• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's gameplan?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Does Ike fall into the regular Fire Emblem archetype trend of trying to DD into a grab? or does his Side B jump cancel movement play more of a factor than I realize? Or could it be a mix of both or more? I see his combo game, but idk the neutral-into-offense plan.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I spent some time thinking about this, and I don't think there is a real answer I personally can give. It depends on the Ike and how they want to play. I originally was very aggressive, but my gameplan as of late has been to DD camp until I get a grab or a nair, then convert off of that. I usually create answers to problems I have as I go. I use Side-b to extend combos/tech chases or mix-up approaches and not much else. I think it just depends on the player.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think the optimal Ike neutral consists of both DD and QD. It doesn't take that much stage control to pull off a QD WD, and the habits you can get from your opponent off of a charging QD or a QD WD are really useful. Then as you utilize the DD portion of Ike's neutral, the threat of a sudden QD is always present.

BushidoBoyd

Smash Rookie
I'd say landing grabs, jab combos, jab to grabs, nair, and QD shenanigans are his main neutral game tools. His grab follow-ups are amazing so if you can get a grab consistently then you're doing fine. Dash dancing is hard with him vs speedy characters, i'll usually fox-trot moreso than dash dance, and condition them with certain quickdraw options, Then go for a QD JC Pivot grab or something, low % up throw, mid-high% forward/back throw to fair or QD rar bair, REALLY high % i usually go for d-throw, or if i just want to mix it up and get a tech chase. I have a bad habit of shielding too much with ike, knowing his out of shield game is complete ass lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom