• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's go-to moves?

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Of course you shouldn't use the same moves over and over. I'm an Ike noob and have been watching some videos of him, and noticed some things.

It seems people in videos use nairs quite a bit more often than fair (whereas I'm inclined to do the opposite). I've also noticed there isn't much use (like at all) of dair, and uair gets little use. For throws, I see dthrow more than the others, then probably uthrow at mid %'s, then rarely fthrow or bthrow. Lots of jabs, good few ftilts, some dtilts.

For my actual question, what are Ike's go-to moves? His overall best moves, useful in most situations? Moves which will improve my game the most when it comes to mastering timing and spacing?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It might be good to talk about applications of these moves.

Jab 1 is frame 4 and has good reach and jab 2 has better reach and isn't punishable on block.

F air autocancels at a shorthop, has good range and can be used in strings.

B air is quick, auto cancels at a shorthop and is our strongest aerial kill move. It's also safe on block if spaced.

N air has a great arc, minimal landing lag, combos into jab and grab and can lead into juggles.

Back throw sends them low and forces a bad angle for recovery, leading to edgeguards.

Down throw sets up combos and up throw does as well at higher percents.

D tilt has got range, quick and leads into f-airs. It is punishable on whiff though.

Up air combos out of d throw, has huge amount of active time and can beat out air dodges. Can also combo if you use a falling one on a grounded opponent.

Up smash has a wide arc, can cover ledge options and can punish rolls. Has strong ko power.

Up tilt is fast, good ko power and lingers. Can follow up combos on falling enemies with up tilt into an aerial.

The other moves get minimal use besides f tilt with pivots.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
B air is quick, auto cancels at a shorthop and is our strongest aerial kill move.
Dair is stronger actually. Bair does 14% while Dair does 15%. Dair is also good for reading and punishing air dodges.
Eruption is heavily underrated. It great for pressure if you keep charging it during edge guarding even after the enemy has grabbed the ledge, causing most ledge options to lead into a kill. Because it's barely used, not many people are aware of a fully charged Eruption's hitbox, or Furious Eruption (Which btw is very satisfying if you can get a kill with it.) Ignore the recoil damage, it will barely matter especially if you manage to score a hit. Which, more often then not, actually kills as low as 50%

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Huh. What are your thoughts on ftilt v. dtilt? When starting a match with an opponent immediately in front of me (like 8-player smash on a small stage), I've been using ftilt. Then again, I play against noobs, mostly.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Down tilt is better in neutral, f-tilt can be used as a punish tool and can kill.

When I say B-Air is our strongest killing aerial move, I literally mean it's our best and fastest aerial to kill with, not which does more damage.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Dair is stronger actually. Bair does 14% while Dair does 15%. Dair is also good for reading and punishing air dodges.
B-air is a crazy kill move. One of the best b-airs in the game. D-air is not very good. It's much slower and harder to hit with. It's the aerial I get the least utility out of.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
Never forget how much priority jab has. Eager opponents tend to, and a few jab combos/strings will get them a little more defensive.

Top Bottom