• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Stage Discussion: #15: Delfino Cruise

DOMON!!!

Smash Rookie
Ike's best stage is definitely Hanenbow. He can kill exceptionally early, he can spike with dtilt easily, it prevents rollspamming to dodge fsmash, eruption, and usmash. But Spear Pillar is definitely a close second.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ike's best stage is definitely Hanenbow. He can kill exceptionally early, he can spike with dtilt easily, it prevents rollspamming to dodge fsmash, eruption, and usmash. But Spear Pillar is definitely a close second.
While this may be true, it's unfortunate that both Hanenbow and Spear Pillar are banned by the SBR's Recommended Rule List; therefore, most (if not all) tournaments will have those two stages banned.

DOMON!!!

Smash Rookie
Wow, what the hell is with that rule list? They have warioware banned, are they TRYING to take all the fun out of the game?

DOMON!!!

Smash Rookie
Well I may not be a high and mighty smash journeyman like you but I'm pretty sure that stating my opinion doesn't constitute being a troll.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wow, what the hell is with that rule list? They have warioware banned, are they TRYING to take all the fun out of the game?
Competitive Smash strives to take the randomness and brokenness out of battles; that is why items are off, because they have random spawn points and some are simply overpowered (Golden Hammer, Smashball, Bomb-omb, etc.). Stages are the same; Warioware is banned because even if you win a minigame, you may or may not get the reward. Even then, the reward is random; it is completely unfair for both players to win the minigame then have one person get a star and the other a giant mushroom. Spear Pillar is banned because some of the Pokemon's abilities can severely disrupt the match (such as making the stage tilt when you're trying to recover) and because of the "circuit" design; that is, a fast character like Fox could use his lasers to get the % lead and then run in circles for the entire match. Admittedly, the stage hazards such as the lasers can temporarily stop this, but it is not enough to constitute the stage from being viable for tournament play. I have not played on Hanenbow very much, but I'm guessing that it's because the stage makes it way too easy for players to camp the entire match, much like Spear Pillar.

Anyways, if you have a problem with the ruleset, you should try arguing in the Ruleset Discussion Thread; the Ike boards have no direct influence over the Smash Back Room, which are the members who vote to make the rules.

Note, however, that if both players agree to play on a stage then that stage can be played even if it is banned. So if you want to play on Warioware in a tournament and your opponent agrees, feel free to play on that stage. Also keep in mind that the ruleset is merely recommended for competitive play; feel free to play however you want. The competitive community has no desire to control how other people play.

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Delfino Isle isn't such a good stage, considering my experience playing on it... Especially not for Quick-Draw users. Mind not using it in mid-air... But thank goodness Quick-Draw stops Ike right at the edge. I've known Ike users to only use that move in circumstances where their opponent's damage is crucial to their score, but I'm an exception. A sole exception at the least. I use it whenever I find it possible to.

Even if it means risking my life, I head out there and cause some damage... But that's aside from the point.

Delfino Isle is bad for Ike when he's launched... I mean, he's a bad recoverer... Or at least I'm bad recovering with him. Anyhow, that's just MY opinion. :dizzy:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Fiend, friendly word of advise: Read up on how this game is actually played competitively. For example: you just said you use QD. You are now instantly a complete and utter scrub.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What's wrong with using QD?

...just not using it offstage trying to hit someone and kill yourself.
Stop playing with his mind Kirk.

There is also the whole "if you use it on stage, you will get shield'd and punished 95% of the time" aspect of QD. >_>

IkeFiend

Smash Ace

Fiend, friendly word of advise: Read up on how this game is actually played competitively. For example: you just said you use QD. You are now instantly a complete and utter scrub.
Lmfao, I can use Quick-Dash if I want. It's just the way I use my Ike. Everyone has their own way of using their Ike, and if I like to use this move, then that's my opinion. You can go ahead and stick to you ways, but fine by me. I understand everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and my LIKES are using Quick Dash when I feel like it. There's no necessity against it, so beat it.

Oh, by the way, you spelled 'Advise' wrong. It's Advice. Thanks.

Stop playing with his mind Kirk.

There is also the whole "if you use it on stage, you will get shield'd and punished 95% of the time" aspect of QD. >_>
If you're referring to me as a 'he', think again.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Well I've played against top-players, QD has almost never been a problem for me with recovering/approaching (the last I don't use, just once every 100 matches).
Anyways, I find Delfino comfortably to play on lately, with other chars also but with Ike the most, I seem to get an advantage in my spacing game really. Almost all of the stage-changes benefit Ike (not looking at the advantages your opponent gains) and you can pull off some nice mindgames with all the platforms that keep on changing. You can get early kills here too, which is good. Not one of his best stages, but imo a counterpick for certain chars like Snake (yeah I went there, and yeah, I mean it), chars with bad recoveries and MK.

Lmfao, I can use Quick-Dash if I want. It's just the way I use my Ike. Everyone has their own way of using their Ike, and if I like to use this move, then that's my opinion. You can go ahead and stick to you ways, but fine by me. I understand everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and my LIKES are using Quick Dash when I feel like it. There's no necessity against it, so beat it.

Oh, by the way, you spelled 'Advise' wrong. It's Advice. Thanks.
Using QD the way you want is fine, but note: the higher level of players you get to, the more you get punished for it. That's facts son.
Also, correcting people for spelling ''advice'' wrong is a wrong way to make friends, ''lmfao'' is also incorrect spelling, and you don't see me correcting you for a stupid overused internet line. Or did I? I just did....or did I...?
But whatever, these people don't try to harm you over internetz, they're trying to help you with your play, they're actually nice people....or are they? Mindgames...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sure, you can use it if you want: you'll just get destroyed if you even set foot in a tournament. It's Ike's worse attacking move by far (unless you count throws, then you could argue Uthrow is worse). It has nothing to do with liking it or not. It's facts, frame data, etc. It's one of his weakest knockback wise, meh range for the actual swing, easily blocked by reflex, slow to start charging, leaves you open for a year and a half, one of the worse recovery moves in the game due to "lol I AD'd in front of you, you die now".

Outside of pros knowing when they can get away with it, QD has one use. Tech chasing after Bthrow. And it's outclassed by Dash Attack in most cases anyways.

And chill it with the spelling. "Advise" is a word, just the wrong word so my spellcheck didn't pick it up.

EDIT: No offense Lu, but I don't think the Netherlands has any real pro players there.....seeing as 98% of them seem to be in the US. >_>

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Sure, you can use it if you want: you'll just get destroyed if you even set foot in a tournament. It's Ike's worse attacking move by far (unless you count throws, then you could argue Uthrow is worse). It has nothing to do with liking it or not. It's facts, frame data, etc. It's one of his weakest knockback wise, meh range for the actual swing, easily blocked by reflex, slow to start charging, leaves you open for a year and a half, one of the worse recovery moves in the game due to "lol I AD'd in front of you, you die now".

Outside of pros knowing when they can get away with it, QD has one use. Tech chasing after Bthrow. And it's outclassed by Dash Attack in most cases anyways.

And chill it with the spelling. "Advise" is a word, just the wrong word so my spellcheck didn't pick it up.

EDIT: No offense Lu, but I don't think the Netherlands has any real pro players there.....seeing as 98% of them seem to be in the US. >_>
Although this is true, in a 1v1 battle, the same rules do not apply. If your opponent is on the other side of the field, it's a great move to use. Like I said before, this is just my tactic, and it's not so bad. If you want to see the way I use it... Verse me online.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Although this is true, in a 1v1 battle, the same rules do not apply. If your opponent is on the other side of the field, it's a great move to use. Like I said before, this is just my tactic, and it's not so bad. If you want to see the way I use it... Verse me online.
Niddo was talking about in a 1v1 battle <_<. YagamiLight was of the same opinion as you and he even tested his hypothesis with facts, frame data, and using it in real matches. Eventually, he even came to believe that QD isn't good.

:025:

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Alrighty. You guys have your little Quick Draw discussions. =l I'm not an advanced Ike player anyways. I just love him, lol. <3

So I'ma go have some fun with Ikey. ^_^

Using QD the way you want is fine, but note: the higher level of players you get to, the more you get punished for it. That's facts son.
Also, correcting people for spelling ''advice'' wrong is a wrong way to make friends, ''lmfao'' is also incorrect spelling, and you don't see me correcting you for a stupid overused internet line. Or did I? I just did....or did I...?
But whatever, these people don't try to harm you over internetz, they're trying to help you with your play, they're actually nice people....or are they? Mindgames...
LOL. You're funny, you know? Who says I wanted to make friends? Ike's the only person I need. (Yes, I know, obsession, so get over it, fewlz.) ;3

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Quick draw has its uses, in the same sense that every move in the game has a use. The problem is when people go into the move not realizing that it is inherently bad and they develop terrible habits with it. It's easier to never use the move in the first place then ease it into your playstyle thaan overusing it then weening off of it.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Aside from that, delfino is one of ike's best stages. The idea that it's bad for him against much of anyone aside from maybe dedede and lucario (and it isnt even BAD for ike in this matchup as much as it is pretty good for lucario) is silly.

§leepy God

Smash Master
This thread is back?! Where has I've been... no wait, the titles to same. D:

Yea, a whole lot of characters do good in Delfino Plaza, of course characters with godly spikes do the best here, (Ness, Ike, Ganondorf, ROB, Lucas, etc), and of course, characters with great air game, (Meta Knight, Kirby, King Dedede, Pit), but that's just my point of view.

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Woot Woot. I suppose I need some Ike training then. D:<
I have plenty of work to do. COME ON, IKE. Let's get back to work~ *Munf Munf*

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Woot Woot. I suppose I need some Ike training then. D:<
I have plenty of work to do. COME ON, IKE. Let's get back to work~ *Munf Munf*
Well it's cool to know you're devoted anyways... don't mind us when we seem to be picking on you or other new members. We have no sympathy for people, even other Ike mains. Anyways, if you're actually serious about getting good with Ike, you could read over some guides here and stuff, and feel free to ask any questions you have in Ashunera's Library.

About Delfino, it's usually the only stage I CP if my opponent (or the tournament) banned PS. I love Delfino, it's not only good for Ike in a lot of ways, it's fun. When you get that 1 in a million chance to water spike someone, like when they're dumb enough to jump right into your Aether over the water, it's a lot easier to do than on PS cause you can see them underwater. I love it.

The only thing I don't like is that the platforms on the main stage are too high to effectively platform-shark with moves like Usmash, Utilt and Bair. I've found Uair works just fine in most cases though.

:034:

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Well it's cool to know you're devoted anyways... don't mind us when we seem to be picking on you or other new members. We have no sympathy for people, even other Ike mains. Anyways, if you're actually serious about getting good with Ike, you could read over some guides here and stuff, and feel free to ask any questions you have in Ashunera's Library.

About Delfino, it's usually the only stage I CP if my opponent (or the tournament) banned PS. I love Delfino, it's not only good for Ike in a lot of ways, it's fun. When you get that 1 in a million chance to water spike someone, like when they're dumb enough to jump right into your Aether over the water, it's a lot easier to do than on PS cause you can see them underwater. I love it.

The only thing I don't like is that the platforms on the main stage are too high to effectively platform-shark with moves like Usmash, Utilt and Bair. I've found Uair works just fine in most cases though.

:034:
Haha, thanks. Besides, I'm used to being picked on a lot for some reason... (Played an online game called BOTS and everyone flamed me because I was about the only girl that played it)... But I appreciate the assistance and will ask more questions when I get stuck on my little quest to become better with Ike.

And yeah, I've already read all of the 'Ike-Guide' and can't wait for more to be added onto it. Also (quite embarassingly), I've used Aether over the water and gotten myself killed plenty of times... I have big habits I need to break. Maybe for instance stop using my Quick Draw? D= I'll try... But Most of the time I use it for recovery. When I 1v1 my brother, and I use that to recover... He always hops right infront of the Quick Draw, making me hit him back onto the platform and I fall to my death.

So... I do kind of figure I should stop using that whenever I feel like it.

But thanks anyways! I'll take your advice. Especially noting the fact that I'll get no sympathy from Ikes. I'm a bit too sympathetic for Ike, but I'll still try! Now it's time to get back to training~

Ebby56

Smash Cadet
Do you guys feel that certain changes in Delfino's stage merit a difference in playstyle? Personally, especially against chaingrabbers, I tend to play more cautiously in the part of the stage with the umbrellas. I just feel it doesn't suit Ike very well.

WB40

Smash Apprentice
My Ike is pretty good on Delfino. The 2 islands are when I try to go for the big hits but the flying machine seems like a good place to dair my foes. The rooftops are brilliant for smash attacks too.

I am sorry if this is counted as a bump, as I am not familiar with the internet meaning of bump.

Top Bottom