• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Recovery Options (more specifically his quick-draw recovery)

Rochefortt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rochefortt264
Anyone else in a kind of grey area with getting back on stage with Ike? For me it's tremendously easier to recover high but I really doubt that will fly in competitive play. I usually like to use my second jump and DI away from the stage just before starting my quick draw so (unless they chased me extremely far off from the stage) I have the advantage of making them guess whether I'll wait until I'll go to ledge OR I'll use it early to possibly auto-cancel on to stage. The DI away really helps keep the distance and makes the opponents punish that much more difficult in my eyes.

Is that safe though? Everything tells me that it really shouldn't be, and those characters who are completely safe off stage can just completely take advantage of how much closer I am to the blast zones, but 9 times out of 10 it actually works. The amount of time it takes to figure out how they want edge-guard is more than enough to choose which I need to do to be safe.

And as for recovering low, is it just me or is it the easiest thing in the world to punish Ike's Aether? What with projectiles, counters, the huge opening you have right above you before you can catch the ledge. Anyone have any kind of fail safe? Lord knows I feel real bad when I keep getting pushed off edge with a projectile no matter how low I recover.

Thanks!

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
On a side note, I would advise that you look around the strategy thread or other existing threads regarding recovery, there's a lot of worthy info to be checked out.

Rochefortt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rochefortt264
Oh ok thanks! I've been having quite the look around as of late. Still getting used to the forums and what should go where and when to ask why

D

Deleted member 269706

Just learn how to mix it up. Don't do the same thing over and over, but do condition your opponent. When using quick draw, be careful recovering against characters who have counters cause they can just jump right into you. I find that utilizing platforms on a stage can also really help you out. For example, quick drawing on to a battle field platform as opposed to the main stage. The autocancel timing still applies to the platforms you just have to aim a little higher.

Top Bottom