing to cheesy strats and thats what I think For Glory embodies and promotes. Its best to just stay off this mode if you don't want to end up in a bad mood after fighting a few Lucas, Bowser Jr, Pac Man, and Villager who do nothing but spam projectiles and camp the ledge.

Last edited:

a dog

Smash Cadet
Come to Tourney mode and enjoy all the salt that comes with being eliminated, the sweet tastes of victory when you win, and on occasion goof around in the FFA rooms, with all of their random rules and Miis allowed. :p

Ever since I started playing Tourneys I've never gone back to For Glory, and I've befriended a few people who are on or above my skill level to play in With Friends mode too. For instance, tonight I had a long set with a good player who's both a Bayonetta main and a Mii Gunner main. Do you even get to see Mii Gunner mains at all when you play FG? Of course you don't, because FG is lame, lol.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
If you play for glory long enough you learn to deal with the cheesy play styles. Smash is fundumentaly a game of pattern recognition and adaptation. If you can't adapt and figure out the patterns then ya they win. Any cheesy thing they do to you you can do back to them. find a cheese that beats there cheese lol. But srsly just adapt, get a secondary to deal with bad MUs. This game is very MU oriented.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Every fighting game which doesn't have an "Upper God Tier" character is considered match-up oriented. However, as others have said, FD definitely favors certain characters and playstyles over others.
For instance, I think people would be more willing to play a character like :4dk: if you could pick Battlefield or (even better) Dreamland instead. But having to play on FD 24/7 is exhausting if you want to main him.

Last edited:

Crimgan

Smash Cadet
NNID
veno6478
3DS FC
4871-6162-6796
Come to Tourney mode and enjoy all the salt that comes with being eliminated, the sweet tastes of victory when you win, and on occasion goof around in the FFA rooms, with all of their random rules and Miis allowed. :p

Ever since I started playing Tourneys I've never gone back to For Glory, and I've befriended a few people who are on or above my skill level to play in With Friends mode too. For instance, tonight I had a long set with a good player who's both a Bayonetta main and a Mii Gunner main. Do you even get to see Mii Gunner mains at all when you play FG? Of course you don't, because FG is lame, lol.
There is no tourney mode on 3DS sadly. Thats the awful part of still being on the 3DS due to not being able to afford a Wii U (and I'm not going to bother to buy one anytime soon now).

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I'm late to this party, but I wanted to express my condolences. I, too, have raged away at pretty much every competitive game I got my hands on. It all started for fun and with positive attitude, but then something changed in me when I started playing COD 5 years ago. I started swearing more, getting really angry, and hitting and throwing things close to me (thankfully never damaging any gaming hardware).

So yeah, I know what it feels like to rage so much in a game that you get a headache. Or when your throat starts to get sore from the endless strings of profanity.

Bottom line is, have fun playing the game. If you're not having fun, it's time to quit and move on.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm late to this party, but I wanted to express my condolences. I, too, have raged away at pretty much every competitive game I got my hands on. It all started for fun and with positive attitude, but then something changed in me when I started playing COD 5 years ago. I started swearing more, getting really angry, and hitting and throwing things close to me (thankfully never damaging any gaming hardware).

So yeah, I know what it feels like to rage so much in a game that you get a headache. Or when your throat starts to get sore from the endless strings of profanity.

Bottom line is, have fun playing the game. If you're not having fun, it's time to quit and move on.
I admit to raging at a few games, but not in frustration of inhability to deal with the opponent so much as dealing with ally's. In halo if you got to the sniper rifle first your teammate might just kill you and take it. That would be enough to make me throw somthing. In for glory it bothers when opponents crouch a lot. Probably because it reminds me of halo teabaging. But after a lot of practice and adaptation I finally got to where I usually don't lose on for glory. At least not to most people who do dirty stuff. Understanding the game is the key to getting around janky stuff.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
You don't see me upset with life to the point I shoot stuff up.
It's not his anger, its his poor actions.
Unfortunately, it's entirely about anger. I've struggled with anger issues my entire life and I can tell you that the whole point of it is that it's uncontrollable when you're enraged. It's destroyed my relationship with my family.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, it's entirely about anger. I've struggled with anger issues my entire life and I can tell you that the whole point of it is that it's uncontrollable when you're enraged. It's destroyed my relationship with my family.
Uncontrollable?
It's something called patience.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
...and patience is something I've run out of as far as games are concerned. This is why I mostly stick to playing with my family and friends. A small part of me still wants to join an online Smash group though, and MK8 as well for that matter...

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Lol@people without anger issues telling people with anger issues how to handle being angry.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Smh,
So it's alright to breakstuff over video games and not to advise others how they should deal with their anger?

All I'm suggesting is this behavior is not healthy, mainly when you're destroying objects in rage, and you call this out as bait.

People now and days call everything or everybody a bait or troll anytime they try to speak what's on their mind.
People jumping the gun way too often, specially the Smash community.

If you can't handle the heat playing video games, then leave. Simple.

I'm actually glad his 3DS is broken. Now he won't be able to play anymore, because honestly with me, I don't condone that at all with the blame game.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Smh,
So it's alright to breakstuff over video games and not to advise others how they should deal with their anger?

All I'm suggesting is this behavior is not healthy, mainly when you're destroying objects in rage
You're preaching to the choir.

We know its not healthy, but sometimes we cant help it. Thats why its an anger ISSUE, and not some one-off thing. You may as well tell us "well, just dont get angry! there, problem solved!"

I'm actually glad his 3DS is broken. Now he won't be able to play anymore, because honestly with me, I don't condone that at all with the blame game.
While its nice to know that other people's misfortunes or personal issues bring you joy, the joke's on you, cuz I got it fixed ages ago. :p

This is all old news, anyway. Only reason I'm replying is because it bothers me when people who dont know what its like to be a certain way try to act like they have all the answers.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Hmm, interesting logic. "people who don't know what its like to be a certain way try to act like they have all the answers."

My issue is, I don't know how to solve my anger issue. I really like playing games... and I hardly if ever attack any person directly... but I have a really big problem with yelling the harshest string of obscenities at my monitor or TV...

It's a rough spot to be in. I wish I wasn't a jack of all trades, that plays 25 different games above average but masters none of them.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Ngl, I've broken a DSi, 2 school iPads, a school laptop and a phone. It sounds so cliche but I finally started to find that noticing when you get irritated is key. I turn off the game and go get a snack or something and that really helps.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
^ If I followed that logic, I'd be shutting off Smash (and thus getting a disconnection ban) as soon as the fight started going sour. lol

It would take an extreme amount of effort (and prayer) to avoid getting mad. And all hell will break loose if I add someone as a friend and they're good enough to keep beating me. I won't learn anything.

I'd probably just delete them off my friend list and find someone who isn't so crazy good. I hate losing lol

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Allow me to at least say that this is the first time I have actually damaged or broken something out of anger over a game. I'm usually never so upset over a game that I'd physically hit or throw something. I tend to just curse at the game.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I destroyed a copy of Black Ops once. I ejected it from my PS3 while it was running, crushed it in my hand, and proceeded to throw it, stab it, and stomp on it for five whole minutes. Then I tore up the instruction book and stabbed it multiple times. I never felt such rage before, nor have I been as angry since. I really need to buy a punching bag lol

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
"You may as welltell us "well, just dont get angry! there, problem solved!" "

Where did I even say that being angry is a problem?
Obviously you can't read carefully because the only conflict I have with people being upset is when they commit immature actions such as yourself.
We all get angry sometimes, but that's no excuse for poor actions.
Unless you're a child.

"While its nice to know that other people's misfortunes or personalissues bring you joy, the joke's on you, cuz I got it fixed ages ago. :p"

No it doesn't, I'm just disgusted with disgruntled tools(such as yourself) in this day and age blaming on stuff other than taking their own responsibility. Then they try to bring it all over media because they have no self control.
Unless you're the type of person that blame video games for violence:
Take responsibility and own up for what you did. Simple.

Okay, you have another 3DS.
Let's see how long this one will last, and how long it will be until you open a another thread or post onto here or elsewhere, bawling and blaming any game once more.

"This is all old news, anyway. Only reason I'm replying is because it bothers me when people who dont know what its like to be a certain way try to act like they have all the answers."

So you already know my morals and what I been through in my life? Didn't you just say:
"it bothers me when people who dont know what its like to be a certain way try to act like they have all the answers." ?
But here you are, acting like you have the answers and obviously don't know what certain way I feel towards this topic.
Hypocrisy.

And do I have all the answers?
No, but me suggesting a solution doesn't make me arrogant.
Because yea, fawk me for trying to advise you another strategy when dealing with anger, right?

It bothers me when people can't own up and try to defend themselves when they get called out on their BS because of petty, meaningless pride.

Anyways, I'm officially done with replying towards you. As of now, you're irrelevant.
This topic and your "points"(if you can even call it that) was a eyesore.

You're probably the type of guy that john's all day, everyday and I have no time for johns

Last edited:
Top Bottom