• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Illinois Smashers?

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
want to start going and attending competitive Project M and Melee, but since I live around the Kankakee/Iroquois Counties, it seems rather difficult. Nobody around here really plays anything, and even then, the people I know that do play, are casuals. I don't really have anyone to fight against and find I have to play practice cpu matches most of the time. Either way, I'd like to attend a smash meetup or whatever (not a big tourney like Evo or Apex, not ready for something like that, but something small just to get started in the scene) since I did train a little online, I want to see how far I've gotten. If anyone knows places to look at for this stuff, that would be rather helpful. Heck, I Skype/Hangout stuff works too, but either way, any and all help is appreciated!

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
There's a place in Oak Park, Illinois called EXP Gaming. They host weekly and monthly smash tournaments. http://smashboards.com/threads/jul-2-2014-exp-summer-pm-ladder-oak-park-il.358740/

I personally have only been there twice, but it was a blast. I lurk their stream though, and it will be streaming tonight if you're interested in watching to see what you're getting into. They stream on Windy City Smash on Twitch. Also, be sure to check out EXP Gaming Lounge's Facebook page and the Chicagoland Melee group on Facebook while you're at it.

It's actually a really active region and it's growing. I hope to become more of a part of it in the near future. I just hope Oak Park isn't too far for you where you live. It's the closest thing I know off the top of my head though. Hope it helps!

Chaosphere

Smash Rookie
hey Golden,

smash noob here. But I'm quite proficient with fighting games. Just picking up melee after watching evo and the documentary. I plan on taking it very seriously. I live in Peoria, so I'm not sure how far away that is for you. Anyways, I'm going to be going through some growing pains at first, but I'm a quick learner and seriously don't mind getting stomped on until I get better. I catch up pretty quickly.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Sorry I took so long to reply, I've been extremely busy lately. Anyways, I'm thinking of waiting until SSB4 comes out to actually go competitive, that way I can learn my character/characters and be on a somewhat equal footing with several other people. Peoria is a good 2 hours and a half away from me, and the fact that I myself don't have a license yet, which yes, I know, I'm 19 without a license, you're probably thinking "dafuq?" Well for being in a vehicle in general being a major phobia of mine, and actually driving making that worse, it's been difficult to get over and finally get my license (Considering the fact I got my permit last year, since my Driver's Ed teacher failed me freshman year for getting an F on a project she told us hardly anything about, sophmore year for not doing my work because I was going through some things at the time, and finally letting me pass junior year, and with me hardly getting time to drive all that much senior year, it's more or less being forced down now). Enough about cars and driving though, I recently did a friendly PM tournament (Forgetting that it was the same time as the SSB4 Invitational sadly) with several people I knew that have played (Basically they were from the range of casual to casual-competitive), which I won in singles (Mainly because I take training for PM to the extreme and practice for over 2 hours a day), and placed 3rd in doubles (My friend only had an hour of experience and showed up late, so he didn't get really any practice in, but even I slipped up forgetting that it was supposed to be a team effort and not knowing a good strategy to go by). Hopefully I can go to this Oak Park at some point, but that is still about an hour and 45 minutes away from me.

MrHecticGamer

Smash Rookie
I'm from Rantoul Illinois, which is fairly clsoe to Kankakee. I'm trying to find more people to play with (in person) to get better and see how more people play. More tournies in Illinois are 2-3 hours away from me (North by Chicago) or South (Oak Park) and it's hard to find the time and gas money to be able to attend them. I think I have a natural talent at adapting to fighting games. I became very good at injustice quickly. I was decent at SSF4 for how long I played, and with smash I played against my friends who have been practicing for years and was able to do very well if not beat them.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
If you could drive, there is a place called Gamers HQ that hosts friendlies and tournaments every Sunday, and a large tournament every first Friday of the month. It's quite the drive though, it's at Third Lake. Here's the link to their website:

http://www.gamershq.net/|

If you could come, seeya there! I play Mario/Yoshi, and use the Club Nintendo Mario Controller.

Numjoy

Smash Cadet
hey Golden,

smash noob here. But I'm quite proficient with fighting games. Just picking up melee after watching evo and the documentary. I plan on taking it very seriously. I live in Peoria, so I'm not sure how far away that is for you. Anyways, I'm going to be going through some growing pains at first, but I'm a quick learner and seriously don't mind getting stomped on until I get better. I catch up pretty quickly.
Wait you are from Peoria? Contact me!

Numjoy

Smash Cadet
hey Golden,

Actually wait. You are in my crew hahahahaha.

Cloudforlife

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm pretty good at ssb4 Wii U and 3ds. I live in Illinois also and need help finding a tourney to play in. I'm only 16 so I cant travel that far. And I don't mean Super competitive matches. Something Friendly :4cloud::bee:
BTW I live in chicagoland

Top Bottom