• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm creating SmashCombos, a combo compendium application, and I need your help to simplify it!

outruncolors

Smash Rookie
Hey SmashBoards,

After I picked up Smash Bros. Ultimate, I found myself wanting a resource that I could use to learn the combos of a specific character. As no standardized resource existed, I saw a potential niche, and I began working on SmashCombos. Relatively quickly, I found myself at a loss for how to best organize the combo interface / addition mechanism, since there's so many variables that go into a combo.

As it stands, you can add the input, the damage done, select a list of tags that apply to the combo, input percentage ranges where it's effective, link to a demonstration of the combo, and add notes, but there's an issue: some combos might work on floatie, lightweight characters at X%, and fast-falling, heavier characters at Y%. I was thinking of having it where there's a "Works on" section, where one can input a specific combination of `fall speed - weight class - percentages`, but I'm not even sure if that's better.

Here's the current interface:

Ultimately, I'd like to get opinions on how to simplify the interface while maintaining the functionality. I really want this to be a useful, open source tool for the community that both helps people learn combos, as well as provide an opportunity for the developers in the community to have a project they can contribute to. If this is against the rules, please let me know, and I will remove it. I plan on becoming more active around SmashBoards as I continue my journey in Ultimate.

Thanks for reading, and happy fighting.

Last edited:

Edgar Chez

Smash Rookie
Hi!, I want helping in the research of combos, i guess i couldn´t help with programming or something D: , but something I can do , any specific char to work?

outruncolors

Smash Rookie
Hi!, I want helping in the research of combos, i guess i couldn´t help with programming or something D: , but something I can do , any specific char to work?
Combo additions are open -- you can enter them for your favorite character now. Just go to smashcombos.com/<character>, click "Add Combo" at the bottom, and enter in the information. Once submitted, I can review and then incorporate the changes. If you don't know where to start, importing from YouTube videos or character discords can be a useful way to track down combos.

Thanks in advance!

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
I was going to start adding stuff to Ken until I realized you cant enter any specific strength tilts or any of his Crazy Kick specials. Think you'd be able to implement these sometime soon?

outruncolors

Smash Rookie
I was going to start adding stuff to Ken until I realized you cant enter any specific strength tilts or any of his Crazy Kick specials. Think you'd be able to implement these sometime soon?
I was talking about this at ultimate shockwave last night. Ken and Ryu are such unique cases — I need to find the best way to incorporate functionality for them.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
I was talking about this at ultimate shockwave last night. Ken and Ryu are such unique cases — I need to find the best way to incorporate functionality for them.
Well ****, good luck with that. I just tried my hand at writing some descriptions (Ken & Pichu) and I'll be sure to throw in some Pichu combos when I have some free time.

outruncolors

Smash Rookie
Well ****, good luck with that. I just tried my hand at writing some descriptions (Ken & Pichu) and I'll be sure to throw in some Pichu combos when I have some free time.
Much appreciated! I’ll get those merged in soon.

One thing I’ve noticed is that people are taking the “damage” field to mean “when does this combo work,” when it really means “damage dealt” (and the percentages are when to use it). I need to change the label to “damage dealt.”

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Much appreciated! I’ll get those merged in soon.

One thing I’ve noticed is that people are taking the “damage” field to mean “when does this combo work,” when it really means “damage dealt” (and the percentages are when to use it). I need to change the label to “damage dealt.”
Ive had trouble in the past trying to convey that through text, it's be nice if there was a range the combo works and how much damage it deals

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Looks good
I was also thinking, what if you put all of Ryu and Ken's unique inputs (IE Light Dtilt, Hard Up Special, Shakunetsu, Nata Otoshi Geri) in their own unique category labeled "Street Fighter"?

Last edited:

Calamitous

Smash Rookie
You should add Directional air dodges as a modifier due to some comboes having them, like Inkling's side special -> jump cancel -> diagonal directional air dodge -> forward smash.

Looking good, I'm gonna be posting some Inkling comboes on there soon.

outruncolors

Smash Rookie
You should add Directional air dodges as a modifier due to some comboes having them, like Inkling's side special -> jump cancel -> diagonal directional air dodge -> forward smash.

Looking good, I'm gonna be posting some Inkling comboes on there soon.
Good point, I'll be doing that.

Top Bottom