• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs. Marth

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
I've been having a bit of trouble fighting against Marth with Ike lately. I think I have most of the matchup down in terms of onstage game, but my main issues against Marth are gimping him when he's offstage and recovering with Aether as Ike.

Usually whenever I try to recover as Ike with Aether, I just end up getting forward smashed over and over again by Marth, even when I try to perfectly sweetspot. It just doesn't seem like it 's possible for Ike to safely recover against most characters, especially ones who have disjoints.

And also, when Marth goes extremely low to recover, what can Ike do about that? Eruption maybe? grab the edge, force Marth onstage, then ledgehop bair or dair maybe?

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Either mix-up Quickdraw and Aether as recovery options or get as close as possible to the stage with Aether and SDI towards the stage and tech. The best answer is to not be in that situation to begin with, but that isn't what you want to hear (Since that is almost impossible). And when he is recovering, just grab the ledge and do a neutral get-up -> Down smash, if he goes on stage or whatever you prefer to use against Tethers.

Soapigeon

Smash Rookie
Depending on the stage, I like to mix in a quickdraw wall jump and then get back with either an aether or an air dodge recovery if I'm close enough to the edge

Last edited:

McStylo

Smash Rookie
NNID
McStylo
3DS FC
2020-0268-7687
Eruption is a great move to edge guard with because of it's super armor you can absorb the damage that dolphin slash gives you and still hit Marth on stage. Also it sends your opponents up-wards which is really good for follow ups, I know the feeling of getting frustrated by a Marth player since my friend only plays him. The more you play against Marth the more you'll realize what you can do against him, but do not give up! You'll eventually get the hang of the matchup.

Last edited:

BushidoBoyd

Smash Rookie
I've actually been having a lot of trouble with this matchup myself since marth is pretty much faster in EVERY way other than when Ike is quickdrawing. Another big thing is that marth has a quick hitbox in front of him, whereas Ike's quickest aerial with a forward hitbox is nair, which is still underwhelmingly slow in comparison. Marth obviously has a better dash dance as well, but it seems like Ike needs less reads to kill, even though neutral game is a bit of a struggle.

My friend has a really good marth and i usually will sweetspot aether, and sdi/tech the f-smash, it works sometimes but not every time. If you can wall jump, that is a good recovery mix-up as well. And whenever someone goes REALLY low, i mean OBVIOUSLY trying to sweetspot low, i'll use eruption in most cases. If you time it properly you'll get the spike hitbox, which reaches beneath the sweetspot and will banish Marth to the shadow realm lol. If you don't have time, and have realatively low % (just in case you mis-time) down tilt it a good, quick alternative, and nobody ever expects it to hit lol, i haven't had anyone meteor cancel the hit even once. Against Marth i'm guessing you can crouch cancel his up-b and low percent and down tilt on reaction if he overshoots.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Sorry bruh, but ike just has his hands tied with marth, best thing you can do is QD, JC, grab for approach. Nairs and rar-bairs. Edge game, if he's in a position where you can fair him do it will more than likely push him out beyond his recovery. Low, I like dair. Reaches low and usually don't get hit from the up b if timed correctly. But yeah lol you'll probably lose, alot.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what Matty89 Matty89 said.
Don't go fair crazy in neutral, in fact this is why I don't main Ike (I can't resist the urge)

Top Bottom