• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's worst possible matchup

probablydrugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightysul
3DS FC
2809-9728-4432
So I get that shiek is kind of a pain but it seems like Ike doesn't have that many bad matchups. What would you consider Ikes absolute worst possible matchup to be and why?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Personally,

1. Snake - makes you play extremely careful by forcing you to understand how his projectiles can hit you and where you can move on stage. Basically, I do best when people approach me - Snake almost never has to do that.

2. DDD - Similar to Snake with his vertical zoning ability due to multiple jumps and Waddle Dee/Doo/Gordo control. Doesn't care at all about "good" recovery, because he's a flying penguin with a big hammer. Also, throw mixups suck.

3. Pit - Sheik with wings. And multiple jumps. I'm just glad basically no one uses him anymore.

Anyone please feel free to disagree with me.

Last edited:

probablydrugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightysul
3DS FC
2809-9728-4432
3.0 pitt was dumb so I am glad they nerfed him. It seems like anyone with good zoning he has a hard time with. Am I safe in making that assumption?

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I've never faced a Pit so I don't know about Pit, but I would agree with Moy. Basically any character that can duck Ike's grab is a huge pain to deal with, luckily almost no Snakes abuse crouch. Kirby is known to be pretty bad. Also, a Fox that knows the Ike MU is one of if not the worst of Ike's MUs.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I've never faced a Pit so I don't know about Pit, but I would agree with Moy. Basically any character that can duck Ike's grab is a huge pain to deal with, luckily almost no Snakes abuse crouch. Kirby is known to be pretty bad. Also, a Fox that knows the Ike MU is one of if not the worst of Ike's MUs.
Small characters aren't the most fun to play, I'll agree with you there. At least you can get easy damage on Fox and get him offstage from a grab. Playing against Kirby, Squirtle, etc. is all about walling out and mixing up patterns in neutral.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
IMHO:

I want to say Ike's worst matchup is Dedede based on watching and knowledge of the characters, but I haven't personally played it. I have played others though, so:

Kirby: Second worst matchup, extremely difficult to do anything to. They crouch and you can barely touch them, hard to grab, hard to combo, hard to kill, and kirby gets super free gimps on us. Watch DJ Nintendo & metroid vs Chudat and you can tell how ridiculously hard this matchup is, and chudat didn't abuse crouching afaik.

Fox: Also extremely bad but not as bad as kirby for me, the good ones will camp you with nair, dashdance and lasers and make it very difficult to get a grab or solid hit on them. Once you put them in a bad spot it's easy to combo them but it rarely happens to good players. I've played campy foxes who have a good idea of what they're doing and they make your life hell till you're relying on QDA to get them every once in awhile. You'll whiff nairs and fairs against good ones or just get stuffed outright with nair or running shine.
The bad foxes (most of them) will make this matchup seem bearable or doable, it's not when you play a good one.

Based on my experience sheik is doable, she can't get down in the air and if you know how to DI and don't run into stuff it's not too bad.

Quaza

Smash Cadet
Personally I think Sheik is his worst matchup. It's essentially like Marth Sheik in melee but you have a crap version of dtilt. It sucks.
Other than Sheik I think Kirby is the worst followed by Fox. Like Sylarius said fighting a bad Fox is no problem but I played Zhu and Cactuar in the matchup and it felt unwinnable.
I don't think DDD is that difficult personally. I've played the matchup a lot and it's not too bad. DDD gains an advantage against a lot of characters by living to ridiculous percents and Ike can kill him essentially whenever he wants. Waddles aren't that effective if you know how to avoid them and you can easily control stage as all of DDD's attacks are so slow. If you let him get you offstage then you are dead but you should be able to control the stage more often than not.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I don't think DDD is that difficult personally. I've played the matchup a lot and it's not too bad. DDD gains an advantage against a lot of characters by living to ridiculous percents and Ike can kill him essentially whenever he wants. Waddles aren't that effective if you know how to avoid them and you can easily control stage as all of DDD's attacks are so slow. If you let him get you offstage then you are dead but you should be able to control the stage more often than not.
The main reason why I struggle against DDD is that his Waddles prevent most grounded approaches, he's incredibly fat, and his aerials have good priority; it's difficult to avoid getting forced into the air to avoid his Waddles and subject yourself to either getting sharked with UAir/NAir/FAir or crouch-canceled if you try to come back down with an aerial when he's at low-mid %s. He's also really good at edgeguarding Ike since Waddles cover QD and he can go out for BAirs relatively easily if Ike tries to Aether.

Last edited:
Top Bottom