• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a newbie and I need help about what I exactly need to improve.

FunnyP

Smash Rookie
NNID
sarah97400
Hi, I am new to the game (but I watch melee and ultimate esport scene for about 1 year) and I (try to) main jigglypuff but I really struggle winning my matches, I know that I am doing a lot of errors and that I'm bad at the game but I dont really know what I need to work/improve on, even when I look my previous matches. I have 2 matches replay right now but I can do another matches and save the replay if needed (it just take long to upload), I just need to know what is wrong on my gameplay and (maybe) some tips, thanks already if you are answering my thread, I absolutly love this game, this is why I want to improve...

https://youtu.be/POP5I2rnjZ4

https://youtu.be/OEN8xKXUebY

Thanks!

Nah

Smash Champion
If you're new to things, you will simply get better in time as you gain experience and learn more in general, to some degree anyway. It would also be a good idea to visit the Jigglypuff boards on this site and/or go to the Jiggs Discord server (which I don't have a link to) to get help from other Jiggs players.

One thing I will say though is that while common advice to newer players is often "analyze your replays" and "watch a high level player of your main", these things aren't initially as useful as they might seem to be, it's like trying to learn calculus when you've only just mastered basic arithmetic. You need a solid foundation first in order for those two things to be of any help.

FunnyP

Smash Rookie
NNID
sarah97400
If you're new to things, you will simply get better in time as you gain experience and learn more in general, to some degree anyway. It would also be a good idea to visit the Jigglypuff boards on this site and/or go to the Jiggs Discord server (which I don't have a link to) to get help from other Jiggs players.

One thing I will say though is that while common advice to newer players is often "analyze your replays" and "watch a high level player of your main", these things aren't initially as useful as they might seem to be, it's like trying to learn calculus when you've only just mastered basic arithmetic. You need a solid foundation first in order for those two things to be of any help.
Ho yes, I tend to be too much impatient and want to be good instantly, I need to let the time do the work :), plus I'm on joy cons (lmao) but I will get a pro controller soon so I think it will be easier for me to play/land combos. I actually didnt knew there was a puff discord server, I'm gonna try to join it. Thank you very much :D

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think combos and advantage state are what you need work on. I noticed you seemed to pretty exclusively hit-and-run, rather than stringing your attacks together. Also, you should work on mixing things up more. I noticed your opponent seemed pretty comfortable and was calling you out on a lot of things. You use Sing too often and always got called out for it - try to save that move for only when you're pretty certain on a read. It's too laggy to make plentiful use of. I think you need to familiarize yourself with Puff's movement, because you missed very often when trying to approach.

Last edited:

FunnyP

Smash Rookie
NNID
sarah97400
I think combos and advantage state are what you need work on. I noticed you seemed to pretty exclusively hit-and-run, rather than stringing your attacks together. Also, you should work on mixing things up more. I noticed your opponent seemed pretty comfortable and was calling you out on a lot of things. You use Sing too often and always got called out for it - try to save that move for only when you're pretty certain on a read. It's too laggy to make plentiful use of. I think you need to familiarize yourself with Puff's movement, because you missed very often when trying to approach.
Damn, thanks a lot, this is exactly the type of comment I was searching, I already know that I need to work on combos but I find them a little hard (it took me 3 days to learn 1 lol) but I hope it will be easier by the time goes on. When I was looking on my matches replay I knew that something was very wrong in my way to play but I couldnt exactly find it, but now it seems clear for me, thats effectly the advantage state and the fact that I almost only use hit and run, I'm gonna try to work really hard on that and try to mix more my gameplay. Anyway, thank you again, thats really helping me :)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Damn, thanks a lot, this is exactly the type of comment I was searching, I already know that I need to work on combos but I find them a little hard (it took me 3 days to learn 1 lol) but I hope it will be easier by the time goes on. When I was looking on my matches replay I knew that something was very wrong in my way to play but I couldnt exactly find it, but now it seems clear for me, thats effectly the advantage state and the fact that I almost only use hit and run, I'm gonna try to work really hard on that and try to mix more my gameplay. Anyway, thank you again, thats really helping me :)
You're welcome! I wish you the best going forward :)

Top Bottom