• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I'm a casual (Question-Ish)

D

Deleted member

Im really not good enough to be in the competitve scene so yea im casual...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A fair majority of the people on Smashboards I'd argue are casuals, including the Staff members. Being casual doesn't mean that you don't want to get better at a game you enjoy.

Definitely check out the Competitive & Character boards if you're looking for tips & tricks.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wait, if you’re a casual? How did you even find Smashboards? AAAAHHHHH!!!

I’m joking. I’m a semi casual. I like playing both competitively and casually.

Nednac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4570-8194-1193
Wait, if you’re a casual? How did you even find Smashboards? AAAAHHHHH!!!

I’m joking. I’m a semi casual. I like playing both competitively and casually.
Well, I found this because of Melee lite. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
A fair majority of the people on Smashboards I'd argue are casuals, including the Staff members. Being casual doesn't mean that you don't want to get better at a game you enjoy.

Definitely check out the Competitive & Character boards if you're looking for tips & tricks.
Truly, what is the definition of Competitive vs. Casual?

D

Deleted member

It's nice to just sit back and relax and not have to worry about winning.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I do have fun, I don't worry about winning, but I still always try my hardest to win!

However, because I have never been to a tournament or even been able to use any sort of online play (except SSF2 online, which sucks), I have a hard time calling myself a competitive player.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
A fair majority of the people on Smashboards I'd argue are casuals, including the Staff members.
Not true. To be a member of staff you actually have to have a fairly high ranking on For Glory, won at least 4 local tournaments or one regional or higher and unlocked Sonic in Melee. Twice.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Please PM Xiivi with video footage of each requirement.

Nednac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4570-8194-1193
User was warned for this post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Truly, what is the definition of Competitive vs. Casual?
I'd say how serious you take it. I'd call myself a competitive melee player because I have daily tech practice routines and travel out of region for tourneys and go to majors and what not. I play smash 4 casually because I don't really have practice routines I just play against other people for fun and occasionally enter a tourney if I'm already there for melee or it's like in my hometown.

Last edited:

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I consider myself competitively casual in every game. I don't intend to go compete every week but I like the competitive (in some games the MLG settings over regular settings) settings, the higher tier characters, the official tournament stages, stocks, time limit, no items etc. I don't feel competitive bc I'm not competing. I'd have to travel a fair distance for any tourney let alone big ones. But I still watch all the super majors and a lot of the majors and keep trying to improve and implement more tech skill and better option selection. I've always felt like I walk the line between competitive and casual. I've only been to one tourney, a 1-day regional and it was a blast. Just played friendlies the whole time.
But among my group of IRL friends every one of them is casual even though they also went to the tourney with me. In the end I don't think it matters how seriously you take the game. Most all of us are playing/watching just for the love of the game. There's already enough divisiveness between Melee and Sm4sh, soon to be Melee and Sma5h, we don't need to differentiate between competitive and casual. (FYI I play predominantly Melee, but my IRL friends prefer Sm4sh so the few times I play with them it's Sm4sh and at a casual level even if I'm trying to play with advanced techniques.)
Can you be a serious casual? Do you have to compete or want to compete to be competitive?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I think just having a desire to learn can label some players as competitive.

Top Bottom