• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a young 3DS main going to buy (not preorder) Smash Ultimate. I need help.

RichThe1Kid/Noob

Smash Rookie
As the title said, I'm a young 3ds main, I was around during Brawl but WAYY too young to play it. Most say 3DS is worse in the comp scene because of the bad connection and hated by most due to Sakurai stating that the reason Ice Climbers were cut was because 3DS could not handle it. Anyways, I never played any smash game before 3ds. I need help with 2 questions.
1. Who should I main? In 3DS I switched from Sonic to G&W (thanks grayfruit) to ZSS. I could not afford any DLC at the time so I want to get Ultimate so I can try them out and maybe get the DLC from that game (if there is) but during the meantime in 3ds who should I main? I can't play the top 2 characters, being Bayonetta and Cloud.
2. What Controller do I use? I know obviously not Gamecube controller but is Pro Controller worthy of use beyond Splatoon 2? Is there a 3DS type Controller?
Before anyone says anything, I stated before, I'm young and a noob because I played for 3DS. I might be too young to be on SmashBoards but it's a Nintendo game right? In other words, I suck and I know that, so please keep it down to constructive criticism.

If a mod sees this, I might be too young for SmashBoards and you have all rights to ban me.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
whatever, i think taht for starting, dual joycons will be good enough to play smash anywyas... the more important assets IMO is that you have acces to dual sticks and learn to use them as soon as possible.

Thats why stuff like Single joycon or single wiimote are terrible for this game.

as for character... play a lot of them and see what sticks mostly. I think Ike is an amazing character to start learning neutral and safe pokes though....

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
2. What Controller do I use? I know obviously not Gamecube controller but is Pro Controller worthy of use beyond Splatoon 2? Is there a 3DS type Controller?
Before anyone says anything, I stated before, I'm young and a noob because I played for 3DS. I might be too young to be on SmashBoards but it's a Nintendo game right? In other words, I suck and I know that, so please keep it down to constructive criticism.
Since you played 3DS you should be okay with dual joycons, but the pro controller is one of the best controllers I've used so you can't go wrong there.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The Pro Controller is better to play most games in my opinion. It is the best controller to play Zelda, cause the buttons are bigger and I can run and jump easily without stop the run (this annoys me a lot on the joycons), and the motion controls work perfectly on Zelda too with the pro controller, and the L and R buttons are better to press than in the joycon buttons that are too tiny. It's also more confortable to play Mario Kart 8, just because the analog sticks are bigger and the buttons too.

I dont hate the joycon in any way, but for some games the pro controller is much more confortable. And in Smash, they will really be the best way to play, since it is a game that you really need to punish your controls and I dont think the joy cons will be good to play being so tiny.

I played Smash 4 with the WiiU Pro Controller and it was perfect (the gamepad was not a problem too, it was just unnecessarily bigger, but worked perfectly too). So, the new Pro Controller will be the best way to play too in my opinion.

The GameCube controller is not a option to me because:

1. I think it's very ugly
2. It's wired and it will not be good for friends reunions (being wired Add a risk of accidents with my console and lower confort)
3. It would be a controller that would really just work for Smash, since It hasnt motion controls required in other games.

In my case, I bought 2 Pro Controllers, and I also have 2 pairs of JoyCons. I think I'm really ready to reunite friends to play. Some two will play with the joycon (cause i'm not going to buy more pro controllers to everyone just because it's better - the joycon will work fine for these days of play), and I will play with the Pro Controller when I'm alone.

The only thing favorable to the joycons is the fact you can really stay with free arms while playing, but when you hold a pro controller to play some games, and feel the buttons are just better, you can forget that very easily.

The only thing against the pro controler is the price, that is a bit expensive, but I think It worths.

Oh yeah... there's the fact that some people defend the wired controllers saying that the not wired controllers can have some 1 or 2 frames of delay in comparison with the wired controllers... I dont care about it. 1 frame lost is irrelevant to me, all people play fighting games in all consoles with wireless controllers, I'm not in a professional tournament, I'm not a professional player, I cant notice the lost of 1 frame while playing, my friends and I will play all at the same conditions (all wireless), so I just think this is very irrelevant to me. I will not sacrifice my confort and safety of my console adding a lot of wires on the room at parties with friends because the possibility of loss of 1 frame for not professional players that will not notice it even if they wanted.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
1. Who should I main?
2. What Controller do I use?
1. Not a realistic question. You try characters and discover your preferred playstyle. A main isn't something that can be decided for you.
2. Most of the options work IMO. And Gamecube controllers are an option, so I would use that personally. Pro controller isn't shabby either, but very expensive.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
You use a gamecube controller- and that's final.

Make the switch over to it ASAP.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Gamecube controllers are for people who want to take Smash to the next level. Because it only works for the one game, not recomended for someone not wanting to play competitively. WiiMote and single Joycons suck for obvious reasons. I recomend you put your two Joycons together as one controller, or go with a pro controller. If the game, however, can be controlled with a 3DS, then you can go for it.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
You use a gamecube controller- and that's final.

Make the switch over to it ASAP.
maybe try not to dictate what someone should use and how they should play a game?

if it was meant to be a joke, maybe make that more clear.

Gamecube controllers are for people who want to take Smash to the next level. Because it only works for the one game, not recomended for someone not wanting to play competitively. WiiMote and single Joycons suck for obvious reasons. I recomend you put your two Joycons together as one controller, or go with a pro controller. If the game, however, can be controlled with a 3DS, then you can go for it.
i thought gamecube controllers were continued being made for people who just prefer them while playing smash... smash really became popular around melee, and so a lot of people are used to how the gamecube controller feels, i know i am.

though, i really don't want to deal with all the extra wires needed to use one with the switch, so while i appreciate the fact that they're still around, i'm gonna try to get used to how the pro controller feels with the game.

you can use a gamecube controller and not play competitively... i NEVER played competitively, and i used gamecube controllers for brawl, since it was an option.

just seems silly to label the controller to be for competitive play when it was the control created for an entire console and its library of games... it's the gamecube controller, not "the smash bros competitive controller".

just saying, it's no different than any other controller, except for its familiarity to people.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
maybe try not to dictate what someone should use and how they should play a game?

if it was meant to be a joke, maybe make that more clear.
He asked a question, said he was young, and asked for help. I'm telling him the truth... there is no better controller for Smash than the gamecube controller. If he didn't want people to dictate their opinions... he wouldn't ask. And since you're considering not using a gamecube controller, I give you the same feedback... GCN controller or bust. There is no reason in not starting your training with proper muscle memory on a proper controller. I can play on 3ds I can play on the gamepad, your ceiling will be limited it's not personal opinion, the gamecube controller is objectively better for the game- it's not required, it's just better and if he's young he should start ASAP and just get over the small learning curve.

If he didn't care that much about his Smash, why would he ask?

I hope he has fun with the game at whatever level, but I'm strongly suggesting you get over the hump and pick up a gamecube controller when they come out... you will thank me later.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering you used the 3DS, a GameCube Controller isn't that easy to adapt to in comparison. I'd suggest starting with the regular Switch controller, whether the full system or the regular controller it comes with while docked. This'll be something you're used to. Eventually, other controllers like the Pro and GameCube might start to become easier as you practice with the wireless Switch controller. Though they aren't necessary at all, as the wireless Switch controller does an amazing job at being comfortable.

For mains, Sonic got some notable changes like making his Homing Attack take a bit longer and some of his moves aren't as strong. I haven't seen Game & Watch gameplay. A lot of characters got changes in general, so I'd try some out. Ganondorf is more like his Melee self, which is much faster compared to his super slow variant in Brawl and 3DS/Wii U. He also has new sword attacks that are similar but distinct from his Smash attacks(I think they're still similar to his Melee/Brawl moves, though only his Up Smash saw any significant changes in Brawl and 3DS. I haven't watched enough footage yet). Have you practiced with other characters?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
IF you have access to the wii u version, then try all the controllers you can and see what works best for you.
IF you plan to play competitively, investing in a gamecube controller IS the best option, but there's a good amount of people who use other controllers too, you don't need to worry too much about it, you can start with what you have and feel more comfortable with.

Try the various characters with the new controller(s) you want to use, and see who you like more. You're going to be the one that knows that, and you can only prepare so much for Ultimate; you'll see more when you play the actual game which direction you want to go.

last advice: Don't only listen to others' advice. Learn to find your own style. ;)

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
If you've never used a GameCube controller for Smash before, you'll be okay adapting to the gamepad, or the pro controller if you have it for Splatoon already. If you have both, you can use which one feels better for you.

The GameCube controller is massively popular in Smash for a reason, but I think from the 3DS, you don't really have anywhere to go but up in terms of controllers (with a few, ahem, obsolete exceptions). You'll likely have an easier time adjusting to it than someone who's used to GC and has to take a step back. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some game stores in your area might have it set up to try out when it's released. The lines will be long but if you get a chance to try it with the GameCube controller there, see if you like it enough to pick up or if you think you'll suffice for the time being. You'll be fine if you're playing casual, but look into GC at some point in the future. It's a fan-favourite, and it's almost unanimously loved, especially competitively.

As other people here stated already, play around with every character and main whoever you like best. The mains I'm seeing so far on this thread are spread out pretty decently between people (solid amount of Ganondorf love, that's pretty cool to see). It's completely up to you and your playstyle. We can't be unique for you, that's yours to figure out. Just have fun with it.

Don't worry too much about tier lists if it's preventing you from maining a character you like more, those are more guides than rules. If you're not good with Bayonetta or Cloud, don't main either. You shouldn't have to feel obligated to be good with anybody specifically. Having your own style and comparing it with other people is the fun part. I've faced some ridiculously talented bottom-tier mains. They're more rare, but they exist. I've also beaten high-tier mains with low-tier characters I'm good with, too. It's up to you, that's your own personal style. You'll know what feels right.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
He asked a question, said he was young, and asked for help. I'm telling him the truth... there is no better controller for Smash than the gamecube controller. If he didn't want people to dictate their opinions... he wouldn't ask. And since you're considering not using a gamecube controller, I give you the same feedback... GCN controller or bust. There is no reason in not starting your training with proper muscle memory on a proper controller. I can play on 3ds I can play on the gamepad, your ceiling will be limited it's not personal opinion, the gamecube controller is objectively better for the game- it's not required, it's just better and if he's young he should start ASAP and just get over the small learning curve.

I hope he has fun with the game at whatever level, but I'm strongly suggesting you get over the hump and pick up a gamecube controller when they come out... you will thank me later.
people like you seriously anger me...

and i'd suggest this: don't tell me, or others, what to do...

i will play the game however i wish, and i HIGHLY recommend everyone else play how they want, not how someone else wants them to play.

you're literally telling people to play by your rules, or not at all... and that is crossing a line.

there is a BIG difference between asking for help and opinions, and offering yourself up as a slave to a dictator.

suggesting ideas is one thing, but i don't like when people take it to the extreme and literally tell others to do a certain thing, or don't even bother playing a game, you're attempting to take away their freedom on the matter.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
people like you seriously anger me...

and i'd suggest this: don't tell me, or others, what to do...

i will play the game however i wish, and i HIGHLY recommend everyone else play how they want, not how someone else wants them to play.

you're literally telling people to play by your rules, or not at all... and that is crossing a line.

there is a BIG difference between asking for help and opinions, and offering yourself up as a slave to a dictator.

suggesting ideas is one thing, but i don't like when people take it to the extreme and literally tell others to do a certain thing, or don't even bother playing a game, you're attempting to take away their freedom on the matter.
Lol

“it's not required, it's just better and if he's young he should start ASAP and just get over the small learning curve.“

Is what I said. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Let’s stop talking. You have preconceived notions of who I am and what I think and are too fragile for me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

You're wrong btw. Wii U Pro was superior in every objective metric but two, input delay (being wireless, it had about 5-10 ms more delay or half a frame, which would translate to 1 frame slower inputs 40% of the time) and octagonal edges around the left control stick.

Switch Pro is also objectively better than GCC in every objective metric except for the octagonal rigs, with input delay still needing to be tested to correctly measure which is better. I tested input delay on Pokken and Switch Pro has actually less input delay when played wired than the GCC though. But some of the pro players that played at the invitational were complaining about input lag in Smash (which I didn't notice myself when playing the demo, but I don't want to go by "feeling", once I get the game I will objectively measure which one has more input delay).

To be thorough:

1-) Stick placement, button size/placement, stick "smoothess", controller shape, controller size is all subjective.
2-) Digital Shoulders - Pro controllers objectively better (faster input).
3-) Face Button Responsiveness (Clickiness) - Pro controllers objectively better (faster inputs).
4-) Left Stick Sensitivity/Amount of Inputs - Pro controllers objectively better (Give more room for different angles. It's easier to walk. It's easier to platform drop. Easier to SDI).
5-) Number of buttons - Pro controllers objectively better (allowing for you to customize your controls in ways that allows for stuff that would be literally impossible in the GCC)
6-) Number of buttons that can be pressed at the same time (X + Y, A + B) - Pro controllers objectively better (With the new macros present in Smash Ultimate, someone who customizes their controls could get a ton of use of the position of the face buttons).
7-) Octagonal Ridges - GCC objectively better (allows for easier time inputting precise angles.)
8-) Input Delay - Still needs to be tested in Smash

The problem with "conventional wisdom" is that once it is not true anymore all of the people who never actually "analyzed" why that conventional wisdom was actually true, will keep on believing this conventional wisdom forever. And because conventional wisdom is literally what the majority believes to be true, this conventional wisdom will remain "real" for as long as people don't care to actually think for themselves.

There's a reason most people need to "claw" in Melee or hold the controller with the middle finger on the shield instead of the index. Yet with the Wii U Pro (and the Switch Pro) you could do all those things that require clawing or middle finger holding with a regular, comfortable hold and even (if you customize your controls) do it without moving a single finger off a button. Can you imagine that? You can perform every input in the game without moving a single finger, instead of having to screw up your hand immensely doing a lot of wrist/finger movements in order to get all the inputs you need? Yea, GCC is the "best" controller for sure...

At the end of the day, what will kill or make this controller is input delay. I used a GCC in Smash 4 because I didn't want a 1 frame input delay, there were just some scenarios where I needed instant reactions (ledge traps, ledge trumps and whiff punishes mostly). If the Switch Pro proves to have less input delay though, there would be 0 reason for me not to use it. I might make my own octagonal ridge for it too.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
“I might make my own octagonal ridge for it too” then that’s not a standard controller is it...

You just shut yourself down. Rigs on the sticks is not just 1 little metric, it’s major. I’m not reading everything you wrote. The first and last paragraph was enough.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
“I might make my own octagonal ridge for it too” then that’s not a standard controller is it...

You just shut yourself down. Rigs on the sticks is not just 1 little metric, it’s major. I’m not reading everything you wrote. The first and last paragraph was enough.
Lmao. You do realize pros take off springs (cut them in half) from GCC and add in notches to the octagonal ridge for platform dropping right? So they also "modify" it to be more like the Pro controllers (allowing more angles, closer to digital triggers).

I love how I prove you wrong and all you can say is "I won't read that". This is the response of someone who will forever remain ignorant in all matters in his life.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
You are however required to be civil and respect other opinions. You show zero interest in that and are creating a toxic thread. Just remember that not everybody needs to view things your way.
Lmao. You do realize pros take off springs (cut them in half) from GCC and add in notches to the octagonal ridge for platform dropping right? So they also "modify" it to be more like the Pro controllers (allowing more angles, closer to digital triggers).

I love how I prove you wrong and all you can say is "I won't read that". This is the response of someone who will forever remain ignorant in all matters in his life.
You didn’t prove anything wrong. I’m not required to read every word of some nobody if the first paragraph proves the rest is a waste of my time.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
You didn’t prove anything wrong. I’m not required to read every word of some nobody if the first paragraph proves the rest is a waste of my time.
Nope, his first paragraph was just a statement about how the WiiU Pro-Controller ist objectiveley better than the GCC, which he then follows up with an easy to understand explanation why that is. To say that the first paragraph in and of itself "proves" that the rest is a waste of time, tells more about yourself than the actual content that you ignored.

But hey, it's always easier to stay in your bubble and tell others you won't listen to them than to actually address their arguments. Proves to me that you don't know how to argue.

Btw, I prefer the GCC over WiiU Pro Controller and the WiiU Pro Controller over the Switch Pro Controller. I still think that Raykz' argument is absolutely sound and valid. Still gonna continue playing with GCC, just because I like it so much and because I'm not even a competitive player, but won't deny facts.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Nope, he was objectively wrong in the first statements. The second he said the octagonal edges, I stopped caring about what he had to say. I don't have to prove to you or any little snot nosed internet buffoon that I can argue. You go waste your time reading all the paragraphs you want- not for me.

Count every GCC at a tournament vs Pro controller, there's a reason you prefer GCC... you are denying facts.

I'm not wasting my time further with this. Cya

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Nope, he was objectively wrong in the first statements. The second he said the octagonal edges, I stopped caring about what he had to say. I don't have to prove to you or any little snot nosed internet buffoon that I can argue.
You can't even keep to the same story. First you said you stopped reading after the first paragraph. After telling you, that the first paragraph doesn't even entail anything that gives you any reason to stop reading the rest, you start talking about the first "statements". If you can't even articulate yourself in a coherent way, then I think actually arguing is still a long way off. You seem to change your statements as quickly as you start using insults when unable to respond properly. XD

Count every GCC at a tournament vs Pro controller, there's a reason you prefer GCC... you are denying facts.
Wow, an ad populum-argument. I'm impressed....
And yes, there IS a reason i prefer the GCC, it fits nicely into my hands, I like how it looks and I prefer wired controllers over wireless ones (because I don't need to recharge those).

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Oh no, I said first paragraph when I read 2... and couldn't be bothered to give the person enough time to go back and check. What will we do with ourselves with my error, I'm not passing the argument authorities- because you think I'm giving that person and this argument as much care as you did. This is moronic- use a wii mote for all I care

cya

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Use whatever controller feels best to you and just focus on getting good with it. Some controllers have advantages over others, yes, but at the end of the day, there are pro players who use GCC, Wii U Pro Controller, and even Wiimote + Nunchuk. It's not so much about the controller so much as it is how comfortable you are with it and how much time you're willing to put in.

As for mains, you seem to like fast-ish characters (Sonic/ZSS), and also enjoy having zoning options/some jank (G+W), so I think Bayonetta would actually be a decent choice. Other than that, Inklings, Shiek or Snake might do the trick. Sort of the same thing with controllers though; your best bet is to play around and find something that clicks for you. Sorry it's not the most definitive advice but it's what works.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If a mod sees this, I might be too young for SmashBoards and you have all rights to ban me.
Nah, you're cool. :088:

As was said, if you've just used the 3DS scheme, I'd go with just using the joycons to start. the GC controllers probably are the better option for most people, but especially if money's an issue, just stick with the joycons and get good with them. Maybe try a GC controller if others have a spare you can borrow and try it out.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I did prove you wrong, you just don't know it and can't actually argue if I did or not because you don't know the rest of my post according to you :D.

Nope, he was objectively wrong in the first statements. The second he said the octagonal edges, I stopped caring about what he had to say. I don't have to prove to you or any little snot nosed internet buffoon that I can argue. You go waste your time reading all the paragraphs you want- not for me.

I'm not wasting my time further with this. Cya
Preference is subjective. Most people prefer GCC because that's what others prefer and that's what they see everyone using, so it's what they start using too. Muscle memory is a real thing, and a lot of people just don't want to have to start from scratch with a new controller. Until there is a need for all of the better attributes the Pro controller has over the GCC, no one will switch.

For example, if the new Pro controller has less input delay than the GCC and some new tech is discovered that requires the use of buttons in a way the GCC can't achieve at all, that's when people will start switching over. Until that happens, people who are used to the GCC don't have a reason to switch over, and new people who enter the scene will just go with what seems to be the "correct" controller, IE: The most popular one.

The fact still remains that the GCC literally has many things it cannot achieve (at least not with ease). I can tell you that playing Melee on a PC emulator with a Pro controller, it is extremely easy to Waveshine people across the map or do Shine -> JC Shine -> JC Shine very easily, when those are said to be hard to learn and execute by the Melee community (I don't even play Melee). The Pro controller's layout makes it extremely easy to perform all those "hard" techs, which are only hard literally because of the way the buttons are layed out in the GCC. It's the same reason everyone who was using Bidou in Smash 4 used a Pro controller and no one that used a GCC was able to use Bidou without using some really uncomfortable hand grip/position.

Last edited:
Guys, he’s a young kid, he’s not going to read a long explanation. No offense R RichThe1Kid/Noob

1. You should always go with a controller you are comfortable with. Whether it’s Pro Controller, Joycons, or GameCube controller. And while it’s not preferred by everyone, the GameCube controller is great when you get used to it. It’s buttons are straight forward, most of the best players use it, and they make them for smash.

2. You should play characters you are comfortable with. I would recommend playing with as many characters as you can. Of course, it’s important to play with a top tier character on the side if you want to compete, so pick one up on the side.

My advice:

When you’re playing with against good players, learning simple things like short hop attacks are good. Start learning how to use your “c-stick” for aerial attacks; it will help in the long run, and give you greater control of your character.

And the character you play isn’t as important as playing smart. This is a fighting game, so learning how your opponent plays, outsmarting him, and learning from your mistakes are important. Even if you lose, take it as an opportunity to learn and improve. Watch videos on YouTube to help you understand things like “mind games” and “spacing”.

And most importantly, have fun dude. Welcome to Smashboard! :)

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
About the characters you should play.. No one can decide for you. I can just say how I choose mine. I started playing the characters I like the most, because I play a lot of games with them, like the basics: Mario, Link, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Pikachu, Mega Man, Peach, Samus and some others. I was never able to adapt to the gameplay of Mega Man, Peach or Sonic, but thankfully, I really liked Mario, Link, Diddy and Pikachu. So I think it all depends on the characters you like and then if you will like the gameplay of these characters in Smash. After get you ass kicked many times by some other characters that you are not used to games, you will eventually try them and maybe learn more characters.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
i thought gamecube controllers were continued being made for people who just prefer them while playing smash... smash really became popular around melee, and so a lot of people are used to how the gamecube controller feels, i know i am.

though, i really don't want to deal with all the extra wires needed to use one with the switch, so while i appreciate the fact that they're still around, i'm gonna try to get used to how the pro controller feels with the game.

you can use a gamecube controller and not play competitively... i NEVER played competitively, and i used gamecube controllers for brawl, since it was an option.

just seems silly to label the controller to be for competitive play when it was the control created for an entire console and its library of games... it's the gamecube controller, not "the smash bros competitive controller".

just saying, it's no different than any other controller, except for its familiarity to people.
I would say that GameCube controllers are just competitive controllers at this point because their uses outside this one game are now obsolete. Many of the famous titles like Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion received HD ports, so most people aren't going back to their GameCube console any time soon. These controllers are now only relevant for Smash Melee and all successors. The controller is out of date for all other uses as shown by the fact that built in system support has been cut completely. You need to but an adapter just to use it for any Smash game after Brawl. I don't think anyone would buy this product anymore for any reason other than to play Smash with a familiar or optimal controller.

Given all of this and the fact that it is the most optimal controller for this game, I think it deserves to be called the competitive controller.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
About the discussion with gamecube controllers, Nintendo accidentally made them compatible with all Switch games so they aren't only compatible with Smash Bros.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Given all of this and the fact that it is the most optimal controller for this game, I think it deserves to be called the competitive controller.
except that isn't true.

please don't become another wiley, this topic has become toxic enough, and i am sick of hearing the word "competitive", honestly... keep your competitive nature to tournaments and out of everyday life, especially when it comes to personal opinions, they're not facts.

and again, to the topic creator, just play with whatever is most comfortable for you, and enjoy the game, don't worry about becoming good at it right away, you're still a child... have fun.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
To those saying you can't use gamecube cintrollers with other games. Didn't some games get updated with gamecube controller support, like Mariokart

Edit: nevermind, looked over the one comment mentioning it oops

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
To those saying you can't use gamecube cintrollers with other games. Didn't some games get updated with gamecube controller support, like Mariokart

Edit: nevermind, looked over the one comment mentioning it oops
They can be used, but they don't have motion controls, so in some games you may be limited in some actions, like in Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
When it comes to finding your mains just try all the caracters, you’re bound to find someone that fits your playstyle or you just love said chatacter’s moveset, if you don’t know where to start, just try first characters from games you played, what designs you like, etc.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Each character has a different play style. Honestly I suggest playing each character, see wich character has a play style you like and play them more in depth. You can have more than main. I mean it is better to good with more than one character.

RichThe1Kid/Noob

Smash Rookie
I AM BACK!

Alright, to address topic #1. They absolutely buffed G&W and most people tell me that if you can't choose a main, choose one you like by looks. This works especially in Ultimate because of how balanced it is (NoT HERO FRICK HERO), thank you sakurai, and G&W just always interested me as the oldest character, but still a possible character in a FIGHTING game, He's amazing too, many people like Albino and grayfruit are really showing off his true potential, which kind of inspired me. My side bruh is Mr. Expand Dong Donkey Kong. He's like K. Rool, (which I like) but a little bit more floaty to compare to his little less mobility and range.

#2. Gamecube controllers are for people who PLAYED MELEE. I need to get that out there. To play with control sticks all of my history playing smash just to switch pun intended to a controller that wears out easier. Even the remake controller for Ultimate that's not wired is not a good idea for someone who hasn't even touched it before. Also, I tend to find, especially at smashcon, people actually like pro controllers and use it over gamecube controllers for multiple reasons. I'd love to see your opinions on everything! JoyconBoys (also i swear to god if banjo is the next bayonetta i am CALLING IT.)

Top Bottom